Friday, December 30, 2005

Posted by Tom on 12/30/2005 04:51:00 PM :

Coffin vs. Sleeper

So I read the Coffin and Deep Sleeper back to back. Unintentionally, it just happened that way. In doing so I found huge similarities in the plot line. With slight variences, they're the same story. Both protagonists (in Coffin & Sleeper) families are threatened in some way, both fall into some secret world where they have to save the day. Both protagonists are fathers that are too sucked into their own world to see they're ignoring their families. Both stories carry a mild religious overtone. The art in both is killer. The techno-babble in the Coffin is grading while the dialogue in Deep Sleeper didn't start hitting the mark till almost two issues in. After reading both I'd say Deep Sleeper was the stronger work. Possibly a subconscious second-go at the first work. Heh, I said subconscious. Here's hoping the next time these two collaborate it's not so formulatic. There were some really strong moments and Huddleson's line get's better as the years go on.

Posted by Dara on 12/30/2005 02:05:00 PM :

Lobo: The Animated Series

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Somebody must have been smoking crack. Ah well. Via Comic Book Resources, here's a look at artist Steven E. Gordon's character designs for a Lobo cartoon pitch.

Posted by Dara on 12/30/2005 11:13:00 AM :

Willie sez:

(from the T-shirt store Busted Tees)

Posted by Dara on 12/30/2005 09:33:00 AM :

A tale of a new POD venture

So when Comixpress burst on the scene, offering indy comics publishers a cheap Print On Demand option, their business skyrocketed so much they had to go on hiatus and stop accepting new jobs until they could print all the ones they had.

Well, there will soon be a new player in the comic book POD filed: Ka-Blam. And if you've ever wanted to know the trials and tribulations of setting up a new business venture, drop by the above link and read their diary of one disaster after another.

By the way, Ka-Blam is brought to you by the fine folks who run 01comics.com, another purveyor of free, professional caliber webcomics. Home to former print titles such as Dreamwalker, and new stuff by the likes of artist Mitch Byrd. Most are action/adventure type strips, but there are other genres as well. Worth a look.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/28/2005 03:17:00 PM :

Least Essential Albums of 2005

It's that time of year again. Time for everyone and their brother to present "best of" and "worst of" lists of 2005. And why should The Onion buck the trend? So here it is, folks, The Onion's A.V. Club presents The Least Essential Albums of 2005. My favorites include the category "Least Essential 2Pacsploitation: The Rose Vol. 2: Music Inspired By Tupac's Poetry" and this little gem:
"Least Essential Best-of Album: Hilary Duff, Most Wanted

The CD booklet to this greatest-hits-style collection features a page dedicated to the "Hilary Duff Catalog," which lines up five albums. That's enough for a hits collection, surely. But take a closer look: Those five include Duff's two proper albums (Metamorphosis and Hilary Duff) next to A Cinderella Story's soundtrack (represented on Most Wanted by two tracks), Santa Claus Lane (not represented) and something called Hilary Duff: Artist Karaoke Series (also not represented). (Insert your own joke about that last one being Duff's best effort.) Most Wanted does contain some new tracks, as well as a handful of 2005 remixes. Because those tracks from 2004 badly needed to be brought up to date."

Posted by Tony on 12/28/2005 12:03:00 PM :

Shorts

Dara’s post on an iTunes Body Bags podcast jogged my memory: Amazon is now offering pamphlets for download.

According to this article in Slate.com, Amazon.com is offering short pamphlets for 49 cents a pop. They’re available in HTML, pdf or plain-text e-mail. See the list of best-sellers here.

So between iTunes and Amazon, I’m gradually losing my skepticism of electronic comics. Call me a tool of the man, but I feel better about a product when it’s being offered by a big company. The ability to reach larger amounts of people -- with readily accessible formats and trusted payment mechanisms -- is valuable to me.

I’m still not sure about electronic comics as a replacement for printed comics, though. So far, most electronic comics are either reprints or artists working on spec. In other words, the business model for electronic comics relies on not paying the talent.

Secondly, electronic comics also cut out the comic book shop, or at least lessen its importance. I value the comic book shop as a gatekeeper and guide, helping me find good reads. A lot of the fun of belonging to the club is going to the clubhouse.

Thirdly, I’m still a sucker for the tactile feel. Even if you do print out your online comics, I doubt you can reach the production values of a printed comic. That’s doubly bad for an outfit like Panel -- unless we also include a pdf of the band that goes around the comic.

But as I say, I’m less skeptical now. We should look into electronic comics in the new year.

Posted by Dara on 12/28/2005 11:20:00 AM :

Happy B-day, Stan

Stan Lee is 83 today. Here's wishing you a happy birthday, and a good retirement. (Seriously, Stan, no more "creations" like Stripparella and stuff. Just let it go, man.)

