Monday, February 28, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/28/2005 10:13:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 119

Got a nasty headache tonight, so this is going to be a short one. Just wanted to share a couple choice local TV items I ran across while flipping through the channels.

1) Apparently there's some religious programming on channel 19 called Manna-Fest with Perry Stone. How do I know this? Because as I flipped past the channel, I was assaulted with the huge graphic asking the same question Mr. Stone was asking: "Why does Satan hate Israel and the Jews?" And he was asking this while standing in front of a church in Jerusalem. Wearing a blue and white jogging suit. He's going on and on about the holiest city in the world, and how Satan engineered the holocaust, and he's wearing a friggin' jogging suit!!! You can't make this shit up, folks. It just amazes me that people like him can get their own friggin' TV show!

2) Our very own NewsCenter is set to follow up their award winning investigative reporting piece on teenage girl boob jobs with - wait for it - an award winning investigative reporting piece on swingers.

No, not the movie. The lifestyle. Central Ohio swingers. There's a scary thought.

(I wonder if they contacted Dan to ask him about his experiences DJing at some swinger events...)

And so ends tonight's episode of Bizarro World local TV moments.

Posted by Tony on 2/28/2005 04:55:00 PM :

Plan B, Plan C, Plan D ... Plan U

I'm 2.5 pages into pencilling my Myth story, and it's going to look very different from what you saw described in the script. The pictures I wrote into the script don't, um, they don't work. At least 30 percent of the pictures I'm using I'm making up on the fly. For example, I may have to take out the drag queen scene -- I love it, but it might be distracting from the through-line.

If someone else was monkeying with my script like this, I'd be seriously pissed.

Posted by Dara on 2/28/2005 10:44:00 AM :

New ratings for Marvel comics

In light of Marvel changing their comics rating system, Scott at Polite Dissent offers his own suggestions. Funny stuff.
"NC - Nudity has been Covered up.
JG - Jean Grey dies, again."
(via neilalien)

Posted by Dara on 2/28/2005 09:49:00 AM :

Catwoman movie a "piece of s***" according to Berry
"Berry was named worst actress of 2004 by the Golden Raspberry Award Foundation for her performance in "Catwoman" and she showed up to accept her "Razzie" carrying the Oscar she won in 2002 for "Monster's Ball."

"I want to thank Warner Brothers for casting me in this piece of shit," she said as she dragged her agent on stage and warned him "next time read the script first."
Well, at least she's honest about it.

(via
boingboing)

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/27/2005 11:13:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 118

Generally, I hate awards shows. Especially the Oscars. But I did catch the opening monologue with newbie Oscar host, Chris Rock. And I liked it. Mainly because he took some well deserved potshots at a whole bunch of actors. Not to mention Bushy Bush.

However, I have to say that the whole "controversy" over his selection as this year's Oscars host was so much BS. I mean, come on. Did anybody expect him to turn in a raw, explicit performance? Right. Even with Chris Rock, you know the show is still going to be a stuffy, self-congratulatory wank-fest.

The only thing that his presence accomplished was that a whole bunch of people who otherwise wouldn't watch the awards, did. Hell, he got me to tune in for a while.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/26/2005 04:39:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 117

Lots of people complain about public schools.

And I'll be the first to admit that on a purely academic basis, private schools are certainly doing a better job. However, there's something to be said about diversity that tends to be more pronounced in the public school system. I was thinking about this last night as Wendy and I took Hanna to an International Buffet at her school. It was a fun little event organized by the PTA where the parents brought in various ethnic dishes and setup displays on the culture and foods of different countries. I made a Persian dish to share (Rice with Currants, one of the easier ones). In return I sampled jerk chicken, Rwandan fried potatoes, plantains, crepes, potato pancakes, Belgian waffles, tamales, gnocchi, and a bunch of other dishes.

Anyway, the point I was going to make is that I think it's a wonderful thing for Hanna to be exposed to such racial and cultural diversity in her school at this early age (she's in kindergarten). Her class is the proverbial melting pot of American culture. Whereas I think back to my own time in private school where 90% of the kids were WASPS. And not that there was anything wrong with that per se, but still, I'd hate for Hanna to grow up being so sheltered in her contact with people who come from different background and cultures. Because if there's one thing that's clear watching kids play, it's that they are truly colorblind. The way it should be.

