Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Posted by Tom on 11/30/2005 10:51:00 PM :

Let the freakshow begin!

My pics from the Mid-Ohio
are almost up. A couple of days and they'll all be up. In the meantime here's mini-vader.

Posted by Dara on 11/30/2005 11:05:00 AM :

Marvel Character Appearances

Q: What's worse than sending thousands of soldiers to Iraq to get wounded or killed?

A: Sending some jackass dressed in a cheap spandex Captain America costume to tell them they're doing a great job.

(watch this promotional video and you'll see the scene I'm talking about)

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Posted by Tom on 11/29/2005 09:43:00 PM :

Happy Holidays from the OC.C!

I'm kicking off the Holidays with an ebay auction to help support my holiday spending (or lack there of). Don't make the children cry, commission me to do a sketch today. Heh-heh yah. *Cut-off's on the 10th of December.

*should I be fortunate enough to get booked up I might cut it off sooner. Doubtfull though.

Posted by Dara on 11/29/2005 09:11:00 PM :

Rants, Raves, and Rumors: a Mid-Ohio-Con 2005 Report

Well, another con has come and gone. But before I delve a bit into the show, here are some pictures from the traditional free Friday night pre-con party at The Laughing Ogre. The Great Ogre Gathering allows comic fans and pros alike to mingle, chat, and have a fun time while checking out all the cool books at the Ogre. Oh, and did I mention the free food and beverages?

The Laughing Ogre, our host for the evening.

Gib Bickel, co-owner and all around great guy.

Free Grub.

Free Booze.

Crowded in the front...

Crowded in the back...

All that original art makes me envious.

Professional writer Paul D. Storrie, sans beer.

Mini-comix king Matt Feazell, with beer.

Fellow PANEL member Andy Bennett, posing in front of Kirby goodness.

Fellow PANEL member Matt Kish, bringing the funk to comix.

Poop House Reilly, bringing the alt-country live music goodness.

So on to the show itself. I think the best way to sum up my feelings towards MOC is that I have a love/hate relationship with this particular con.

I love it because it's the first comic book convention I ever went to as a kid, and nostalgia goes a long way with me. Then there's the fact that the show is a mere 15 minutes from my house, so it's easy to attend. I get to catch up with a bunch of friends each year, and the show is just the right size (not huge like San Diego, not tiny like most local shows.) You can always find great deals in the bargain bins, and there are always several creators I look forward to meeting.

On the other hand, I hate it because it attracts (and caters to) such a mainstream crowd. On Saturday the halls are packed with the proverbial fanboys who mainly care about Marvel and DC superheroes. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but man trying to get the word out about your small press or indy books is a tough sell. Plus each year the emphasis shifts more and more to the "media guests", i.e. washed up, has-been actors like Margo Kidder and Lou Ferrigno. I certainly understand the economics of the situation; the recognizable media guests are necessary to draw a larger pool of people to the show. But man, that s*** gets old real fast.

So anyway, despite being crammed two-to-a-table in artist alley, I was actually pretty psyched about it. This was the first year I was invited to the show as a professional guest. Despite an overwhelming list of cancelled appearances (Adam Hughes, Terry Austin, David Mack, Jim O'’Barr, Mick Foley, MC Chris, and several other big name guests were all no shows) Saturday saw a steady stream of people at the show. Traffic at the table I shared with Stuart Sayger was good, with enough sales to make the day a success. I promoted my webcomic (Lifelike) with free postcards, and the 6th volume of our PANEL anthology (PANEL: Music) was received with lots of positive comments. People really dug the packaging: inserting the book in a 7" vinyl record sleeve, with a hand written price label.

Sunday, on the other hand, was incredibly slow. In fact, my entire sale for the day was one book. At $1. But that's fine, as I ended up roaming the dealers room and artists alley as a fan. I picked up a handful of goofy, weird, and plain awful 60s and 70s comics from the dollar bin to decorate my office wall with. I'm talking books like The Witching Hour, Teen Confessions, Weird Sports Stories, Tragg and the Sky Gods, G.I. Combat, and assorted other DC, Marvel, and Gold Key titles. I love the covers on books from that era, man.

I also had the pleasure of participating on two different panels during the show, one on writing dialogue and another on delving the digital side of comics. Amusing anecdote from the dialogue panel: Marvel writer Marc Sumerak, commenting on writing realistic dialogue for books featuring young characters (Power Pack, Machine Teen,) said that as creepy as it sounds, he finds himself spending a lot of time hanging out at the food court of local malls. My suggestion for a less creepy method of research was watching documentaries. Anyway, both panels were a fun experience, only slightly marred by the presence of an obnoxious, overly-talkative guest. Man, some people just love to hear themselves talk, don't they?

Ah yes, there was also the personally momentous occasion of finally filling in all the pages of my convention sketchbook that I had started back in 1990! That's right, 15 years in the making, 100 pages of con sketches from the likes of John Romita Jr., Jim O'Barr, Paul Chadwick, Sergio Aragones, Paul Pope, and tons of other artists, well known and otherwise. The final page in the book went to one of my favorite artists, Andy Lee. I asked him to draw whatever he wanted, and got this colorful parrot drinking from a water bowl. Man, I love Andy's stuff. Watching him paint, with a Jackson Pollock-like abandon, paint flying everywhere, is a real treat. Here's the aforementioned piece:

(click to enlarge)

And he even did a freebie 11x17 Batman sketch for me as well:

(click to enlarge)

Ok, let's wrap up this report with a few Rants, Raves, and Rumors:

RANTS
  • To the self-deluded "rockstar" artist who showed up with his entire posse: WTF? Most of us were crammed two to a table, with a wall behind us and little space to maneuver if we wanted to get out from behind the row of tables. At one point I counted seven hanger-ons sitting behind your table, cutting off all traffic. Seriously, dude, what the hell?
  • To the creator who showed up late, with absolutely nothing to display: you sat there most of Saturday just listening to your music with headphones on. Hey, here's an idea: next time, make an effort. That table that you got for free? Dozens of more deserving, up-and-coming creators were locked out of the show because your apathetic ass was wasting the space. Jerk.
RAVES
  • Big ups to Roger and the con organizers for not only giving me the nod for artist alley, but also putting me on a couple panels. It was much appreciated.
  • Congrats to my table neighbor Stuart Seyger, indy creator of Shiver in the Dark, for landing the sweet gig drawing the Bionicle comic for Lego. Some may scoff at a toy tie-in comic, but that book gets shipped to literally millions of Lego fans all over the world. Now that's exposure!
  • Writer/Artist Steve Harrison was handing out free copies of the first three issues of his comic book, Fabricari. Why? To promote the book's move to a webcomic-only publishing model. And you know what? It worked. It got me hooked on the series, and I'll definitely be checking out the Fabricari webcomic. Good stuff, Steve, and a great con promotion.
  • Matt Kish, not only are you the handsomest member of PANEL, but you also did a heck of a job moderating the panels at the show. Despite the...er, Talky MacTalk dude on that one panel.
  • Dave Aiken, you were a gracious host Saturday night. We're all jealous of your amazing original art collection! And the action figures. My god, the thousands of action figures...
  • Andy Bennett, you've got to share that hilarious Art Baltazar story with everyone! Post it on the blog, or in the comments section.
RUMORS
  • Kyle Hotz is one of my favorite pencilers. Kyle was at the show. Kyle recounted the story of how he was offered two different monthly books, one from Marvel, the other from DC. The Marvel book was drawing the new X-Factor for Peter David. He turned it down (Ryan Sook was eventually picked up as the artist for that book.) Why did he turn down such a great opportunity, you may ask? Because he wanted to work on the DC book, to be written by Steve Niles, a writer whose tastes match Kyle's own. But he wasn't allowed to name the title. So let the rumors fly. My money is on a new Deadman serial.

And that, my friends, is that. I leave you now with another great convention sketch I got from my other favorite artist: Hanna, age 6. Thanks for stopping by the show and saying hi, baby.

(click to enlarge)

Posted by Tom on 11/29/2005 08:07:00 PM :

Here comes the Secret Voice!!
Zack Soto's debut comes out tommorow. A 64 page whopper from Adhouse for only $5! He's been in a few anthologies and his mini's have one an Ignatz.

Here's a Spurgeon interview with Zack from last month.

Posted by Tony on 11/29/2005 03:13:00 PM :

The Connies: 2005 Mid-Ohio edition

Paris Hilton Jet Setter Award: Dara Naraghi, who could never be found home at his table.

Regis Philbin award for best host: Matt Kish. (but maybe he’d prefer Don Knotts).

Heather Locklear Award for Best Cameo: (tie) Gus Dahlberg and Dan Barlow.

Harriet Tubman Award: Tony Goins, who smuggled in four people on one spare pass.

Fox Mulder Award: Andy Bennett, bringing the spooky one more time.

Fred Ricart “We’re Dealin’” Award: Craig Bogart, who snagged Godzilla No. 1 for $5 and sold Ineffables 1-3 for only $1. He failed to haggle the guy down on his price for the Adam West Batman, however.

Brigham Young Award: Tom Williams. Like Brigham Young bringing the word of Mormonism to Utah, Tom took the light of Panel out into the hallway.

Brutus Buckeye Award for Best Mascot: (tie) Cassidy and Hannah.

I Am Not A Slut, I’m Just Popular Award: Sean McKeever, with his very own panel.

Wherever You Go, There You Are Award: Moonstone Books, bringing out a Buckaroo Banzai comic.

Happy Accidents Award: Andy Lee, who seemed to be painting with his shirt.

Tenacity of the Cockroach Award: The portly gentleman who spent 40 minutes kneeling in front of adult performer Jasmine Gray. He was rewarded with the opportunity to carry her tripod to the car. Did he show her his tripod? We’ll never know.

Monosodium Glutamate Award for Preservation: Cathy St. George, Playboy’s Miss August, 1982.

Tears of the Clown Award: Michelangelo Cicerone, whose “Opening Shots” brings the greatest hits from some pretty bad dates.

When You Wish Upon A Star Award: Matt Feazell, now featured in Disney Adventures.

Print Is Dead Award: The Fabricari crew, giving out free copies of their comic book to promote their Web site.

Silk Purse Award: Douglas Paskiewicz, who came out with a hardbound collection of Arsenic Lullaby.

George Costanza “Worlds Collide” Award: Erik Hodson, the guy next to me, who drew Transformers vs Godzilla, Spider-Man vs Jason and Chun Li vs. Elektra.

Diana Ross Award for Achievement in Costume Changes: That one guy who was Superman, Aquaman and the Golden Age Green Lantern.

Cute But Deadly Award: Lil’ Darth Vader.

The Clueless Ass-hat Award Pt. 1 goes to.. that rent-a-cop that stopped me for taking pictures with my camera. Totally legit for the con as it was not a video camera. Did they ever notice the huge copyright infringement going on in the dealer room?? Dick.

The Clueless Ass-hat Award Pt. 2 goes to.. the rent-a-cops that didn't catch the people seated next to me who did have video recording equiptment. A hidden camera rigged in to a guy's Scarecrow mask. They were watching a live feed set up on their laptop at their table. Funny as hell but oh so illegal by MOC rules.