Posted by Dara on 12/28/2005 09:46:00 AM :

Odds and Ends

Over at Newsarama, Andy Marchant does a retrospective on Marvel's Strikeforce: Morituri series, published back in '86. One of my favorite series at the time (heck, even now) with a high concept way ahead of its time (for Marvel, anyway) and a great writer - Peter B. Gillis - who disappeared from the world of comics soon thereafter.

Also over at Newsarama, saw the article on 12 Gauge Comic's foray into the world of digital comics, with a twist. They've made Jason Pearson’s Body Bags: Father’s Day #1 available for free via a podcast of sorts, which they're calling a "Comicast". It's basically a Flash animated reworking of the comic, complete with (marginal) voice acting that you can download and watch through iTunes. I'm not a fan of Person's work, but hey, free is free and going through iTunes means wide exposure to a whole new audience, so more power to them. If you have iTunes and want to go directly to the download, click here.

And finally, if you're running low on holiday cheer and cute things to ooh and aah at, try Cute Overload. You've been warned.

Monday, December 26, 2005

Posted by Tom on 12/26/2005 02:43:00 PM :

Posted by Dara on 12/26/2005 01:02:00 PM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

Another pin-up this time. Good luck.

(click images to phase through walls)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005, 11/14/2005, 11/21/2005, 11/28/2005, 12/5/2005, 12/12/2005, 12/19/2005)

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/25/2005 09:55:00 PM :

AA Weekend Covers Holiday Covers

In lieu of the usual "Awesome and Ass" cover feature, I'm just going to share some covers from random holiday specials. Enjoy! (click to enlarge)

And just to be blasphemous, a couple that are just wrong:

And finally, who could forget the classic:

(previous weeks: 12/3/2005, 12/11/2005, 12/17/2005)

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/24/2005 12:28:00 PM :

Happy Holidays!

The crew at Ferret Central is taking it easy during the holidays, so there probably won't be much blogging.

In the meantime, amuse yourselves with this cool optical illusion:

Posted by Tom on 12/24/2005 07:00:00 AM :

Scrapbooking was so 2005...

Screw that scrapbooking kit for a holiday gift, get yer wife that Comic Creator for Christmas. Yessss, a software company has now made making comics a snap. Choose from a variety of layouts. Make your bubbles. Oh joy, now my dull lifeless marriage is washed away in Comic Creator and a bottle of scotch. Get out of that monotone life and let that creative spirit soar. Hooray!!

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/22/2005 12:08:00 PM :

More fun with comic cover remixes

I thought this one was appropriate, in light of recent newsworthy events...

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/21/2005 12:40:00 PM :

Bill Willingham's work ethic

I'm always fascinated to find out how slow/fast different creators work. In seems that recently, finding an artist who can draw a book on a monthly schedule is almost the exception, rather than the rule. With that in mind, I read this portion of a Bill Willingham interview with interest:
"BW: My ongoing commitments are writing "Fables," co-writing the new "Jack of Fables," in collaboration with the remarkable Matt Sturges, and both writing and drawing "Shadowpact." In addition to that will be the odd extra miniseries of something, or special project. For example, right now I'm still in the middle of writing the new "Space Ghost" miniseries and still putting a few finishing touches on next year's "Fables" hardback Original Graphic Novel.

CBR: What is your daily schedule like? Do you feel this is the maximum you can take on? Or are you just hitting your stride?

BW: After years of inactivity on the art front, I'm still getting back in the swing of things art-wise. However, with that as a caveat, this is more or less how my schedule goes: Every day - Monday through Friday - I get up and immediately hit the drawing table to produce one page of "Shadowpact" art. Then I take a break and then spend the rest of the afternoon working on whatever script is next in line on the deadline schedule DC provides to me every month. On weekends, I'm free to goof off or catch up on something that didn't get done, or work on a novel I've foolishly agreed to do for a book publisher (not DC)."
So not only is he saying he'll be writing two monthly books, but he's also drawing a monthly book, and doing all that in just a Monday-Friday work week? No offense to Mr. Willingham, but I find it hard to believe that he could possibly keep up that schedule. Granted, he's not inking the new book, but still. A page a day of art, plus two monthly books to script, plus special issues, plus a novel? Hmmm. More power to him if he can actually do it.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/20/2005 04:38:00 PM :

2005 Year-end Google zeitgeist

Here are Google's lists of top ten most popular searches for the entirety of 2005.

So what does it say about the human race as a whole that under the News section, there were more searches on Janet Jackson than there were for Hurricane Katrina?

Posted by Dara on 12/20/2005 12:08:00 PM :

Dave Sim writes Showgirls

No, not the movie adaptation. Still, it's a pretty weird news story that I missed earlier. Apparently, woman hatin' Dave Sim is writing a limited series for Howard Shum's Gun Fu comic. Titled Gun Fu: Showgirls Are Forever, the book is described thusly:
"Gun Fu: Showgirls Are Forever #1 will be released in March 2006 and is published by Image Comics. The story is set in 1941. France has succeeded in setting the world record for the quickest surrender to Nazi Germany without putting up a fight. Nazi-collaborating French showgirls are on a secret mission to attack a neutral United States. Cheng Bo Sen is a Hong Kong cop and British secret agent. He also speaks hip-hop which no one seems to notice."
Um, yeah.