I wish I could say the same thing about the adults who run the world they will one day inherit.

Posted by Dara on 2/26/2005 04:36:00 PM :

Why I like working with Tom Williams, part trois

The redesign of the Rick character:

Posted by Dara on 2/26/2005 10:15:00 AM :

Sin City movie

So have you seen the official Sin City movie website yet? I gotta say, I'm pretty jazzed about this flick.

Friday, February 25, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/25/2005 09:23:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 116

Lately, I've seen a few people on various comic book message boards complain that there just aren't many good comics to read. To which I have to say "which planet are you living on?"

Granted, there are a lot of crappy comics being published by the major publishers. But not everything from Marvel and DC is "bad". There are gems there, if you know where to look. And a higher percentage still (compared to the overall output) at imprints like Vertigo. Not to mention the many different indy titles out there.

But to me, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I mean, think about the decades and decades worth of back issues available dirt cheap. To all those people who lament the loss of "quality" comics from the 70s or 80s, I say "have you heard of a little website called ebay?" Aside from the thousands of individual back issues available for mere pennies, you can easily pick up entire runs of some great old series and mini-series. Not to mention tons of inexpensive graphic novels, new and old. And of course if graphic novels and TPBs are your thing, just look at the stuff available on half.com.

The way I see it, it's not that aren't enough quality comics to read. Rather, it's the lack of time (and money, unless your library system has a good selection) to read all the great stuff available.

Posted by Dara on 2/25/2005 03:13:00 PM :

Hunter S. Thompson

Not to be a "stick in the mud" or anything, but I have to admit I'm getting a bit tired of the hero worship syndrome vis a vis Mr. Thompson's tragic demise. I have nothing against the man or his works, but let's try and separate praise for his works with praise for the man himself. (And yes, I do understand how ludicrous that sounds when dealing with a cult of personality such as Mr. Thompson, who's personal life was nearly inseparable from his work.)

Ok, this is what's bothering me. "The 67-year-old shot himself in the head in the kitchen while his son, daughter-in-law and six-year-old grandson were in the house."

Six. Year. Old. Grandson.

Not to mention his wife was on the phone with him. Nobody should have to see or hear someone they love die of a gunshot to the head. Least of all a six year old boy.

That's messed up.

Posted by Dara on 2/25/2005 01:56:00 PM :

Holy Crap!

Ok, I don't want to hear about obsessive comic book collectors anymore. Check out this guy's house. He collects everything from keychains to decanters to butterflies. On the plus side, he has an amazing knack for displaying them all. I love the way he shows off his keychain collection. And check out his living room:

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/24/2005 11:15:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 115

In the comments section of my musing from yesterday, Matt asked a great question: "Why is it important to you that comics are taken more seriously and grow beyond the kind of perceptions that Simpson mentions?"

I guess the main reason is that I absolutely love the comics medium, so on a purely selfish level I want to make sure it survives well into the future so that I'll always have access to great comics. I'm not going to go into the various reasons why I love comics so much (that's a musing for another day,) but it's the only hobby/interest that I feel passionate about. I enjoy music, I like mountain biking, I play volleyball when I can, and I dig a good book. But none of those things give me as much enjoyment and pleasure and fullfilment as reading a great comic.

And unfortunately, I find my hobby in dire straits these days. It makes me sad to think that I may not be able to take my kids to a store where they can pick up a handful of comics. Not that I'd ever force my hobby on them (I hate when parents do that under the self-deluded idea that "no, little Timmy really wants to be a football player"). But I want the medium to be there for them, if they so choose to explore it. And I want it to be there for anyone else with an interest in writing and artwork.

