Monday, July 31, 2006

Posted by Tom on 7/31/2006 09:07:00 PM :

New interview with Chris Staros over at Independent Propaghanda. Part one reveals him being cool with Thompson moving his next book to Pantheon. The whole move appears to be amicable. Chris doesn't blame Craig for taking the deal at all. Thompson is going to release Kissypoo Garden thru Top Shelf next year. It's good to hear as I haven't heard anything but white noise from the journal boards about it till now.

It's always interesting to hear the behind the scenes stuff. Top Shelf has alot of heart and really believes in what they publish.

Posted by Dara on 7/31/2006 06:12:00 PM :

A personal rant (please skip if not interested)

Fuck you, Lifestyle "Family" Fitness center.

So on my drive home this afternoon, I caught a segment on All Things Considered where they interviewed Eric Klinenberg, the author of Heat Wave: A Social Autopsy of Disaster in Chicago. The book recounts the devastating heat wave that hit Chicago in 1995, killing over 700 people.

You read that correctly, by the way. 700 people in the city died of heat related causes.

The author talked about how the victims of these types of natural disasters tend to be the more disadvantaged and disenfranchised members of society: the poor, the elderly, those living alone and isolated, and people without the means to get to "cool zone" shelters. His book is a call to arms to local governments to put into effect a plan to mitigate such natural disasters.

Just as the segment ended, I was preparing to stop and pick up some groceries, when I saw it.

A person, dressed in a full-on ape suit (as in a fur-covered costume,) standing by the road in the 95 degree heat of today, with a sign announcing $100 off membership at the Lifestyle Family Fitness center. I'm sure you've seen similar scenes yourself. Around here, retailers regularly hire some poor slob to dress up like Uncle Sam or a clown or a monkey, and stand at a busy intersection for a whole day, carrying a sign advertising their business.

I've had this conversation with Wendy several times, because frankly we both think it's an absolutely shitty and degrading thing to do to someone. And believe me, I completely understand that it's the person's choice to accept that "job" and that nobody is forcing them to do it. And yes, they're getting paid for their trouble. Hey, who could argue with that sweet, enviable minimum wage lucre, eh? But you know what? Just because there are people out there desperate enough to do an unpleasant, degrading job doesn't make it ok for businesses to choose such tactics. There's no reason, no reason, why they have to resort to this crap when there are easily dozens of other avenues for marketing and advertising.

So anyway, I ended up doing something I've never done before. I walked into this multi-million dollar fitness center catering squarely to the yuppies of Upper Arlington and shared my thoughts with the couldn't-care-less desk jockey (no manager to be found anywhere.)

"For what it's worth, and I know I'm just expressing my opinion on this and it probably won't affect your practices, I think it's pretty degrading and deplorable to hire a guy to wear a fur costume and stand out in 95 degree weather to advertise your store. Especially given the fact that you're supposedly concerned with fitness and people's health."

Blank stare. Then, "I don't understand your point." Then pretending to answer a call. Then once again, "I guess I don't understand what you're saying. He works here, it was his idea to do this."

Right. Fuck you.

Nobody, nobody, who works at a fancy, air conditioned gym in a rich neighborhood suddenly decides one day that it would be quite a nifty idea to dress like a monkey and stand by a busy street in 95 degree weather. That person doesn't work there anymore than the condescending desk jockey douche cared about how their business chose to advertise itself.

Anyway, I'm sure some folks this rant will come off as petty, or making a mountain out of a molehill, but I don't care. I know my going in there and telling them off won't affect them one bit, but I felt I had to at least say something. And if you're at all interested, I encourage you to drop these asshats a line and tell them how you feel about their bullshit practices. Their number is 614-326-1500, or you can e-mail them at HEN@lff.com

Who knows, maybe if they hear from enough people they'll think twice about business as usual the next time they want to stick some poor schmuck in a costume and throw them out in the heat.

Posted by Dara on 7/31/2006 12:27:00 PM :

Something old, something new

It's a potpouri of links for ya today...

Former Iron Man artist and failed publisher Bob Layton has a free webcomic up on his site. Colony is a sci-fi tale set on a prison planet. Art by DC veteran Dick Giordano, story by Layton. 5 pages posted every month.

This one you can file under "hot naked man action" (Google hits, come to pappa!) The pilot episode for the failed Aquaman TV series (from the same folks who brought you Smallville) is available for download thrugh iTunes. Only 2 bucks.

If you can't find it in iTunes, try this link.

Posted by T.McClurg on 7/31/2006 08:59:00 AM :

Beating back the rust....

I've been listening to a lot of Johnny Cash lately while trying to get back into the drawing thing. It's amazing how the day job can suck your will to create, especially if your day job is in a creative field... I'm probably preaching to the choir though.

Cash

Permalink for this post by T.McClurg || 0 comments || e-mail to a friend:

Posted by Dara on 7/31/2006 08:36:00 AM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

He's a big name now. But his art sucked when he first started out. Guess the artist!

(click image to go medieval)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005, 11/14/2005, 11/21/2005, 11/28/2005, 12/5/2005, 12/12/2005, 12/19/2005, 12/26/2005, 1/2/2006, 1/9/2006, 1/16/2006, 1/23/2006, 1/30/2006, 2/06/2006, 2/13/2006, 2/20/2006, 2/27/2006, 3/6/2006, 3/13/2006, 3/20/2006, 3/27/2006, 4/3/2006, 4/4/2006, 4/5/2006, 4/6/2006, 4/7/2006, 4/8/2006, 4/9/2006, 4/10/2006, 4/17/2006, 4/23/2006, 5/1/2006, 5/8/2006, 5/15/2006, 5/22/2006, 5/29/2006, 6/5/2006, 6/12/2006, 6/19/2006, 6/26/2006, 7/3/2006, 6/10/2006, 6/17/2006, 6/24/2006)

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Posted by Tom on 7/30/2006 10:32:00 PM :

08.. 07.. 06..
Via a group effort, the Chemistry Set's site is up and active. Sporting a new logo by your's truly. Soon it will be full of comic goodness. Oh yes. New webcomics every day from various group members.