Honestly, I don't know what to make of this. I'm not a big Sim fan, but it still seems like an odd choice.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Posted by Tom on 12/19/2005 06:10:00 PM :

2006 Day Prize Nominees announced..

This year Bob decided to break down nominees into subcatagories- Digest, Best Short Story, Mini-Comics, Comics, Square Comics(?) & Trade Paperbacks. But only one will win the top prize. Among the noms- Sorrel which I hope wins. Probably the pick of the litter and is a great snapshot of a creator coming into his own. Word on the street is Top Shelf might be interested in Justin's stuff. Icecreamlandia was also great but lacks that bitter diatribe against women. (this is Sim after all) Panel:Myth didn't get nominated but did get put in a submissions listing at the bottom. Completely missed it the first time(Sorry Chad) but Point Pleasant's up for the award as well (fellow Panel contributors Steve Black & Dan Barlow). I don't know if Pussy Galore should be on there but it's nice to have been nominated.

Posted by Dara on 12/19/2005 04:37:00 PM :

Richard Case whereabouts

So back when I started reading Grant Morisson's Doom Patrol, I quickly fell in love with the artwork of Richard Case. Over the years, I acquired an original page of his art (from a Shade: The Changing Man issue) and a sketch of Robotman in my con sketchbook. But then it seemed that he disappeared from the comics field altogether. I'd often wondered what happened to him, and assumed that he had moved on to greener pastures (movies, video games, or commercial art.) Well, perusing Mike Wieringo's blog today, I found the answer:
"When I first moved to North Carolina to join what became ARTAMUS STUDIOS, along with such talented folks as Richard Case, Jeff Parker, Chuck Wojtkiewicz, John Lowe and several others...Eventually everyone moved on from the studio. Several of our number went out west. Some left the comics industry altogether...Until, at the end, when it was just Rich Case and myself... and Rich decided that moving to the video game industry was more stable for him and his family than freelancing in comics (and who can blame him.... he's right)."
Sadly, another great comics artist lost to a different industry. But more power to Richard. I've said it many times before, I really don't understand why any artist would want to try and make a living in the comics field.

Posted by Dara on 12/19/2005 01:26:00 PM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

Yeah, I know, it's not exactly morning. Call it a special edition Monday Afternoon edition of Guess the Artist, if it helps you sleep better at night.

We're featuring a pin-up again, and hopefully an easy one. Guess away.

(click images to scale like a spider)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005, 11/14/2005, 11/21/2005, 11/28/2005, 12/5/2005, 12/12/2005)

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Posted by Tom on 12/18/2005 12:22:00 PM :

A couple of fast ones for y'all..

I love year-end lists. Love them as sometimes the good stuff passes me by. Here's a good one to expand your collection. I've found I own half the Rock listing already. Pitchfork has some good list(s) where they go around and ask different pros,critics, and musicians their's. Best and Worst of 2005. My fav is the writer's assessment of 'My Humps'.

Another ballsy year for the Bush in two fold. I was shocked he actually came out and basically stated (paraphrasing here)'Yah, so I knew we based the invasion on bad intel. They were still asking for it anyway.' Also to come out is that he authorized many a wire tap. So when is this ass-hat getting impeached?? Geesh. Between all the f'ed up policy and losing an entire American City (so long Mardi Gra) coupled the scary environment news, I've gotta take a break from commondreams. It's just too depressing.

Posted by Tom on 12/18/2005 10:43:00 AM :

It's News to Jumbo: part II

Going home for 'Will'-mas I was handed a copy of the Kenton Times (sorry, they're archives are spotty). An article was folded so's I could read about Monty's balls. Monty will paint your balls for money. Oh yes, gently blowing on them with an airbrush then oiling them up with a brush. Prepping them till finally the piece is released... to the new owner. If you're nice he might show you his balls, they're incased behind glass y'know...

Seriously though I grew up near Monty. He was that one art student that threw my art teacher a bone. A ray of hope in a sea of banal impetuous redneck brats. He was my first exposure to illustration/comics industry as he was a production/editor for Dark Horse (for ten years 1988-98). He would do some fill in's and ghosting badly drawn panels here and there. He once brought some Matt Wagner Grendel pages to my class. He quit Dark Horse in 1998 to come back to Jumbo. He launched his (unfortunately titled) ArtBall buisness to an unsuspecting Collecter's market in '98. I laughed at the premise for a good hour but seriously he's got to be living like a king out there. The Artball's go from $500 to $2500 a pop. He does them steady- 4 to 5 pieces a week. With a eye for intricate detail that rivals Chris Ware.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/17/2005 03:28:00 PM :

AA Weekend Covers

It's simple. Every weekend, I treat you to two covers, one that's simply Awesome, and one that purely sucks Ass.