And to ensure that comics don't die out completely, I feel we need to expand their readership. That's the only way to survive. Give them the potential audience of books: kids, teens, adults, boys, girl, men, women. In other words, everyone. Offer something for everyone. And "taken more seriously" to me doesn't mean "make comics for grown ups". It means make comics so good and so diverse that they are seriously considered as a valid medium for entertainment and/or education. After all, children's books aren't "adult", but they are also not dismissed by adults as "juvenile trash". They are seen as a very legitimate product, able to teach kids reading skills, provide entertainment, and in some cases even moral lessons. That's what I want for comics as well. I want adults to assign that same type of value to them, and only judge the individual bad ones as "trash" the way they would judge a specific book as crap. Not the entire medium.

Anyway, I hope that answers Matt's question. I probably rambled a bit incoherently there, but what can I say. It's late and I'm typing this out as it comes to me. Bottom line, I love comics and know they are capable of so much. I just want to see the field achieve that potential.

Posted by Dara on 2/24/2005 06:34:00 PM :

Hey Joey, do you like Superfriends? Do you like Office Space?

Then this mash-up of the two is for you. T.P.S. Go on, watch it with your "O" face.

(via beaucoupkevin)

Posted by Dara on 2/24/2005 04:16:00 PM :

Hey Joey, do you like pirates? Do you like Jesus?

Courtesy of the website review section of Columbus' own Alive, may I present the blasphemous webcomic sensation, Pirate Jesus.

(someone is so going to hell for this)

Posted by Dara on 2/24/2005 10:01:00 AM :

File under "cool" or "too much time on their hands"

To celebrate National Engineers Week, these guys took over 3800 Post-it notes and created a 4 story mural of Super Mario Brothers action. Go check it out.

Posted by Dara on 2/24/2005 09:47:00 AM :

File under "fighting for peace" or "screwing for virginity"

My friend Mark sent me this one, as seen on CNET News:
"The Department of Homeland Security has named Claria [formerly Gator - DN], an adware maker that online publishers once dubbed a "parasite," to a federal privacy advisory board.

In the past, Claria's pop-up ad software has riled some users who claimed it was annoying, installed without permission, and not easy to delete. Publishers also were irked about pop-up ads for a rival's product appearing next to their own Web sites.

In February 2003, Gator settled a high-profile case brought by The Washington Post, The New York Times, Dow Jones and other media companies. Terms of that deal were quiet, but Claria appears to have stopped delivering pop-ups to those publishers' sites."
Not much to add to this one. Enjoy it for what it is, and rest assured your big brother is protecting you.

Posted by bigbaldkid on 2/24/2005 09:22:00 AM :

watched a piece last night on a iraqian who started a christian church in bagdad with no money, now the church numbers around 500, them an the muslims have put aside their differences ,getting along together as it should be in this world.
it doesnt take bombs an death to change the middle east . it takes love.

Permalink for this post by bigbaldkid || 0 comments || e-mail to a friend:

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/23/2005 11:41:00 PM :

File under WTF?

From an AP newswire story:
"LOS ANGELES - Authorities shot and killed a male tiger Wednesday that had been roaming the hills near the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. The 425-pound cat was shot several hundred yards from soccer and baseball fields at the edge of a housing development, said Lorna Bernard, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Fish and Game."
How long before all the local Columbus news channels go back and revive that "is there a lion on the loose in Gahanna?" story? I say tomorrow starting at noon.

Posted by Dara on 2/23/2005 09:10:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 114

If you remember last week, I posted a snippet from Don Simpson's blog where he made the statement that "comics ain't art." He posted a reply to our reactions to his essay in the comments section of that post, which I'm reproducing below in interest of continuing the discussion:
"DON SIMPSON: I am not arguing that the entire comics medium is "meant" for only a particular age range. I am arguing that most comic books today are of interest only to a particular age range (superheroes for roughly ages 10-15, "art comics" roughly for 17-22). Quibble about those numbers if you like, but the fact is there is very little material in comics form that is of interest to an adult.

Recognizing that the overwhelming majority of adults ignore comics as a serious art form, and that thirty years of the "art comics" movement has done little to change their mind, is a reality we need to confront if we hope to change that reality. I am not concluding that comics are therefore doomed to being only "toss-away garbage."