Paris Hilton Award for Achievement in Overexposure: Zombies. Sweet Christmas, there were a lot of zombies.

Cher Award: Justin. Just Justin.

Posted by Dara on 11/29/2005 09:19:00 AM :

Freak out

For you Doctor Strange fans out there, here's a site with a few psychedelic blacklight posters of the Master of the Mystic Arts! Trippy.

Monday, November 28, 2005

Posted by Matt Kish on 11/28/2005 01:00:00 PM :

Just a quick one to let you all know that I posted some pictures of the Great Ogre Gathering and the Mid-Ohio Con as well over at Spudd 64, in the news section. You might have to scroll down a bit, but the links to the pics are pretty clearly labeled and easy to find. Not too much in the way of a con report, and mostly pictures of people we all know, but there are some funny shots so check it out.

Permalink for this post by Matt Kish || 0 comments || e-mail to a friend:

Posted by Dara on 11/28/2005 10:47:00 AM :

Caleb's Mid-Ohio-Con report

Just a quick note to let you know our journalist pal J. Caleb Mozzocco has a short con report over at Newsarama.com. And he name drops PANEL and the site! So to return the favor, be sure to check out the Columbus alt weekly paper ALIVE in print or online for Caleb's contributions. You can find his stuff in the Arts section, especially the Comics sub-section.

Posted by Tony on 11/28/2005 09:41:00 AM :

Back from Mid-Ohio Con 2005

All in all, I kind of miss John Byrne.

As you all remember, Byrne’s hilarious antics were the talk of last year’s Mid-Ohio Con. If there were any equivalent hilarities this year, I sure didn’t see it. I think we’re all the poorer for it.

Actually, Mid-Ohio Con 2005 was more notable for who didn’t show up than who did. They had a model panel. I’d like to tell you I wasn’t disappointed that Mick Foley (WWE’s “Mankind”) stayed home, but that would be a lie. I was horribly disappointed. Tony Isabella wasn’t there, for crying out loud. It’s enough to give a con a complex.

Not that I can blame anyone for staying home. I didn’t see many long lines, and Steve Englehart looked downright lonely. Margot Kidder’s line seemed pretty moderate, and many times you could walk right up to Langley from the X-Files.

Speaking of rejection, the word around the campfire is we’re getting kicked out of the Hilton next year. I always thought the spectacle of comic geeks in Paris’ house was disconcerting – the toilet in the front bathroom was clogged up by 10 a.m. Saturday. Next year’s show will be at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, a cavernous warehouse ideal for caging comic geeks.

I don’t know if you’d call it a contraction of the convention, but maybe a retrenchment. So long as there are still comix dealers, bootleg DVDs and aging centerfolds, that’s really all I’m looking for in a convention.

The show went pretty well for me personally. I sold enough to cover my lunch at McDonald’s, with a little left over for a snack at White Castle on the way home. In five years at Mid-Ohio the only celebrity I’ve ever approached was Lou Ferrigno. I snagged two pulp novels for $20, and there were still Playboy models and bootleg DVDs.

And I sure don’t mind the move. The convention center is within walking distance of my apartment.

Did I miss some drama? If so, send it to me. I'm also taking nominations for the Convention Awards, aka the coveted "Connies." E-mail them to me at dtony76@hotmail.com.

If you're looking for the "Guess the Artist Monday" feature, keep scrollin'.

Posted by Dara on 11/28/2005 08:18:00 AM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

Welcome to all our new readers from Mid Ohio Con!

I'm pretty excited about this week's page, because frankly, it's going to be a tough one. Not only that, but it's also from such a weird book and I'm almost embarrassed to have it in my collection. By the way, we don't normally give out prizes for correct guesses, but since this one's going to be hard to guess, I'm offering a free copy of out new anthology, PANEL: Music, to the first correct answer. Offer is valid till Friday at midnight.

As always, use the comments section to make your guess.

(click images to biggie size)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005, 11/14/2005, 11/21/2005)

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/27/2005 06:32:00 PM :

MOC Jam

Well, another Mid-Ohio-Con has come and gone. I'm too tired to do any sort of con report right now, but hopefully in a day or two. Not much to say, though, as the show is pretty much the same every year. I'm sure Tony will be posting his "Connies" awards list soon.

In the meantime, here's the jam page that we did on Sunday to pass the time (it was a slooooooow day.) Credits, from left to right:
  • top row: Tom Williams (doggin' on "media guest" Margo Kidder), Andy Bennett (providing the spooky yin to Tom's funny yang)
  • middle row: Tony Goins (ask him about taking a picture of Miss August 1982 Playboy bunny), Craig Bogart (damn intellectuals)
  • bottom row: Matt Kish (he moderated several panels at the show), Dara Naraghi (I can't draw!)

Clicky-clicky to enlarge.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/26/2005 07:24:00 AM :

See you at the show...

The Great Ogre Gathering last night was a lot of fun, as always. I mean, what other comic book store do you know that will feed you free lasagna and help you wash it down with even free-er booze (and I'm talking the expensive stuff...Guinness, Smirnoff Ice, etc.)? Pictures will be posted sometime this weekend. Now I'm off to Mid Ohio Con. Hope to see some of you folks there.

In the meantime, here's a peek at my contribution to Panel: Music, debuting at the show today.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/25/2005 02:13:00 PM :

GOG tonight

For all of you comic book fans in Columbus (and those who will be in town this evening to attend Mid-Ohio-Con tomorrow,) don't forget about The Laughing Ogre's awesome bi-annual Great Ogre Gathering!
"WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?: Comic book professionals (superstars, shooting stars, rising stars, and their respective posses), free catered food (hot and plentiful), free beverages (hot and cold), free snacks (I guarantee tons of dips), free live entertainment (tip them though, they're working for free), festive fellow Mid-Ohio-Conventioneers, free shuttle buses to and from the Hilton at Easton, and those adorable Ogres."
Tonight from 7 PM till midnight. All absolutely free.