AWESOME

(click to enlarge)
Books of Magic #54 (November 1998) by William Michael Kaluta.

Kaluta is an amazing illustrator, and has produced hundreds of comic and novel covers. I had a hard time picking out a sample cover from the run he did on Books of Magic, but I think what made this one stick out is that it's a fairly unusual composition for him. His covers tend to be wall-to-wall illustrations, featuring dozens of story elements and images arranged in a symmetric pattern. However, I love the starkness of the background on this one, focusing all your attention on the 3 figures and their unusual movement. Love it.

ASS

(click to enlarge)
Ultimate Spider-man #29 (February 2003) by Mark Bagley.

You know, it's not that I dislike Bagley's art. I think he's a very solid storyteller, and I'm very impressed with his speed and work ethic. I happen to think his style is rather, well, plain, but that's a matter of taste on my part. However, the covers he does for the Ultimate Spider-man book are just...what's the word...booooooooooooring and ugly. Seriously, I could have picked from a dozen other covers with almost the same exact generic Spider-man pose. No action, no story, no backgrounds, no sense of design. And despite the good anatomy he displays in his interior work, the covers are just bizarre and ugly. And the coup de grace, that hideous computer coloring that looks like a bad 80s airbrush t-shirt you'd get at the fair. No thanks.

(previous weeks: 12/3/2005, 12/11/2005)

Friday, December 16, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/16/2005 10:38:00 AM :

2006 Eisner Awards Judges

Next year's Eisner Awards judges have been named.

"Christopher Allen, managing editor for ComicBookGalaxy.com. He has written for The Comics Journal, MoviePoopShoot.com, NinthArt.com, and other websites...

John Gallagher, cartoonist, self-publisher, and award-winning designer. Under the Sky-Dog Press banner, John has written and illustrated his online and printed graphic novel series Buzzboy since 1998...

Nisha Gopalan, comics editor at Entertainment Weekly...

Robert Randle, purchasing brand manager for Diamond Comic Distributors...

Robert Scott, owner/operator of Comickaze Comics Books and More in San Diego."
Looks like another good cross section of comics book pros and insiders.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Posted by Tony on 12/15/2005 06:04:00 PM :

Kiss from a rose

Here's another lonely heart from the Other Paper classifieds. I'm not sure if she's looking for one of us or not:

POISON IVY-ESQUE SF, 26 looking for Batman, SM 25-35 to paint Gotham green. D/D and Dork free a must!

She references Batman, but she doesn't want a dork? Is she looking instead for a geek or a nerd? Is Dork a typo? Does she literally want Batman? And does "D/D" stand for "drug/disease" as it usually does, or is she talking about Dungeons and Dragons?

Posted by Dara on 12/15/2005 04:20:00 PM :

Wholly Craft: consignment store shout out

This one's mainly for my Columbus peeps. There's a new "urban crafts" consignment store in Clintonville that deserves your patronage, especially if you're looking for last minute unique gifts. Wholly Craft is located on 3171 N. High St. and accepts new items for consigment from local artists/craftsmen. In addition to weird and funky hand-made cards, books, clothing, etc., they also carry the full line of Ferret Press and PANEL comics and zines! In fact, they're already sold a few issues, including one of my BigCityBlues CDs.

There's also an article in the SNP this week about the store and owner Olivera Bratich (although they misspelled her name.) Anyway, if you're in the neighborhood, stop by and check out her store. Remember folks, supporting fellow artists and creators can only lead to good karma.

Posted by Dara on 12/15/2005 11:47:00 AM :

Truth in comics, part 4

(btw, if you hadn't noticed alrteady, all images in this series were found at one time or another on SomethingAwful.com, I certainly don't mean to imply any sort of ownership on my part)

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/14/2005 11:48:00 AM :

More on webcomics

(Wow, the webcomics quotient of this blog has shot up significantly in the last couple of months...)

So speaking of digital comics, a couple quick links:

On the self-serving side, I wanted to remind you that the new storyline in my Lifelike comic has reached its mid-point this week. It's called "Art/Life" and explores a topic familiar to most of you. (And thanks again to Matt and Ione for the great save when it came to naming one of the lead characters.) Oh, and while you're there, feel free to click on a couple of the ads on the site. That's how poppa gets paid.

Also, looks like marvel is once again making several of their recent issues available for free on the web, in their entirety. You can read Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1, Captain America #1, She-Hulk #1 (volume 1), and an episode for Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius on Marvel's "Digital Comics" site.

The Marvel stuff, unfortunately, could still use a lot of work in the file preparation and quality. The images are very pixelated, which just means someone was too lazy or inept to format the files properly. Hopefully they'll work the kinks out of their process soon.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Posted by Tom on 12/13/2005 07:51:00 PM :

Very un-comic oriented:
I've recently discovered that my brother has a blog.. and it's kinda lame. Love the guy but damn. 'Boy Band' dreams?? I hope he was kidding. In case you're curious check it out.