Posted by Tom on 7/30/2006 12:15:00 PM :

Let's all wish fellow Cbus artist Chris Sprouse a happy 40th birthday! I didn't even know till I spotted it on Spurgeon's site. Co-creator of one of my favorite books Tom Strong. Happy birthday Chris.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Posted by Tony on 7/29/2006 07:24:00 PM :

From cuteoverload.com, presented without comment.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Posted by Tony on 7/28/2006 11:20:00 AM :

$24 for THAT?

Batman belt buckle:

Too geeky? Or just geeky enough????

I don't have a lot of comix-themed apparel. I can't convince anyone I'm wearing it ironically.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/27/2006 12:38:00 PM :

San Diego Con anecdote, part 2

My flight out to the show routed me through Cincinnati. On the plane from Cinci to San Diego, I noticed a guy in the seat across the aisle reading a Preacher TPB. No doubt another con traveler.

But the real "small world" portion of this story is the guy sitting next to me. I noticed he was reading some toy and card game magazines, and asked if he was going out to the con. He said yes, and we started talking. When I showed him Andy's sketches for my presentation, he said "Oh yeah, I know Andy. I've worked with him and Dave Aiken." Now, my memory is failing me here, but I'm pretty sure he said his name was Wayne, and he used to work at Journeyman Press. That's the gaming company that put out the Zombie game Aiken worked on, right? Anyway, not only did I sit next to the guy on the flight, but I actually ended up running into him again at the con. Twice. Believe me, at a show with 100,000 attendees, those are strange odds.

Oh, and I ran into Jeff Carlisle on the convention floor as well.

One final thought: if I never see another person wearing these damn Naruto metal headband thingies, it won't be soon enough.

I saw literally hundreds of kids at the show sporting these obnoxious $30 accessories. Talk about sheep led around by marketing execs.

Posted by Tom on 7/27/2006 12:23:00 AM :

Hanso exposed!
This had to of been staged. A lady claiming to be Rachel Blake interupted the Lost Q&A at SDCC. You Tube has the whole scene. Hansoexposed is here which furthers the stagey-ness of it.

*not Rachel Blake but this pic amuses me none the less. (off the fanta blog)

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Posted by Tom on 7/26/2006 09:32:00 PM :

Who the F' is Dan Goldman indeed?

Dan just announced his (and Antony Lappe's) book deal with Warner's this week. Shooting War appears on Smith Magazine's site.

The premise:

'The year is 2011, and Jimmy Burns, a young anti-corporate blogger has just seen his Williamsburg apartment blown to bits by yet another terrorist attack on New York City. He’s recorded the gruesome scene on his videoblog camera—footage Burns beams live to a freaked-out world and that makes him an overnight media sensation. Exploited by his own network (Global News: “Your home for 24-hour terror coverage”), enraged by the terrorists, and determined to tell the American people the truth, Burns takes off for Iraq to get the real story of a war that’s been raging for more than eight years.'

If you haven't checked out Dan's Styx Taxi, you should.

*he's the guy not in the moose costume. The SDCC pics on his LJ, well they're bold. Maybe Brave and Bold. Ass shots and groping galore.

Posted by T.McClurg on 7/26/2006 12:13:00 PM :

What are you going to do, BROTHER?

This is totally not comics related, but I went to WWE Raw on Monday night here in Cleveland. Being that I haven't been a wrestling fan since I was about 10 (1987) it was the last place I would expect to find myself. The ticket was free...ok. I don't get away from the house much...ok. Making an appearance would be non other than the Hulkster...fuck yea! It was insane...83-87 were my Hulkamaniac years. Monday night there was no way i was pushing 30. I was totally a kid for those 20 or so minutes Hulk was in the ring.

Two things I noticed...the fan set was pretty similar to what you find at most capes and tights cons. And secondly, in person the entertainers really seem to be having a great time doing their thing. The fakeness of the wrasslin' was totally offset by how into their character these guys were. It was completely a modern day traveling circus and totally worth the free admission.

Before the Hulkamania runs it's course I whipped up a little sketchbook childhood idolatry.

Enjoy, brother.

Hulkster

Bundy

Permalink for this post by T.McClurg || 0 comments || e-mail to a friend:

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/25/2006 06:48:00 PM :

Rocket Science update

The new issue of Melt magazine is out, and with it another Rocket Science strip by Tim "The Terrible" Fischer and myself. For those of you unable to pick up a copy, you can always check it out online. We're on page 60.

This time around, we poke fun at the sacred cow of Columbus, the OSU football team. Let the hate mail begin!

Posted by Dara on 7/25/2006 01:25:00 PM :

San Diego Con anecdote

So I was wondering the ginormous convention floor on Saturday and noticed several tables of longboxes with "Scratch n' Dent Indie Comix - $1 each" signs on them. Well shoot, I likes me the indie comic, I thought. So I started digging through them.

There were all sorts of books to be found. Manga, early 80s black & white books, late 90s art books, modern indie fare, etc.

Then I came across a copy of McKeever and Tom's book, Looking Through the Front Door. "Cool," I thought.