Posted by Dara on 11/25/2005 02:11:00 PM :

Wax Off

RIP Mr. Miyagi.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Posted by Tom on 11/23/2005 05:30:00 PM :

New pages up over at CBR of Paul Pope's next venture. Which seems like it got pushed back to February but hey, what's new? I'm just happy Pope throws out a bone once in a while.

Posted by Dara on 11/23/2005 12:13:00 AM :

A Public Service Message from your friends at Ferret Press

(Make your own signs here. Thanks Kevin)

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/22/2005 10:20:00 AM :

John Byrne in Funky

For those of you who care, the storyline that was started last year in Funky Winkerbean about the comic book retailer being arrested for selling an adult comic to an adult, finally comes back to center stage. Here's the start of the current court trial storyline.

Guest starring John Byrne as himself. No, seriously.

Posted by Dara on 11/22/2005 10:15:00 AM :

Stupid Comics

Ah, comics. When they're good, they're fun. When they're bad, not so much.

But when they're really bad, then they're fun again.

So in that spirit, here's another great time waster site: Stupid Comics. Apparently it gets updated each week, plus there's currently an archive of 28 weeks worth of bad comics to ridicule.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/21/2005 09:07:00 PM :

Las Vegas

Not the city, but rather the s*** show on NBC. I had the misfortune of catching the first 5 minutes of the episode tonight. Seems they're hosting a comic book convention at the fictional casino. And in just those few minutes, we have several references to comic book geeks, several on-camera geeks seeking the autograph of Lara Flynn Boyle's character who they think is MothWoman, and some other comic book geek dressed in green spandex and cape swinging from a rope across the casino hall and crashing into a pillar.

So you know, basically what happens at every comic book convention I've been to.

F***ing worthless TV writers.

Posted by Dara on 11/21/2005 09:40:00 AM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

This one's one of my favorites, simply because this page is so bad, yet the artist responsible for it went on to become an incredible draftsman. But man, looking at this page, it makes my eyes hurt. That awkward pose in the last panel? Yeesh! And this is one of the better pages from the story, some of the others were just...pure ass. I can't believe DC would even publish something like this.

As always, use the comments section to make your guess. I have a feeling this will be an easy one, though.

(click images to fully appreciate the "no backgrounds" style)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005, 11/14/2005)

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/20/2005 06:51:00 PM :

Lost recap

Sorry, too much going on this week, which is why I didn't get a chance to post the usual Thursday morning recap of this week's episode of LOST. So instead, I'll make a few quick comments and then point you to a couple of awesome LOST fan sites with great clues and theories.

Although it was cool to see what happened to the tail section "losties" in this episode, not much of it was something we hadn't known before. It was interesting to see the two kids, though. One would assume they were the legs we saw in the jungle in a previous episode, abducted by The Others. But the big thing in this episode was what went down between Ana Lucia and Goodwin. So he was another "infiltrator," much like Ethan. Blending in with the crash survivors, but not one of them. So the question is, who are these guys? The Others? Project Dharma personnel? The way she disposed of him was pretty gruesome, though hinted at in a previous episode. Also, the comment he made about why they took some people but not others...something along the lines of they only take the "good" ones. Curioser and curioser. It has many ramifications. First, is it because The Others are trying to create a utopian society, and as such only want good people in? If so, how can they tell who meets those standards. And by extension, doesn't that mean that the ones not taken are "bad" in some way?

My money is on Mr. Eko being a murderer of some type, only recently trying to exorcise the ghosts of his past misdeeds. He's by far my favorite new character, by the way.

Ok, now for some fun reading:

This site has transcribed all the "whispers" heard in the jungle by the various losties. Clues aplenty, I'd imagine.

And on this site, a guy going by the name of Andrew Smith has an incredibly detailed, well thought out theory regarding what's going on in the show. The crux of it is a "collective consciousness" guiding every event, via the electromagnetic properties existing on the island. Fascinating stuff, and probably the best out of all the theories I've read so far.

Posted by Dara on 11/20/2005 05:07:00 PM :

Come meet us at Mid-Ohio-Con!

The following members of Ferret Press and the PANEL writers/artists collective will once again be attending Mid-Ohio-Con in our backyard of Columbus, Ohio:
  • Dara Naraghi
  • Andy Bennett
  • Tom Williams
  • Craig Bogart
  • Tony Goins
  • Matt Kish
The show will take place on November 26 & 27, and will be celebrating its 25th anniversary. Stop by the official Mid-Ohio-Con website for details, directions, and a full list of guests (such as Adam Hughes, Peter David, Paul Jenkins, Joe Jusko, and more.)

In addition, several of us will be on panels at the show:
"SATURDAY - 2:30pm Panel Room B - Delving The Digital
How do you take it digital? Or does it start digital? How do you manipulate images and text on the Web? What works best? How do you display your page on the Web? Can you turn clicks to cash? Jeff Carlisle (artist, Piezo Publishing) discusses comics and using the Web with Justin (World Famous Comics), Thom Zahler (Web and graphic design), Dara Naraghi (Ferret Press), Chris Moreno (illustrator), and Sean McKeever (seanmckeever.com).