More on webcomics: I found this roundtable discussion on webcomics (thanks comicsreporter). It's a great overview of the 'industry' which sprung up from hobbists into a potential market for cartoonists. I'm starting to see their potential as a way to get the work out there (and maybe make some $$$ doing it) Also a good draw for people to keep checking back to you site.

Posted by Dara on 12/13/2005 05:04:00 PM :

Skydiver survives face-fall into asphalt parking lot

Not comics related, but I thought it was interesting enough to share. So this 21 year old woman, Shayna Richardson, was making her first solo skydiving jump when her chute failed. She deployed her reserve chute, but it didn't open all the way.

She hit the ground face first going about 50 MPH.

She didn't know it at the time, but she was also pregnant.

She and the baby both survived.
"She broke her pelvis in two places, broke her leg, lost six teeth and now has 15 steel plates...Four surgeries and two months later, Richardson said she and the fetus are doing fine."
Man, talk about cheating death!

Posted by Dara on 12/13/2005 09:08:00 AM :

Truth in comics, part 3

Posted by Dara on 12/13/2005 07:30:00 AM :

Jack Chick teaches you about Dracula

Submitted for your reading enjoyment, Eric Faustus' Love That Dracula, a parody of those ubiquitous Jack Chick bible tracts. Good stuff.

(thanks Kevin)

Posted by Dara on 12/13/2005 05:27:00 AM :

A non-comics public service message from your friends at Ferret central

Do you hate wading through 15 minutes of customer service voicemail menus before talking to an actual human being? Well then, Paul English's cheat sheet for "steps to find a human" is for you. Enjoy.

Posted by Dara on 12/13/2005 05:10:00 AM :

Best Webcomics of 2005

The Webcomics Examiner has come out with their list of The Best Webcomics of 2005. As with any list of this type, your mileage will vary. I'm surprised at how many of the strips I've actually read, considering how much is out there and that I'm still relatively a newcomer to webcomics. Some random notes:
  • Much to Tom's chagrin, James Kochalka's American Elf made the list :-)
  • On the other hand, Tom will be pleased to see Hope Larson's Salamander Dream made it too. Raina Telgemeier also gets a nod for Smile.
  • Kazu Kibuishi's Copper, Kean Soo's Jellaby, and Nicholas Gurewitch's The Perry Bible Fellowship are all favorites of mine and highly recommended.
  • I've read A Softer World, Achewood, Dinosaur Comics at various times in the past, and for the life of me I can't understand the appeal of them. I mean, I like my weird and twisted humor as much as the next guy, but these strips just aren't that funny/clever to me. At least not as much as the "genius" status that their hardcore fans attribute to them. Oh well, different strokes and all that, I suppose.
Next year, Lifelike makes a run for the title! Speaking of which, have you checked out the new storyline "Art/Life" yet?

Monday, December 12, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/12/2005 03:08:00 PM :

Dave doles out the Comic Book Fashion Disasters

Over at my favorite comics blog, Dave's Longbox, Dave researches the strange and hideous civilian clothes of your favorite superheroes. As always, hilarity ensues.
"I know she's an immigrant and all, but somebody ought to take Diana aside and tell her she's looking a little...what's the word? Easy? That look might fly on Themyscira, but in the States she's going to stand out. You know, never mind - during this era of Wonder Woman she was living in Boston; she'll fit right in. Oh, snap! Take that, Boston!"

Posted by Dara on 12/12/2005 12:05:00 PM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

You know the drill: famous artist now, but not so famous when this page was done. As always, use the comments section to make your guess.

(click images to dwell in shadows)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005, 11/14/2005, 11/21/2005, 11/28/2005, 12/5/2005)

Posted by Tony on 12/12/2005 11:32:00 AM :

Four-color action

Whenever I'm in the mood for some good, solid four-color superhero action, I walk into my local comix emporium and pick up a Justice Society of America tpb.

Mostly written by Geoff Johns, JSA features a group of people who really are heroes. They usually do the right thing, even when it's tough. They generally don't whine about it. Characters who break the rules aren't considered cool, but they face real consequences. For example, Atom Smasher was ostracized from the group for killing Extant -- even after Extant killed Atom Smasher's mother.

Johns also comes up with interesting ways to use people's powers. In one issue, the villain Per Degaton uses his time-walking power to see the JSA's deaths. He doesn't cause the deaths himself, just goes to have a look. Not only was it creepy, I'd never seen it done before.

The JSA pretty much always faces mad geniuses trying to take over the world. It might get monotonous, but it's done in a different way every time. And with heroes this powerful, they really shouldn't get out of bed unless it's an extinction-level event.

Your enjoyment of this series will depend on how much you like these three things:

1) Superhero soap opera: When it's done really, really well, superhero soap opera is OK. Done not so well, it's terrible. We've seen at least three different love triangles, and I know more than I need to know about Alan Scott's shortcomings as a parent.