And then I came across a copy of Panel: Space (without the band.) "Holy crap, that's one of our books!" I proclaimed. Here, in San Diego, thousands of miles from home, a Panel book! A gentleman behind the counter noticed me staring at the book and asked if I needed any help.

"Yeah," I said. "This is one of my books! I'm curious where you get your books from?"

"Oh, we get them direct from the publishers."

"Really? You don't go through a distributor like Cold Cut?"

"We are Cold Cut."

That's when I looked up and noticed the giant "Cold Cut Indy Island" sign.

D'uh.

And I had even passed by the same booth half a dozen times the previous couple of days. Then again, that show is so huge, everything tends to run together after a while.

Anyway, they also had a metric assload of graphic novels for sale "by the pound," specifically $8/pound. So I ended up picking up the $60 hardcover collection of Scott Morse's Soulwind saga for a mere $10.

Right on, Cold Cut, right on.

Posted by Dara on 7/25/2006 08:40:00 AM :

Your art moment of the day: sculptures

Here's a cool gallery of weird and wonderful sculptures from around the world. I'm a huge fan of public art, especially the creative installations that take into account their setting (i.e. by the water, on top of a building, etc.)

Strange Statues Around the World

(via boingboing)

Monday, July 24, 2006

Posted by Tony on 7/24/2006 04:25:00 PM :

You never go ATM!

I am pleasantly surprised to report that Clerks II does not suck. In fact, it's actually really funny.

In fact it was so good that I ended up talking to the guys who sat behind me as we were leaving the theater. One of them volunteered that it "owned." I agreed, whereas I was expecting it to really suck.

Surprisingly good is Brian O'Halloran. He doesn't quite make you believe two hot women would be after him, but he is endearing. Jeff Anderson picks up right where he left off. And after 10 years in the mainstream, Kevin Smith manages to still have some good transgressive laffs up his sleeve.

Thank you, Hollywood, for not pissing on the grave of another childhood memory.

Posted by Dara on 7/24/2006 11:02:00 AM :

Congratulations to DJ!

DJ Coffman won the Comic Book Challenge! Congrats, DJ. Here's a look at his page of art:

For more on DJ's submission, drop by his website. Also, be sure to check out his long-running webcomic.

Posted by Dara on 7/24/2006 08:54:00 AM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

Ok, enough with the Comic Book Challenge and San Diego stuff. Let's get back to our weekly fun fearure! Guess away, my friends. And yes, it's yet another Green Lantern page!

(click image to greenify)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005, 11/14/2005, 11/21/2005, 11/28/2005, 12/5/2005, 12/12/2005, 12/19/2005, 12/26/2005, 1/2/2006, 1/9/2006, 1/16/2006, 1/23/2006, 1/30/2006, 2/06/2006, 2/13/2006, 2/20/2006, 2/27/2006, 3/6/2006, 3/13/2006, 3/20/2006, 3/27/2006, 4/3/2006, 4/4/2006, 4/5/2006, 4/6/2006, 4/7/2006, 4/8/2006, 4/9/2006, 4/10/2006, 4/17/2006, 4/23/2006, 5/1/2006, 5/8/2006, 5/15/2006, 5/22/2006, 5/29/2006, 6/5/2006, 6/12/2006, 6/19/2006, 6/26/2006, 7/3/2006, 6/10/2006, 6/17/2006)

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/22/2006 09:46:00 PM :

San Diego Con burnout

I'm done. Two and a half days of the show and I'm completely wiped out.

This show is like Vegas: loud, gaudy, obnoxious, fascinating, and a total sensory overload. Much like Vegas, everyone should try it at least once. But honestly, once is more than enough.

I got to meet Patrick and Shannon, the cool guys that run the Komikwerks.com site. Also met up and had lunch with mpMann, the awesome artist on a couple of my Lifelike strips. Made a few contacts, bought a bunch of cheap graphic novels, and took tons of pictures (coming soon.)

The one picture I didn't get: nearly 7 foot tall drag queen Supergirl, and his/her companion, pretty boy Nightwing. It was a sight to behold.

Update: Comic Book resources got the picture I mentioned above. Click here, if you dare.

One last comment before I sign off: I attended the Lost panel, and as big of a comic book geek I may be, I have to say the Lost fans put the rest of us geeks to shame. The question and answer session was a surreal spectacle of masturbatory fawning. Yeesh.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/21/2006 12:06:00 PM :

2006 Comic Book Challenge diary: my pitch, vote for the winner

My friend Tony recorded the live stream and posted my pitch on YouTube. You can see it here.

Cringe at my mad public speaking skillz (or lack thereof.) Listen to Gale Ann Hurd's utter silence. Wonder at People magazine guy saying "Am I just dense, because I don't get it." Laugh as Marc Silvestri says "No, you're just dense."

So now the three finalists have been posted at the Comic Book Challenge website. Longtime indy comic and webcomic creator DJ Coffman is one of the finalists, and gets my vote. Not just because he put together a solid, enjoyable story, but because he's a really nice guy to boot. DJ's one of those guys who goes out of his way to share all the tips and tricks he's discovered, as opposed to keeping everything close to the vest. We hung out during the morning of the pitch sessions, and he had the unenviable position of being the 3rd person (out of a field of 50) to do his pitch.

Good luck to all the finalists, and congratulations for making the cut.

Posted by Dara on 7/21/2006 12:08:00 AM :

2006 Comic Book Challenge diary: pitch day

First off, thanks for everyone who watched the webcast and posted in the comments section of the previous post. Much appreciated.