SUNDAY - 1:30pm Panel Room B - Let's Dialog About Dialog
Writing dialog is easy unless you want to do it well. Good, natural dialog can be a real challenge, so let's talk about talking. How do you avoid stilted speech patterns? How do you capture an accent on paper? Can the rules of grammar be ignored completely? Matt Kish (Spudd 64) discusses dialog with David Mack (Kabuki), Paul Storrie (Revisionary), Dara Naraghi (Ferret Press), CJ Henderson (lots of writing!), and America's Most Beloved Comic-Book Writer & Columnist, Tony Isabella.

SUNDAY - 2pm Panel Room B - The Draw'n Of The Dead
They shamble and they stumble. They rot and they stink. They moan and they groan. Where the heck do you get a photo reference for that kind of stuff? Do I need an anatomy class or can I fake it? What about using gore, should it be implied or splashed generously around the room? Jeff Carlisle (artist, Piezo Publishing) hosts a chat about the technical aspects of drawing the dead, the near-dead, and the undead with James O'Barr (The Crow), Dave Aikins (Zombies!!!), Andy Bennett (Kolchak: the Night Stalker), Jerry Beck (Evil Ernie, Chaos), and Tony Moore (The Walking Dead)."

Be sure to check out the program of events for all the details.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Posted by T.McClurg on 11/19/2005 09:08:00 PM :

Brilliant!!

Wasting time with web comix...

Long time no post...I've been trampling through the world of web comix and have a new favorite...Butternut Squash. Looks like I'm late in finding this, buy what the hell...good stuff. Check these guys out for some good work avoiding times...

www.butternutsquash.com

Any one out there have any favorite digital reads?

Permalink for this post by T.McClurg || 0 comments || e-mail to a friend:

Posted by Tom on 11/19/2005 10:19:00 AM :

Ahhh buddy, I bought a copy of the Fountain. The new DC adaptation by Darron Aronofsky and Kent Williams. It's f'ing beautiful. I haven't seen that much press on the book. Weird. Here's the trailer for the film.

Posted by Tom on 11/19/2005 10:02:00 AM :

It's goin' to press!

From the bowls of Dara's Basement lurks.. Panel:Music. Andy & I are printing out a mock-up to take to the copy shop today. I had my worries but we pulled through. High fives all around.

Posted by Dara on 11/19/2005 09:17:00 AM :

More fun with the news

Tom Peyer's back at The Pulse with more comic book covers explaining the news. My favorite is the last one, with the guy saying "Follow me into the unknown!"

Friday, November 18, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/18/2005 09:31:00 AM :

Superhero or...household cleaner?

Test your knowledge!

"Boraxo"?

"Mr. Muscle"?

I got 17 out of 20 right.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/17/2005 01:08:00 PM :

Hey kids, boobs...er, comics

The DC Comics solicitations are out, and you know what that means. Yep, it's a little game we play once a month where we tally the number of comic covers using T&A (mostly T) to sell, sell, sell issues.

However, it saddens me to report this month that DC is letting down all the pre-pubescent fanboys with their dismal number of boobie covers.
  • I mean, there's this, but that's a group cover with dozens of other distractions, so it doesn't really qualify.
  • The metallic boobies from last month are very disappointing this month.
  • See point number 1 above regarding this one.
  • This kinda' sorta' counts.
  • Ditto for this one.
Nah, the only legitimate entry this month is courtesy of the always reliable fetish master, Howard Chaykin.

Better luck next month, DC. Just keep in mind, you have to keep your eyes on the (ahem) ball, otherwise you'll find Marvel gaining on you and stealing your thunder.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/16/2005 10:19:00 AM :

Check this out: comic books and...belly dancers?

Only in California. The Oakland Tribune writes about "Carnival of Stars," a comic book and belly dancer festival!
"They're surprised that I'm a belly dance teacher and a comic book artist," Alexandria said. The Berkeley woman declined to give her last name. "When you put it all together, it's a really fun, cultural, artistic experience."
Now that's what we need in Columbus. Maybe we should talk to Bob Corby and spice up the next SPACE show?

Monday, November 14, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/14/2005 11:44:00 AM :

Animated GIF

Wow. File under "people with too much time on their hands."

Posted by Dara on 11/14/2005 09:44:00 AM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

Another Monday, another chance to try out your detective skills and guess which big name comic book artist drew this page early on in their career...

(click images to parry and thrust)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005, 11/7/2005)

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/12/2005 11:37:00 AM :

A couple non-comics links for your weekend reading enjoyment

Two are real, one is fake (well, kinda').

Boing Flight Sets New Record - A Boing 777-200LR Worldliner made a non-stop 13,422 mile trip from Hong Kong to London. "The jet spent 22 hours and 43 minutes in the air."

Dog Named cat of the Year - A 17 year old schnauzer-Siberian husky mix named Ginny, adopted from a shelter, will be eulogized at the Westchester Cat Show. During the course of her life, Ginny found and saved hundreds of abandoned or injured cats.

Bush to Veto Ban on Torture - "Unless these enemies of the United States are captured, made really angry and resentful through embarrassing torture, then released, we will never stop terrorism," says Joseph Teague, Adjustment Clerk.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/11/2005 01:48:00 PM :

NaNoWriMo

For Tony, who's once again participating in National Novel Writing Month, here's a cool essay on why NaNoWriMo is a good thing. The most direct quote:
"1. Nanowrimo encourages people to put up or shut up"

Posted by Dara on 11/11/2005 12:22:00 PM :

Better comics storytelling

From T Campbell's blog, a set of rules designed for better comics storytelling. There are 11 mentioned, most having to do with action scenes and such, but all are well thought out.
"2. Expository dialogue must be motivated. Dialogue must always emerge from character and situation. Characters in a crowd may call each other by name to clarify to each other whom they are addressing. If two characters are alone, though, they cannot call each other by name simply to clarify it to us. There are many other reasons to use a person's name-- and to mention other things about them or about oneself-- but there must always be a reason."
Anyone want to add their own rules to the list? Discuss.