2) Resurrections: Geoff Johns can't stand to leave a superhero dead. So far we've seen the rebirth of Sand, Scarab, Hawkman, Fury and the Golden Age Hourman.

3) 1980s DC continuity: Do you miss Infinity Inc.? Like, a lot? Then you'll love another chance to catch up with Nuklon, Fury, Brainwave Jr. and Hector, the cousin of the 1980s Wildcat.

Posted by Dara on 12/12/2005 08:20:00 AM :

My ebay sale

In case anyone is interested, I'm thinning out my comics collection and have thrown some stuff for sale on ebay. Mostly superhero books, though I'll be adding some indy books over the next week or so as well.

Of interest might be the early Frank Miller art on a Roger Stern written Captain America story (signed by Stern,) or the Avengers run from #57-71 (which includes the infamous oral sex issue that ticked off a bunch of people.) Also, this little number:

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/11/2005 02:29:00 PM :

AA Weekend Covers

Welcome to the second episode of our new weekly feature here at Ferret central: AA Weekend Covers. That's right, two covers for you...one's Awesome, one sucks Ass.

AWESOME

(click to enlarge)
Marvel Fanfare #35 (November 1987) by Charles Vess.

Vess is a master draftsman. This is a cover from a 4-part Warriors Three story that ran in Marvel Fanfare. Aside from the action, I love how he's staged the characters, especially with the reverse S shape of the dragon's body suggesting movement. And those colors are beautiful

ASS

(click to enlarge)
Marvel Comics Presents #152 (April 1994) by Tom Grindberg.

Hey Tom, Mike Mignola called, he'd like his style back. Man, what a rip-off. I don't remember much about Grindberg's art other than how it seemed to constantly change to meet the whim's of what the market considered "hot" at the time. Look at that hideously disproportioned head on Wolverine, and the ugly combination of Mignola-esque shadows with Liefeld-style cross-hatching. Ugh.

(previous weeks: 12/3/2005)

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Posted by Tom on 12/10/2005 12:10:00 PM :

So I read Fear Agent..

Usually the Image logo sends me running but I took a chance. The art was really appealing in that bombastic mainstream kinda way. Moore's cover really drew me in. The story I felt was a little flat. I was hoping for that cheesecake fun factory but it came off stiff. Also sitting in my stack unread is Ferro City. Style looks similar to Rocketo with that airy Scott Morse vibe.

Posted by Tom on 12/10/2005 12:03:00 PM :

Rah-Panel!

Panel got another swell review from the Columbus Alive. Caleb really dug Craig's strip. In case the link doesn't work its up in the 'Arts' section under Comics. Also reviewed is Zack's The Secret Voice. Which I also recommend as a stocking stuffer for the Art brute lover.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/09/2005 07:02:00 PM :

Aquaman? Really?

So Newsarama has an interview with Kurt Busiek, who along with artist Jackson "Butch" Guice, will be revamping the Aquaman title after the "One Year Later" gimmick. Retitled Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis, the book will feature a new guy in the role of everyone's favorite superhero to mock.
"The writer explained this new take on Aquaman will be more of a high-fantasy adventure book 'with swords, wizards, exotic locales, wars, monsters, ancient gods and more, all taking advantage of that undersea setting that makes the seascape practically an alien world, full of mystery and wonder,' Busiek said."
And you know what? I find myself becoming very interested in checking this out. Which is weird, because I've never been much of an Aquaman fan. I think it's the shift towards a fantasy/mystical adventure that appeals to me. That, and the fact that Busiek seems very keen on really exploring the wonderful "seascape" setting, which oddly enough seemed to take a back seat to conventional superhero slugfests in more recent Aquaman stories.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that they got Jackson Guice for the art. I've liked his work since the days of the 90s Doctor Strange book, where he got into a bit of trouble for swiping an Amy Grant album cover for one of the book's covers.

So yeah, maybe I'll check the book out when it comes out next year...

Posted by Tony on 12/09/2005 03:13:00 PM :

Come to the Thurber House book sale!

The Thurber House will host its annual Book Feast, a one-day sale of deeply discounted books, from 5-7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 12. Come on down after work and finish (or start) your holiday shopping!

These are brand-new books at deeply-discounted prices. These are not crappy old books, and they’re in all genres and styles. Last year I got a couple of children’s books for my nephew, plus another book for my dad. Imagine a trip to the Book Loft, but for a good cause.

The Book Feast takes place at the Thurber Center, a building next door to the Thurber House, 77 Jefferson Avenue.

Jefferson Avenue runs between Long Street and East Broad Street in downtown Columbus, right before you get to I-71. Visit http://www.thurberhouse.org or e-mail me at dtony76@hotmail.com for more info. Pass this on to everybody.

Posted by Dara on 12/09/2005 07:56:00 AM :

Coca-Cola what?