Well, since I didn't get "the call," I think it's safe to say I didn't make the cut as one of three finalists. I can't say that I'm surprised, as the reaction from the judges wasn't as positive as it was towards some of the earlier pitches I saw. But I'll be honest, I'm a bit disappointed. Partly in myself, because I feel I could have done a better job with the pitch. And partly with the fact that the judges didn't ask as many questions about the story and the characters as I was hoping for.

By the way, whoever said in the comments section that "The guy on the end (from PEOPLE?) is dumb" was pretty much right on the money. I don't know if it was just an act ("hey, we need someone to be our version of that that tool, Simon Cowell. Do you think you could be "that guy"?) or if he was just really, really, really opinionated and full of himself.

Regardless, it was quite an experience, and despite my stressing and nervousness, I had a good time with the whole process.

Plus, I got some positive feedback from Marc Silvestri (aka "cute guy," according to Wendy) and he even shut down the People magazine guy for me. In case you couldn't hear it in the audio, the guy made the comment "I just don't get your story. I mean, am I just dense? Because I don't get it." To which Silvestri replied "No, you're just tdense."

I hit the con proper for a few hours in the afternoon. Caught the Deepak Chopra/Grant Morrison panel. Also known as "Metaphysical Mindfuck 2006." I'll post more about that, and the show, tomorrow. For now, I'm going to go crash.

PS. Thanks again for all your support and positive comments.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Posted by Matt Kish on 7/20/2006 06:33:00 PM :

MIGHTY (TALKATIVE) AVENGERS

Via Newsarama comes this report from the San Diego Comicon regarding Brian Michael Bendis' and Frank Cho's new book The Mighty Avengers. Bendis had this to say--

“Mighty Avengers will have big world threatening situations to deal with at all times. New heroes interacting with each other in a situation some of them have never been in before. To do this I have chosen some techniques that are not what I am most known for. But fun is the word of the day. Though we're very serious about our craft, the agenda is to make a spectacle of superhero extravaganza that you can only get from a top-flight Avengers title!”

Puh-lease. Now, don't jump all over me. I'm not a Bendis-hater by any means. I quite enjoy a lot of his work and think he has some absolutely fantastic books. But there are certain things he does not do well, and even though he seems to be alluding to his own weaknesses in that quote above, I just can't imagine this book being good. The world about to be destroyed by Ultron? Let's have Cap and the Wasp spend some time on a rooftop just talking on and on and on about what it means to wear the costume. The Masters of Evil are back? Heck, just show 8 or 9 pages of Spiderwoman and Ms. Marvel discussing how icky the guys can be. It all seems about as appropriate as getting Raina Telgemeier to write and draw "Wolverine."

Permalink for this post by Matt Kish || 0 comments || e-mail to a friend:

Posted by Tom on 7/20/2006 12:01:00 AM :

Fox Atomic and Harper Collins throw their collective hat into the comics ring. Offering original material along with licenced crap. Jimmy Palmotti will edit. Most of the announced license offerings are on the horror tip. You can read more over at the Beat. Note to self- send a portfolio to Jimmy. Channel the spooky.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Posted by Tom on 7/19/2006 11:58:00 PM :

Holy Crap!

the Potlatch anthology finally came out today. I spied a copy at the Ogre. Mostly I posted this for Chad's sake. They found a decent printer though I liked the matte finish on the comp copy. Still the print quality is good so I should count my blessings.

Posted by Tony on 7/19/2006 04:11:00 PM :

Someday you'll thank us

Because at some point in your comic book career, you'll need to draw something supercute. And now you know how.

This is apparently a planning document from Warner Bros. Thanks to Cute Overload for it.

Posted by Dara on 7/19/2006 09:51:00 AM :

Renaissance animated movie

I don't know anything about this French movie (to be distributed this fall in the US by Miramax,) but I love the noir look of the animation. Seems to be motion-capture and CGI, but the whole thing is done in stark black and white, emphasis on the black. There's a short clip at the official site:

Renaissance.

"Paris, 2054. Live forever or die trying."

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/18/2006 06:26:00 PM :

The Muppet personality test

Apparently, I'm an overstressed green frog who likes bacon a bit too much...

You Are Kermit

Hi, ho! Lovable and friendly, you get along well with everyone you know.

You're a big thinker, and sometimes you over think life's problems.

Don't worry - everyone know's it's not easy being green.

Just remember, time's fun when you're having flies!

Posted by Dara on 7/18/2006 03:51:00 PM :

2006 Comic Book Challenge diary: prep work

I'm planning on blogging my experiences during this whole endeavor. To start off, some miscellaneous odds and ends before I leave for San Diego tomorrow:

a) Strike 1 - Kinko's needs at least 2 days to transfer an image to a t-shirt, so my plan to make a Twilight Order logo shirt and wear it to the pitch session has been nixed. Stupid Stinko's.

b) TV ad - via YouTube, you can watch the TV ad that the San Diego NBC station apparently ran to promote the contest. Yes, they managed to work in the ubiquitous "Pow" sound effect. Ugh.

c) Pipe bomb - I designed what I thought was a cool and unique little contraption to aid in displaying artwork during the pitch. Sort of a giant scroll on a stand thingie. But since it involves transporting a hollow metal tube and a couple of oddly shaped aluminum blocks in my luggage...you see where I'm going with this, right? Best not to tempt fate (and the TSA,) so I'm switching to plan B: make several smaller scrolls, and take a collapsible easel.

d) Watch live - The Thursday morning pitch sessions will be streamed live, so you too can enjoy my nervousness and discomfort in front of the TV cameras. I believe they are set to begin at 9 AM PST, so for all you Columbus kids, tune in on your lunch break at noon. You can watch on the official Comic Book Challenge site or the San Diego NBC site.