(via Cognitive Dissonance)

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/10/2005 09:02:00 PM :

What I'd like to know is...

...why does god allow f***ers like Pat Robertson to live and spread bigotry, hypocrisy, and hatred to millions of people in His name?
"Conservative Christian televangelist Pat Robertson told citizens of a Pennsylvania town that they had rejected God by voting their school board out of office for supporting "intelligent design" and warned them on Thursday not to be surprised if disaster struck."
The exact quote from Mr. "Let's Assassinate Venezuelan Present Hugo Chavez" himself:
"And don't wonder why He hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for His help because he might not be there."
That's right, the kind and loving god of the Christian faith is gonna turn his back on innocent people, apparently because a bunch of heathen liberals voted out 8 ignorant assholes who had no place sitting on a school board to begin with. Yep, he's a vengeful, angry sumbitch who holds a grudge, that god of Pat Robertsons. None of that love and forgiveness for ol' Patrick. Dude, the country has just suffered through some of the worst natural disasters in its history. This is how you do the lord's work? By threatening more people with death and destruction?

If there is a god and such a thing as heaven and hell, my sole consolation is that hateful, hypocritical people like Robertson will be the first ones strung up by their nuts and burned in rivers of fire for all eternity by satan and his minions.

To end of a positive note, though, dig this:
"In voting on Tuesday, all eight Dover, Pennsylvania, school board members up for re-election lost their seats after trying to introduce "intelligent design" to high school science students as an alternative to the theory of evolution."
All. Eight. Right on, town of Dover. Every time I think we as a country are collectively jumping into that handbasket, a small group of people like this restore my faith that maybe, just maybe, not all people are as gullible as certain powers-that-be think they are.

Posted by Dara on 11/10/2005 03:18:00 PM :

Thursday Lost recap

Warning, potential spoilers if you haven't watched the episode yet

So finally a new episode, and it seemed pretty uneventful until the last scene. My random thoughts:

• I really didn't care for the whole Shannon/Sayid relationship, especially the way it was seemingly forced as a mere plot device. I know I missed a bunch of the first season episodes, but honestly, what exactly brought these two disparate characters together? And Sayid professing his love for her? Sorry, I don't buy it. Too forced. And they've done so much to portray her as a selfish, useless individual that it's hard to have any sort of sympathy - or empathy - for her.
  • One thing I liked seeing: Michael finally saying "enough is enough, tell me what's going on here." I mean, that's how I've felt as a viewer. The tail section survivors make all these mysterious and non-committal references to events and dangers, but for the last several episodes nobody has asked any questions. Seems very unrealistic, given the characters' situation. Of course, the answer Ana gave was still pretty vague, but at least it was something.
  • The way that one tail section lady got "kidnapped" (I'm assuming by The Others) as the group was making their way up that cliff...it seemed very cliched. What, nobody saw or heard a thing? They were all right there. Oh well.
  • Stuff I didn't notice, but saw on a message board: So Ana says there were 23 tail section survivors, 3 were "taken" by The Others in their first raid, then another 9. We saw a dead guy in the woods with a spear through his chest, let's assume that's Goodwin. So that's 13 taken/dead, there are currently 5 tail section survivors...so what about the other 5?
  • More stuff I didn't notice, but saw on a message board: and this is probably the biggie of the episode...who shot Shannon? They made it look like it was Anna. However, it's been pointed out that: a) Shannon looked like she had a stab wound, not a gunshot wound, b) when Sayid looks up from holding her body, in the extreme foreground, is a figure holding a gun down by their leg, in their left hand, c) Ana was shown holding the gun in her right hand. So the theory goes that crazy French lady actually shot (or stabbed) Shannon, out of jealousy because she's got a thing for Sayid. Then Anna shot her. So the two groups still haven't "met up" with each other, despite how the ending scene was edited to look like.

By the way, apparently what Walt said when he appeared to Shannon and Sayid was "I'm coming and I'm close."

Posted by Sean McGurr on 11/10/2005 11:07:00 AM :

Our Favorite Crank...
Harvey Pekar will be interviewed by Terry Gross this afternoon on Fresh Air (check your National Public Radio station for times; mostly are online and the shows get archived if you miss it).

I imagine that Harvey will be discussing his Vertigo book The Quitter. Anyone read it yet? I finished it a couple of days ago. Good stuff. I was impressed by Dean Haspiel's art which I normally don't like.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Posted by Tom on 11/09/2005 07:31:00 PM :

Tag! Yer it!

Programs annouced at this year's Mid-Ohio Con. Two of which sport a couple of Panelista's (Andy and Dara) Andy will be kickin' it at the Drawin' of the Dead (Sunday @ 2pm) Dara will be pimpin' out at Let's Dialog About Dialog (Sunday @ 1:30 pm) Matt Kish will be hosting a panel or two. The real news is Sean McKeever, I've lost count on how many panels he's in. The only one I don't think he's on is the stripperrrr..'Model' panel though he did briefly consider surgery. Sentinel fans will just have to wait it out till he returns to his table. Kidding.

Posted by Dara on 11/09/2005 10:00:00 AM :

Eric Shanower at University of Cincinnati, Nov. 16, 17

From a press release over at The Pulse:
"SAN DIEGO, CA, Nov. 7, 2005 -- Award-winning cartoonist Eric Shanower will discuss Age of Bronze, his graphic novel retelling of the Trojan War, at the University of Cincinnati on November 16 at 7 pm. In words and pictures he will demonstrate how he uses both the literary and archaeological traditions to create a new version of the story for today’s readers.