"Coca-Cola Blak is a new cola-coffee beverage that will debut next month in France. Also during the presentation, Coke marketing chief Mary Minnick said Coke was introducing higher- margin extensions in the fast-growing water category and that it plans to launch "Tab" energy drink targeting women."
Tab, eh? So it's official, the 80s are back for good.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/08/2005 12:19:00 PM :

Get boned this holiday season

Sorry, sorry, I just can't help but make with the crude jokes every time I want to post about one of Columbus' greatest art exports, Bone. Anyway, Jeff Smith's epic comic series gets the full on video game treatment, and you could win free access to the online game, courtesy of Newsarama:
"Telltale Games – makers of the online Bone: Out from Boneville adventure – want to give five lucky Newsarama readers a free downloadable copy of the game. To be eligible, all you have to do is send an email to: contest@telltalegames.com with the subject line "Bone for the Holidays" between now and Wednesday, December 21st. The five winners will then be selected at random and provided with a free code to unlock the game."

You can also get a 15% discount on all Telltale games, see the Newsarama link for details. Good luck!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Posted by Tom on 12/07/2005 09:49:00 PM :

SPX '05 Anthology: A book report

Normally I don't say much about other books that come out. But the latest SPX anthology compels me otherwise. Ralph's bar was 'however long it takes to do good comics'. Maybe they could of took a little longer? Or clean the resin outta yer pipe next time. I do take some small solace that it's going to a good cause- the CBLDF. I'd say there were only a handfull of decent strips in the whole lot. Ralph always does a nice job. I dug Rugg's piece, Morse's, Crane's and a couple of newbies I recognized from Ergot. But then it goes downhill from there. Alot of the strips go nowhere on top of being poorly executed. Some sport a brute charm. The kind you'd find in a better offering like Kramer's Ergot. Two strips were simply unreadable due to the technique. One had all the excitement of belly button lint rendered like a 5 year old's crayon drawing. Support the CBLDF- they do have some really great offerings.

Posted by Dara on 12/07/2005 04:37:00 PM :

Truth in comics, part 2

"Except for a very small handful, which by no means includes all the talented people out there, it's probably harder to make a living in comics today than at any point in the last 25 years." -- Steven Grant
From this week's column. Always a great read.

Posted by Dara on 12/07/2005 01:35:00 PM :

Truth in comics

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/06/2005 10:50:00 PM :

Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed!

So that's the name of a supposed children's book that you can buy on Amazon. From the book description:
"This full-color illustrated book is a fun way for parents to teach young children the valuable lessons of conservatism. Written in simple text, readers can follow along with Tommy and Lou as they open a lemonade stand to earn money for a swing set. But when liberals start demanding that Tommy and Lou pay half their money in taxes, take down their picture of Jesus, and serve broccoli with every glass of lemonade, the young brothers experience the downside to living in Liberaland."
So here's the thing, I can't tell if this is just supposed to be satire, or just another way to exploit the far right for a quick buck? Either way, I'm sure they'll get a ton of publicity and sell a million copies. God bless capitalism.

Posted by Dara on 12/06/2005 01:01:00 PM :

Scholastic milk carton ads

So this is pretty clever: Scholastic is promoting their new graphic novel line through ads on milk cartons. Here's a PDF of the ones for Jeff Smith's Bone. (Man I feel dirty just typing that...)

(via Howling Curmudgeons)

Monday, December 05, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/05/2005 11:09:00 PM :

Internet as art: WebCollage

I was checking my referrer logs on the main Ferret Press site and noticed several hits from a page called WebCollage. So I went and checked it out. Looks like an interesting bit of cyber art:
"WebCollage is a program that creates collages out of random images found on the Web. More images are being added to the collage about once a minute, so this page will reload itself periodically. Clicking on one of the images in the collage will take you to the page on which it was found.

It finds the images by feeding random words into various search engines, and pulling images (or sections of images) out of the pages returned."
Be aware, though, since it's random images from the web, there's a good chance you'll see some, um, adult themed ones in the mix. You know, if you're offended by that sort of stuff.

Posted by Dara on 12/05/2005 03:03:00 PM :

I hate Christmas time...

A very short rant essay, by Dara Naraghi, non-Christian.

So I just walked over to the post office to mail a couple of packages of comics, and this dude gets there just before me with a box of like 20-30 packages he needs to ship. So I decide to use the automated postal kiosk instead of waiting in line behind Mr. Santa Clause of Suburbia. But I come to find out the kiosk doesn't dispense "media mail" rates, so now I've got to go stand in line. Except by now, the line has grown to like 15 people (at 2:30? Shouldn't these people be at work? Oh, I forgot, they're mostly stay at home Dublin moms mailing bulls*** holiday packages of bulls***, useless gifts to their friends,) and one of the registers is having an error processing a credit card, and that dude with the 8 million packages is still taking up the other register's time and the line ain't moving at all.

So I gave up and trekked back to the office.

I hate this time of year. You can't get your regular, every day s*** done because of all the a**holes out there doing their Christmas "errands". And that's not even what this holiday is about. It's about reading your bible and being happy that jesus walked on water or something. Not mailing 400 boxes of eggnog flavored pizza sauce to your long lost cousins, second removed.