Posted by Dara on 7/18/2006 11:21:00 AM :

PBF Rules!

I've often posted here about my favorite webcomic, The Perry Bible Fellowship. It is consistently one of the most clever, twisted, funniest comic strips out there. And the latest strip one is no exception.

Behold: Guntron Alliance Force.

It took me a couple of seconds to get the joke. Awesome stuff from creator Nicholas Gurewitch.

Posted by Dara on 7/18/2006 09:58:00 AM :

My Name Is Oni, ...er, Earl

Here's your odd comics news for the day:
"This winter, Oni Press returns to licensed comics with a new series based on the smash NBC hit comedy MY NAME IS EARL!"
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I love the show, as I find it to be very enjoyable with a lot of clever writing and downright likeable characters. But I'm not so sure it'll work as a comic. Sort of like how The Simpsons and Futurama are both excellent shows, but the comic book versions don't do anything for me.

Nevertheless, I think Tom should pester his editor into letting him draw one of the stories (sounds like they'll have a rotating series of artists.)

Monday, July 17, 2006

Posted by Tony on 7/17/2006 02:17:00 PM :

Two kinds of comix fans

I think there are two kinds of comix fans.

But I can't decide what the two categories are.

Superman people vs. Batman people

X-Men people vs. JLA people

Kyle Raynor people vs. Hal Jordan people

Dinah Lance people vs. Dinah Laurel Lance people

Kirby people vs. Eisner people

Morpheus people vs. Wesley Dodds people

What do you think? Personally, I'm a Wesley Dodds man.

Posted by Dara on 7/17/2006 10:53:00 AM :

C-bus one of "best cities to live in"

Well, according to Money magazine, that is. In their list of 10 Best Big Cities, Columbus ranks #8.

Posted by Dara on 7/17/2006 08:10:00 AM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

We take another break from our Green Lantern pages this week. Instead, here's a black & white page from a non-superhero story.

(By the way, last week's page was from a fantastic short story written by Alan moore. Look in the comments section of that page for more details.)

(click image to empire-size)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005, 11/14/2005, 11/21/2005, 11/28/2005, 12/5/2005, 12/12/2005, 12/19/2005, 12/26/2005, 1/2/2006, 1/9/2006, 1/16/2006, 1/23/2006, 1/30/2006, 2/06/2006, 2/13/2006, 2/20/2006, 2/27/2006, 3/6/2006, 3/13/2006, 3/20/2006, 3/27/2006, 4/3/2006, 4/4/2006, 4/5/2006, 4/6/2006, 4/7/2006, 4/8/2006, 4/9/2006, 4/10/2006, 4/17/2006, 4/23/2006, 5/1/2006, 5/8/2006, 5/15/2006, 5/22/2006, 5/29/2006, 6/5/2006, 6/12/2006, 6/19/2006, 6/26/2006, 7/3/2006, 6/10/2006)

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/16/2006 07:58:00 PM :

BBVD and H

Last night, Wendy, Hanna and I saw Big Bad Voodoo Daddy perform with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra at the Picnic with the Pops series. It was hotter than hell (the weather,) though the band was on fire too. As lead singer Scotty Morris noted, while the audience was sweating in their shorts and t-shirts, the band members were wearing wool suits.

Hanna was excited to get autographs from all 8 band members after the show, several of whom also signed her beach ball. Here are a few pictures from the show, including Hanna with members of the band.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Posted by Tom on 7/14/2006 08:26:00 PM :

My online pal/collaborator Vito Delsante just issued this press release. He'll be kickin' it at the DC Booth in San Diego next week. I thought I'd pass it on..

SCOOBY DOO WRITER TO APPEAR AT SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON
Writer Vito Delsante To Appear At DC Comics Booth

(July 14, 2006/New York, NY) Freelance writer and retailer, Vito Delsante, will be appearing at Comic-Con International, which takes place in San Diego, CA from July 20-23. While there, Delsante will be promoting his current work in DC Comics’ SCOOBY DOO title. “I’m really proud of the work I’ve done for SCOOBY and I’m hoping that fans of all ages come by to meet me,” Delsante said.

Delsante’s work appears in SCOOBY DOO #109 (“Seaside Frights” with comic legend, Joe Staton), which was released on June 21st, and SCOOBY DOO #110, which will hit stores on the Wednesday before the convention, July 19th. “I’m letting everyone know about the book so they can bring their copies with them. I’m also encouraging attending retailers to bring the book with them,” he added, “as this would usually be a book that slips through the cracks.”

For those that haven’t picked up the book, or will be in San Diego when #110 ships, Delsante offered this helpful hint: “Here is a list of comic shops in San Diego and the immediate area that you can stop by to grab your copies of SCOOBY DOO #109 and #110:

Comickaze Comics, Cards, Video & More
5517 A/B Clairemont Mesa Blvd., San Diego, CA, 92117
Ph: (858) 278-0371

Artifex Entertainment
9839 Mira Mesa Blvd., San Diego, CA, 92131
Ph: (858) 566-0506

Comic City
4570 Alvarado Canyon Rd., San Diego, CA, 92120
Ph: (619) 281-8013

Comic Gallery: Date info last verified: 06/01/02
4224 Balboa Ave., San Diego, CA, 92117
Ph: (858) 483-4853

These are four among many. For more locations, call the Comic Shop Locator Service at 1-888-COMIC BOOK and use Zip Code 92112 (the Zip Code for the Convention Center).”