Eric Shanower will be speaking about Troy and Age of Bronze on Wednesday, November 16, at 7 pm in Blegen Library 308 at the University of Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Blegen Library is off Clifton Ave. at the corner of Straight St. by the main entrance to campus. The general public is welcome. There is no charge."
Too bad it's in the middle of the week. I'd be up for carpooling down there if it was on a weekend.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Posted by Tony on 11/08/2005 12:07:00 PM :

Protecting citizens both near ... and FAR!

Alex Ross takes on the world's greatest superhero!

(My Heck, it's totally work safe.)

Posted by Tony on 11/08/2005 09:40:00 AM :

Why I love comix

Alright, today we're looking at the "Punisher: Mother Russia" arc, written by Garth Ennis. Nick Fury recruits the Punisher to conduct a dangerous secret mission deep inside the former Soviet Union. Fury does this on behalf of a group of American military generals, but they're not telling him the full story. By the fifth issue, Fury finds out they've arranged a fake al Qaida-style terrorist attack to cover the Punisher's tracks.

Fury demands to know which one of the generals is responsible. Instead of lecturing the general on ethics or strategy, Fury takes off his belt and beats the general to within an inch of his life.

With his belt. His belt.

I'm sorry, but you just can't get away with that stuff in any other medium. Comix are just punk enough to tolerate it.

Add your tales of only-in-comix awesomeness on the comments thread.

Posted by Dara on 11/08/2005 09:20:00 AM :

The Tokyopop juggernaut rolls on

Saw this over at Newsarama: Tokyopop and Universal Press Syndicate have struck a deal to offer several Original English Language (OEL) manag comics to newspaper Sunday comic pages.
"Newspapers that will begin carrying the Tokyopop manga in their comics sections include: the Los Angeles Times, Denver Post, Vancouver Sun, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, and The Detroit News."
Very interesting.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/07/2005 10:22:00 AM :

Monday Morning "Guess the Artist"

And we're back to our regular Monday morning format, wherein you, the blog reader, are invited to guess the artist behind this page. All are big name creators, though often the examples are from early in their career.

(click images to gigantisize)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005, 11/6/2005)

Posted by Dara on 11/07/2005 09:29:00 AM :

Zod in '08

Enough of this partisan politics. After the disaster of the Bush presidency, we need a leader who's at least honest about the fact that he doesn't give a rat's ass about truth, ethics, or the plight of the common man.

I say vote Zod. General Zod 2008.
"When I first came to your planet and demanded your homes, property and very lives, I didn't know you were already doing so, willingly, with your own government. I can win no tribute from a bankrupted nation populated by feeble flag-waving plebians. In 2008 I shall restore your dignity and make you servants worthy of my rule. This new government shall become a tool of my oppression. Instead of hidden agendas and waffling policies, I offer you direct candor and brutal certainty. I only ask for your tribute, your lives, and your vote.

-- General Zod
Your Future President and Eternal Ruler "

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/06/2005 10:25:00 PM :

Dreams Shattered, Light of Hope Extinguished

So I caught about 15 minutes of one of the worst made-for-TV movies I have ever seen: Category 7: The End of the World. Apparently it's a sequel to "Category 6: Day of Destruction" that nobody asked for. This monstrosity "stars" Shannen Doherty, Randy Quaid, Tom Skerritt, James Brolin, Robert Wagner, and...

...god, it pains me to say it...

Gina Gershon.

As "FEMA's newly appointed director."

Kill me now.

It's the end of an era. The day my (irrational) love for all things Gina Gershon was torn from my heart and trampled on by the cruel world. I'm supposed to watch a "movie" where she plays a bureaucrat? Are you kidding me? This is Gina Gershon we're talking about here. She plays strippers. Lesbians. Rock stars. Lesbian strippers. Lesbian rock stars. And barring any of that, some minor character in a crazy-ass French version of a David Lynch movie about Japanese animated porn and corporate espionage.

But now someone has cast her as the freakin' head of FEMA.

RIP Gina Gershon. My love for you shall never die, though it be diminished by this recent turn of events.

And to Wendy: may the lord bless you with good fortune and riches beyond your wildest dreams for coming to my rescue during my lowest hour. The picture you e-mailed me was like a shelter as I lay buffeted by the raging winds of a destructive storm...a category 7 hurricane, one might say. I will share it with the world, in hopes that it will bring solace to other similarly disenchanted and dejected men.

And women.

Posted by Dara on 11/06/2005 10:11:00 PM :

Monday Morning All Week "Guess the Artist" Answers

Thanks for playing along, everyone. As a one-stop-shop, here are the answers to all 7 of this week's "all-Batman pinup week" feature (though you guys managed to guess them all correctly anyway).

10/31/2005 - Neil Adams
11/1/2005 - Walt Simonson
11/2/2005 - Keith Giffen
11/3/2005 - Kyle Baker
11/4/2005 - Jim Aparo
11/5/2005 - Howard Chaykin
11/6/2005 - Tim Truman

As Gus mentioned in one of the comment sections, all of these pinups were from Detective Comics #598-600, celebrating the 50th anniversary of Batman, published in 1989. The story that ran through those issues was titled "Blind Justice," and was written by Sam Hamm, the screenwriter of the first Tim Burton Batman movie. Art was provided by one of my favorite underappreciated artists, Denys Cowan.

Posted by Dara on 11/06/2005 11:41:00 AM :

Monday Morning All Week "Guess the Artist"

Special All-week Birthday Bash with Batman Pinups edition!