Or maybe it's supposed to be about peace and love and goodwill towards your fellow man. I don't know. I was too pissed off on the cold walk back to the office to really think about it.

Posted by Dara on 12/05/2005 10:41:00 AM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

After last week's difficult page, I figured we'd go with what will (hopefully) be an easy one. Also, change of pace this time around: a pin-up, instead of a sequential page. As always, use the comments section to make your guess.

(By the way, if you haven't seen it already, check out the new weekly feature on the blog: AA Weekend Covers)

(click images to make fit for a king)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005, 11/14/2005, 11/21/2005, 11/28/2005)

Posted by Dara on 12/05/2005 09:13:00 AM :

PvP: one for Matt

My regular webcomic fix this morning came with an added bonus. A sweet sound effect!

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/04/2005 03:28:00 PM :

Free comics for your PSP

Komikwerks is offering a new option for reading digital comics:

I'm pretty excited about the possibilities. Stuff like this can help comics reach an audience outside of the core comic book store crowd. By the way, Lifelike will be available as part of this deal.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Posted by T.McClurg on 12/03/2005 04:26:00 PM :

Panel banner...

Hey kids...many moons ago Steve Black drew up a banner for Panel's yet to happen new website. I tossed some color on it and here's the result. Just thought I'd post it for the sake of posting. Enjoy....

Permalink for this post by T.McClurg || 0 comments || e-mail to a friend:

Posted by Dara on 12/03/2005 03:01:00 PM :

Your non-comics related rant of the week

So I just got my new debit card in the mail, and the accompanying letter makes a big deal about the new feature added to my card: PayPass. Get this:
"Tapping away, getting on with your day: priceless. No swiping cards. It's as simple as a tap. With MasterCard PayPass, you don't have to hand your card to cashiers, wait to get it back, or swipe it yourself. Simply tap it on the PayPass reader at the register and off you go."
Oh, thank god almighty! My prayers have been answered! No longer will I have to endure the sheer agony of handing my card to the cashier! Gone are the days of crippling emotional pain associated with waiting 15 seconds to get my card back!! And best of all, I have been relieved of the intense physical torture inflicted upon my ravaged body each time I had to swipe the card myself!!!

Thank you, miracle workers at MasterCard. Thank you for easing the burden of my painful existence with the holy light of your technological breakthrough.

F***ing asshats.

Posted by Dara on 12/03/2005 10:23:00 AM :

AA Weekend Covers

Welcome to a new weekly feature here at Ferret central: AA Weekend Covers. What does the double-ay stand for, you would ask? Entertainment, I'd answer you. But more specifically: Awesome and Ass.

That's right, every Saturday (or Sunday, I'm not much for exact deadlines on this one) I'll be posting two comic book covers for your consideration. One will be, as the kids used to say, Awesome. The other will be a piece of Ass. Each will entertain you in completely different ways. So let's get started:

AWESOME

(click to enlarge)
Moon Knight #24 (October 1982) by Bill Sienkiewicz.

Ah, it makes my eyes happy to gaze upon the work of Bill "The Thrill" Sienkiewicz. Especially during this era, where he was shedding his Neal Adams cloning and really developing his own style. And that bright red background providing a contrast to Moon Knight's snowy white costume, man, talk about catching your eye on the shelf. Gorgeous stuff.

ASS

(click to enlarge)
Marvel Fanfare vol. 2, #2 (October 1996) by Pop Mahn.

Wow, where do I start with this piece of excrement? The muddled and busy composition? The bizarre and ugly anatomy? That cheap gradient background? The vomit inducing coloring? Even that horrendous logo...my god, who designed that? A highly caffeinated 8 year old with a copy of My L'il Photoshop? The 90s were truly dark days at Marvel. And look, the cover price is only 99 cents!!!Yeah, right. You couldn't pay me the 99 cents to pick up this piece of ass.

Friday, December 02, 2005

Posted by Dara on 12/02/2005 05:28:00 PM :

Moon Knight vs. Andy Bennett

In what's fast becoming another Ferret Press/PANEL blog tradition, I'm posting some Moon Knight news just to get a good rant out of Andy! (Of course, you all know that I do it out of love, right?) From Joe Quesada's masturbatory backscratching column at Newsrama:
"Moon Knight is I believe scheduled for April. This series will make him one of the prominent heroes in the Marvel Universe by the time it’s done. He’ll certainly be as important as lets say Daredevil if not more so because of what he can do...We’re so high on this book that we’ve decided to launch it as a monthly rather than a mini series, we’re that confident in it...this Moon Knight is kind of the character you wish Batman can be in many ways...Totally hardcore. No one is going to want to #$%# with Moon Knight. Daredevil is Hello Kitty compared to this Moon Knight."
I wish Joe would stop it with his subdued literary tone and inject a bit of hyperbole in his promos.

And now, the floor recognizes Andy Bennett...