“From the infamous Coney Island Mermaid Parade to prize cows supposedly abducted by aliens, Vito Delsante has delivered some truly original—and fun—Scooby-Doo stories, filled with all of the classic mystery, comedy and adventure elements that one looks for in a Scooby tale,” said SCOOBY DOO editor, Michael Siglain. “Plus, Vito’s knowledge and love for the medium is not only blatantly obvious, it’s contagious.”

Vito’s work can also be seen in the following comic books:

∙ Batman Adventures #9 (DC Comics)
∙ Reflux Comics #3 (Reflux)
∙ X-Men Unlimited Volume 2 / #5 (Marvel Comics)
∙ Beowulf #7 (Speakeasy Comics)

Vito Delsante has been a freelance writer for 5 years now, writing for DC Comics, Marvel Comics and a few other independent publishers. He also has over 8 years experience in the retailing arena, working for the past 5 years at Jim Hanley’s Universe, a NYC-based chain that has been an institution for over 20 years.

Posted by Dara on 7/14/2006 03:42:00 PM :

Map of the island on Lost

You know, usually when people spend hundreds of hours studying a work of fiction just to produce a detailed map of the fictional world where their favorite fictional characters live and interact, they're called comic book geeks.

Unless, of course, it's a map of the island in the TV show Lost.

Hope you have a special cartographer's printing press for this sucker: Geographical Study of Lost.

Posted by Tony on 7/14/2006 01:45:00 PM :

Information Architecture

Information Architecture is related to Web site design. It is the art/science of arranging information in a logical manner, so that it can be easily found by browsers.

Apparently Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" is a well-known book in Information Architecture. It has a lot of good ideas on how to present information visually.

I picked up that little factoid at an Information Architecture workshop the other day.

Posted by Tony on 7/14/2006 01:42:00 PM :

Whoops! My bad.

I just read Suicide Squad No. 1 from 1987. It centers around a group of superpowered terrorists known as the Jihad, who are sponsored by a Middle Eastern country called Qurac.

Dangit, George! You mistook your intel reports for your back issues again!

Posted by Dara on 7/14/2006 12:58:00 PM :

Watch The Amazing Screw-on Head online

The 23 minute episode is available for viewing online. Voice talent of Paul Giamatti, David Hyde Pierce, and Molly Shannon. Enjoy.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/13/2006 04:43:00 PM :

Your political moment of the day

Right on!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Posted by Tony on 7/12/2006 05:03:00 PM :

The Science of Star Wars

Well, the short answer to the "science of Star Wars" is ... there isn't any.

I got to see COSI Columbus' new Star Wars exhibit the other day, and that was pretty much the main takeaway. The phrase they use for all of George Lucas' handwavium is "fantasy technology."

The best part is where they're trying to explain lightsabers. They can't be lasers, because lasers don't stop after three feet. THey might be a form of plasma, although Earthbound plasma generators are the size of a small house and use enough power to run Cambridge, Mass.

Still, there are some fun hands-on activities about maglev trains, robots, and things of that nature. It's the only exhibit out there to include artifacts from all three movies -- including a 6-foot Millenium Falcom model used in the movies -- which should satisfy the Star Wars geek in you.

And if you're as lucky as I am, you'll see a little girl burst into screaming tears at the sight of the Vader costume.

Posted by Craig on 7/12/2006 04:29:00 PM :

Now I'll quit my bitching

My Grail quest continued the other day: a nephew was having a sixth birthday, and I hoped against hope that I could find an all ages-accessible comic book to give as a gift subscription. The kid digs Star Wars, so I asked if there were any such titles that were ongoing series’ rather than mini’s. Turns out there are three, but the guy at the Ogre said that none of them were suitable for such a young kid to read. I say again, this is Star Wars I was asking about; episode three may have been a little dark for the youngest viewers and #2 simply unwatchable, but these movies are kid-friendly; why the heck shouldn’t the comics be? (I ended up leaving with a digest-sized book based on the Clone Wars cartoons. Close, but…)

Quite unexpectedly, I found this instead:

Despite being a longtime fan of John Byrne, my reason for picking up this book was the writer, Gail Simone. I stumbled across her while Byrne was drawing Action, and found those Superman stories to be exactly what I’ve been bitching about missing; self-contained stories with great characters which were sophisticated yet accessible to any reader, with a good dose of the aw-shucks idealism the title character needs to carry. Unfortunately, I read only a few issues before the Infinite Crisis crossover hijacked Simone’s stories, soon followed by the creative team’s departure.

Lo and behold, they’ve turned up in The Atom, which despite that shoddy cover has become my new favorite title. This issue introduces the main character, a great backdrop for the series (a college campus), and a strong supporting cast who are not merely extensions of the crimefighter’s role (a la Jim Gordon). On top of this, the first issue has a great sequence wherein the titular character first discovers his powers and Simone and Byrne actually convey the proper sense of wonder as a simple desktop becomes a bizarre alien landscape. After years of reading books wherein the power of flight seems mundane, it's great to see a series of pages devoted to a person being amazed by the discovery of his new abilities. Screw Watchmen or Dark Knight, this is the book I’ll be using to introduce people to comics. Consider it endorsed by the cranky old man, and I’ll put my money where my mouth is and fill out a couple subscription forms for the kids, as well.

Here’s hoping it sticks around for a while with this team at the helm; since the title doesn’t have “Spider-“, “Super-“, “Bat-“ or “X-“ in it, it’s life expectancy is about eighteen issues.

Permalink for this post by Craig || 0 comments || e-mail to a friend:

Posted by Dara on 7/12/2006 03:34:00 PM :

I'm going to San Diego!