And so our all-Batman pinup week comes to an end. This one may be a bit tougher to guess than the previous ones in the bunch, as the artist isn't necessarily one you'd associate with Batman...or mainstream superheroes in general.

(click images for two-fisted action adventure)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005, 11/5/2005)

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/05/2005 09:45:00 AM :

Slice of life

Overheard conversations, both true:

"Oh yeah, I remember him. He was your live-in lover, right?" -- group of ladies in their 60s, smoking and drinking in the patio of Buca di Beppo, Friday, Nov. 4

"I just can't decide if I like big balls or little balls." -- one woman commenting to her friend while inspecting Christmas tree ornaments at Big Lots, Thursday, Nov. 3

Posted by Dara on 11/05/2005 09:38:00 AM :

Monday Morning All Week "Guess the Artist"

Special All-week Birthday Bash with Batman Pinups edition!

We're reaching the end of our all-Batman guess the artist extravaganza. For the penultimate chapter, I present a little retro fun...

(click images to go-go size)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005, 11/3/2005, 11/4/2005)

Friday, November 04, 2005

Posted by Tom on 11/04/2005 06:07:00 PM :

Boy, Millionaire's really sticking it to Rall.. again!?

I love the discussion boards at The Journal. The best ones are the closed threads. I've never seen so many. Here's a recent one that's been going on for a while. Here's part of what kicked it off (Millionaire quoting Rall)

RALL: As if that wasn't bad enough, the Times' Sunday Magazine has introduced a section called "The Funny Pages" which includes a one-page serialized graphic novel by, incredibly--the dead worst graphic novelist in America, Chris Ware.

Ware, best known for his Jimmy Corrigan GN of a few years ago, is a fine draughtsman who works wonders as illustration's answer to Death Cab for Cutie.

Wow! But not suprizing as I've met Ted Rall in person and the guy's an ass. Talented yes, but pretty much a jerk all around. Rall comes up like a boil every once in a while on the board and venom is almost a given. Good time waster if you have it.

Posted by Dara on 11/04/2005 02:24:00 PM :

Funny new column at The Pulse

Comic scribe and funny guy Tom Payer has a cool new column at The Pulse: The News, Explained With Comic Book Covers. Yep, it's basically what it says. Lots of digs at the current administration, as you could guess, using covers from the classic Marvel series Strange Tales.

Posted by Dara on 11/04/2005 09:19:00 AM :

Monday Morning All Week "Guess the Artist"

Special All-week Birthday Bash with Batman Pinups edition!

Another easy one today, I would imagine.

(click images to Gothamsize picture)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005 11/3/2005)

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Posted by Tom on 11/03/2005 06:19:00 PM :

Now that's F'ed up!

_Couple of things I saw over on Heidi McDonald's Pulse blog. One was a quote from Steve Bissette on Vertigo contracts. It was pretty freaky. To summerize, if you pitch something at Vertigo and for some reason they don't publish it. They still own it. Read on...

DC/Vertigo requires that all fees connected to a given project be reimbursed to DC/Vertigo -- all fees including payment to all participants, and (according to one account) editorial fees and publisher overhead -- before they'll “release” a property.

Yup. Still trying to locate the posted DC/Vertigo contract (annoted by Dave Sim) which goes into detail.

_The other article talks about Speakeasy's policy on projects. It's similar to Image's model where for a flat fee they'll publish your work. It's lower than Image's deal but the sales are so poor you would still owe Speakeasy money on production. It's forced Rocketo to move over to Image. Read more at Heidi's blog. You'll have to scroll down a little.

Posted by Dara on 11/03/2005 10:35:00 AM :

Monday Morning All Week "Guess the Artist"

Special All-week Birthday Bash with Batman Pinups edition!

Another easy one today. Also, it's my birthday!

"We gon' party like it's yo birfday
We gon' sip Bacardi like it's yo birfday..."

(click images to get some dinner, Tina you fat lard)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005, 11/2/2005)

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/02/2005 09:40:00 AM :

Monday Morning All Week "Guess the Artist"

Special All-week Birthday Bash with Batman Pinups edition!

Today's piece is an easy one. And no guessing from Gus :-)

(click images to strike fear into the hearts of cowardly criminals)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005, 11/1/2005)

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Posted by Dara on 11/01/2005 11:20:00 PM :

Join S.H.I.E.L.D.

So you think you're a bad ass? You think you love Halloween? You think you put a lot of work into your costume?

No you don't.

But Dave does.

Posted by Tony on 11/01/2005 02:21:00 PM :

The voices

“I have this house in the country ... and I go there and I spend many days by myself. Which is not for the faint of heart, but if you’re a writer, you really have to do that. And I think if you’re a writer you’re not lonely, because you have all of these voices in your head.”

Candace Bushnell, author of Sex and the City and Lipstick Jungle, quoted in Columbus, 10-20-2005.

Posted by Dara on 11/01/2005 09:12:00 AM :

Monday Morning All Week "Guess the Artist"

Special All-week Birthday Bash with Batman Pinups edition!

My birthday week all Batman pinup edition of Guess the Artist rolls on...

(click images to gothify)

(previous weeks: 9/12/2005, 9/19/2005, 9/26/2005, 10/3/2005, 10/10/2005, 10/17/2005, 10/24/2005, 10/31/2005)

Posted by Tom on 11/01/2005 06:52:00 AM :

Scared!: How to Draw Fantastic Horror Comics

This one's for Andy. Steve Miller talks to the Pulse about his new How to Draw book of Monsters. Other contributers (from ye old G5 days) include Brian Baugh and Bill Bronson. Expats from CCAD.