Ok, this is the big announcement I hinted at earlier...

So, I saw a banner ad for The Comic Book Challenge a few days before the deadline for submissions. It's a contest sponsored by Platinum Studios and the San Diego NBC affiliate where they invite creators to pitch them a comic book idea. Since it was the 4th of July weekend and I had some time, I decided on a whim to enter it. In about an hour I wrote a synopsis for a graphic novel treatment of the Twilight Order idea I had come up with in the Panel: Luck story. I marked Andy as the co-creator, attached the art for our short story, and sent it off. I honestly didn't think anything would come of it.

I guess I was wrong.

Last night I was informed via e-mail that my pitch was selected as one of the 50 semi-finalists.

So the deal is I have to fly out to San Diego next week (on my dime, sadly) and I get 2 minutes to pitch my story to the 4 judges: Marc Silvestri, Scott Mitchell Rosenberg (from Platinum Studios), Oliver Jones (People magazine staffer,) and Gale Anne Hurd. Yes, as in the executive producer of the Terminator films, not to mention The Abyss, Aliens, and a ton of others.

Yeah, I'm nervous as hell.

Last minute ticket and hotel costs suck, but on the other hand this is a pretty unique opportunity. Even if I don't advance to the 3 finalist spots, it will be a damn cool experience.

Now all I need to do is figure out my 2 minute perfect pitch session...

Posted by Dara on 7/12/2006 11:09:00 AM :

More Tintin

Here's the official PBS website for the Tintin program Tom posted about earlier. You can watch a trailer for the show, read filmmaker Anders Østergaard's "viewer letter," and read essays from the likes of Clowes, Gloeckner, and Abel.

As Tom mentioned, for the Columbus guys, the show airs on WOSU 34 on Sunday, July 16, 4:00am and Sunday, July 23, 11:30pm. For your own local air date, follow the link at the site above.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Posted by Tom on 7/11/2006 11:46:00 PM :

Drawn & Quarterly finally got around to redesigning their website. While it was pretty at first, the site's navigation left something to be desired. They even have gotten onto the blog bandwagon.

Posted by Dara on 7/11/2006 11:22:00 PM :

Holy Unexpected Surprises, Batman!

I have got some major news to share with you guys!!! As soon as I've got all the details, there will be another post here. Stay tuned...

Monday, July 10, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/10/2006 01:05:00 PM :

The Amazing Screw-on Head cartoon

Comics Continuum has screen shots of the animated show based on Mike Mignola's Amazing Screw-On Head comic. The pilot will debut on the Sci-Fi Channel on Thursday, July 27, but will actually be shown online on SCI FI Pulse, starting on Thursday, July 13.
"Amazing Screw-On Head is an outrageous, animated, sci-fi original half hour comedy featuring the voice talents of Paul Giamatti (Sideways), David Hyde Pierce (Frasier) and Molly Shannon (Saturday Night Live) based on the exploits of one of history's great unsung heroes. A secret agent working for the U.S. government, Screw-On Head (Giamatti) is a robot that screws his head onto a wide variety of bodies, and battles those who threaten our civilization."

The animation style looks completely Mignolaesque, which is always a good sign.

(via ComicBookResources)

Posted by Dara on 7/10/2006 08:29:00 AM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

What the-- !? Another Green Lantern page? Well, them's the breaks. Guess away at the artist. I think this one's pretty easy.

(click image to greenify)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005, 11/14/2005, 11/21/2005, 11/28/2005, 12/5/2005, 12/12/2005, 12/19/2005, 12/26/2005, 1/2/2006, 1/9/2006, 1/16/2006, 1/23/2006, 1/30/2006, 2/06/2006, 2/13/2006, 2/20/2006, 2/27/2006, 3/6/2006, 3/13/2006, 3/20/2006, 3/27/2006, 4/3/2006, 4/4/2006, 4/5/2006, 4/6/2006, 4/7/2006, 4/8/2006, 4/9/2006, 4/10/2006, 4/17/2006, 4/23/2006, 5/1/2006, 5/8/2006, 5/15/2006, 5/22/2006, 5/29/2006, 6/5/2006, 6/12/2006, 6/19/2006, 6/26/2006, 6/26/2006)

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/09/2006 12:29:00 PM :

Joe Corroney on TV

I just caught a segment on local artist Joe Corroney on ArtZine, our PBS station's locally produced program on the Columbus arts scene.
"To celebrate the opening of COSI's Star Wars exhibit, we talk with CCAD graduate and only local graphic artist approved to draw and create Star Wars characters for serial comic books and posters. Joe Corroney made a limited edition poster for COSI'’s exhibit and we get a peek at his renderings and final creation."
I know a lot of you guys scoff at Corroney calling himself a comic book artist, given how little work he's actually done in the field. Anyway, if you're interested in catching the short piece, the remaining air dates are:

Tuesday, July 11, 5:00 AM
Wednesday, July 12, 10:30 PM
Tuesday, July 18, 5:00 AM

After that, the video will be on the ArtZine website.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Posted by Tom on 7/07/2006 07:39:00 PM :

This week though, the Weekenderrrrr... Columbus Alive ran a small featurette on Keron Grant this week. Keron has never looked sassier. Does this mean he's back in town? I haven't seen him at Kinko's in a while. He did move.

Posted by Tom on 7/07/2006 07:27:00 PM :

For you Tintin fans..

PBS is showing a new documentary on Herge's Tintin. Many a comics creator is interviewed in the new doc- Dan Clowes, Chris Ware, Seth, Jason Lutes... Worth checking out. F'ed up thing is it's showing at 4am (July 16th) here (in Columbus) on Sunday. Yet another reason to get Tivo. PBS plus viewers have four chances to see it-
July 12 at 10:00pm, July 13 at 4:00am, July 16 at 4:00am and July 20 at 3:00am

Posted by Dara on 7/07/2006 10:20:00 AM :

Pardon my personal rant for a minute...

To the asshat who keyed my car last night: why?

Seriously, what was the reason? Had I done you a terrible injustice? Stole from you? Killed your dog? Insulted your family honor?

Do I even know you?

I'm not a terribly vindictive man, and in the big picture, this isn't some horrible crime. It's just money, I suppose.

Regardless, at this moment, my only wish for you is a painful syphilitic death.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Posted by Tom on 7/06/2006 08:15:00 PM :

expanding S.P.A.C.E.

I know this isn't till next year but.. S.P.A.C.E. will expand to a two day show beginning next year. The next show is the weekend of April 21st thru the 22nd. Table fees are still the lowest around. If one waits till the absolute balls-out last minute, it's only $65 for a full table. Bob will be around the usual places with registration forms (MOC, SPX & SNAP!). Or for those early birds you can contact him for a form. I'm hoping the extra day will entice some out-of-towner's to come down.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/05/2006 07:28:00 PM :

Wow, she sure gets around

Hey kids, today's corporate buzzword of the day is "affiliate program," with a side of "co-branding." Check out these screen shots of a couple of popular websites:

See anything familiar? Could it be this lovely reader of FuckedCompany.com, who is just dying to meet a single, eligible man?

Or is she a lovely reader of Disinformation.com, who is just dying to meet a single, eligible man?

Either this chick is one web-savvy nymphomaniac who just can't seem to meet any guys offline, or we've just stumbled onto some (not so) clever co-branding. If it wasn't for lonely, single guys, I'm convinced there would be no Internets to speak of.

I wonder how many other websites "fairnymph1" frequents...

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/04/2006 11:55:00 PM :

Rocket Science update

I forgot to post this last week, but the new issue of Melt magazine is out, with a new Rocket Science comic strip I do with Tim Fischer. If you're not a Columbus resident, you can always check out the entire contents online. Our strip is on page 61.

Posted by Tom on 7/04/2006 09:49:00 PM :

Craftin' Outlaws show at Skully's. Columbus, Ohio
September 23rd

Alternative crafts, handmade books, t-shirts, and other alt-crafts. Even if it isn't, sounds like the kind of show that would spark some ideas.

The application sports an odd breakdown of vendor fees. $40 vendor fee. Extras: table-$8. chair-$1. memories of selling that handstiched wallet made out of your old Smurf blanket- priceless.

Seriously though it sounds cool.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Posted by Craig on 7/03/2006 03:40:00 PM :

More pages from The Ineffables: Political Asylum

Permalink for this post by Craig || 0 comments || e-mail to a friend:

Posted by Dara on 7/03/2006 10:23:00 AM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

Wow, finally a non-Green Lantern page! Ok kids, have at it.

(click image to gridify)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005, 11/14/2005, 11/21/2005, 11/28/2005, 12/5/2005, 12/12/2005, 12/19/2005, 12/26/2005, 1/2/2006, 1/9/2006, 1/16/2006, 1/23/2006, 1/30/2006, 2/06/2006, 2/13/2006, 2/20/2006, 2/27/2006, 3/6/2006, 3/13/2006, 3/20/2006, 3/27/2006, 4/3/2006, 4/4/2006, 4/5/2006, 4/6/2006, 4/7/2006, 4/8/2006, 4/9/2006, 4/10/2006, 4/17/2006, 4/23/2006, 5/1/2006, 5/8/2006, 5/15/2006, 5/22/2006, 5/29/2006, 6/5/2006, 6/12/2006, 6/19/2006, 6/26/2006)

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Posted by Dara on 7/01/2006 10:43:00 AM :

Oh, dear god

Apparently a ton of comics creators, reviewers, and such have been getting this e-mail:
"Hello,

I am a Casting Director for Fox’s family show "Trading Spouses." We are looking for unique, colorful individuals, such as comic book collectors or illustrators/artists AND their families, to participate in our reality show.

Each family gets $50,000. Each family must have two parents in the household and children over the age of 6 (no one under 6).

If this is an experience you might be interested in or know a family that would be great for our show, please contact me ASAP – our casting will be ending soon.

Sincerely,

Bo Palinic
Casting Director
Tel: [deleted, I'm not gonna support this show in any way]"
First of all, did you catch that first line? "Family show." Right. If you're sitting your kids down to watch this piece of excrement with you, you deserve to have child services called on your ass.

So, yeah. There's no chance this episode will portray comic book fans as socially inept, inbred juveniles with fetishistic fantasies. And since the whole premise of the show is to find the most deranged, extreme polar opposites, I wonder what kind of family they'll pick to "swap" with the comic book nerdanistas? Perhaps a Mensa couple and their genius kids who look down on comics as stupid entertainment for illeterate kids. Or maybe they'll go for the religious angle and find a crazy jesus freak mom who will throw a fit over the impure, pornographic pictures corrupting the kids.

Oh, how I hate reality shows, and in particular anything from Fox.

Posted by Dara on 7/01/2006 10:24:00 AM :

Best and worst superhero movies

According to MSN, here's a list of the 10 best superhero movies (and the 5 worst ones.)

Good to see The Rocketeer acknowledged, I found that movie to be very enjoyable. But personally, I'd switch Darkman and The Hulk between their respective categories. But hey, that's just me.