We need to understand what adults are getting from all those museums, novels, plays, films and other forms of art and culture -- and not from comics -- if we hope to rise above the perception of comics as "toss-away garbage."
Ok, I do want to quibble about the age range numbers Don mentions in regards to "art comics" (I think the material skews much older than young twentysomethings,) but let's not go there.

I'm pleased to hear that he doesn't consider all comics as a wasteland of prepubescent power fantasies. I'm also a big proponent of studying the nature of the business and the history of comics - and its competitors - properly in order to find ways of growing our medium. However, I don't know if the answer is to look at other forms of "art" as mentioned by Don (museums, plays, films) to see what they have that comics don't. All media have intrinsic qualities (or flaws) that make them appealing (or unattractive) to a certain portion of the population. I don't think we can say "what are adults getting out of plays that they don't get pout of comics?" in order to raise the profile of comics, any more than museum curators could look at films to see how they can boost their museum's attendance figures. Different media, different aesthetics, different social baggage.

Which, unfortunately, is where I think comics have a problem. They've been saddled for so long with this baggage that they're "juvenile entertainment" that it's hard for the adult stuff to get noticed, or taken seriously. But the solution, I would venture to say, is to keep at it. Keep creating and promoting the "myth-buster" books. The books that get respect. The books that break people's preconceived notions of comics. The From Hells, Persepolises, and Ghost Worlds. And once the product is there, the next big step is to make it available outside our direct market system. Bookstores. Coffee shops. Book clubs. Catalogs.

It's not going to be an overnight change. And realistically, comics may never grow that far beyond the small niche audience that they currently enjoy. New forms of entertainment supplant older ones all the time. There's no market for radio plays anymore, no matter how good the material might be. So yes, in that regard I'm willing to concede that despite our best efforts, it may be too late, or too difficult, to change people's perception of comics and their potential for creating true art or literature. But at the same time, I don't think the "art comics" of the past have been for naught. If nothing else, they've kept the dialogue going and the discussion alive. So for every 10 newspaper reviews that slam the Elektra movie as a piece of storytelling crap based on a silly comic book, there's at least enough "art comics" material out there for another article to say "ah, yes, but have you checked out these other reads?"

Posted by Dara on 2/23/2005 02:57:00 PM :

Music fonts

A little treat for all you letterers out there: RockRage Music Band Fonts. Rock on!

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/22/2005 11:54:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 112

Tony and I (and another friend of mine, coincidentally also named Tony) went down to the Scarlet & Gray Tavern to catch some amateur stand up comedy at their open mic night. If you remember from one of the comments sections below, all three of us are contemplating trying out hands at it. I had been to one of the open mic nights at the Funny Bone a while ago, back when they were still doing them. And I have to say, there was quite a difference in tone and atmosphere between the two.

For one thing, the Funny Bone was always packed with people, and they seemed appreciative for the most part, even with the poorer sets. But this place...well, for starters, it's on campus. So right there, it's a whole different audience. Or lack thereof. By the time the first comedian went up on stage, there were roughly a dozen people there. Half of them were the other comedians waiting their turn. And all of these guys knew each other, so the sets were a weird mixture of in jokes between the comedy fraternity, "trying out a new joke I wrote on the way here," and self-deprecating humor. I got this whole weird incestuous vibe from the whole thing. To be sure, there were some really funny jokes there, plus several more diamonds in the rough. I don't know...it was like being back in high school, with that hodge podge of cliques, blossoming talent, petty rivalries, and the promise of greater things to come.

By the time the last comedian came off the stage, the crowd had swelled to a pretty decent number (for a Tuesday night). But it was obvious that most of them were there to see the hot-chick-with-a-guitar who was to take the stage after the stand up riff raff finished. Talk about paying your dues. It's true what they say, comedy ain't pretty.

I'm still thinking about trying my hand at it. We'll see. Even though Maria used her Egyptian ethnicity in her act. Damn it, there's just not enough room in this town for two Middle Eastern comedians!

Appropriately enough, I leave you now with two number-themed jokes. One clean, one dirty. Your mileage may vary.

"What did the zero say to the eight?"
"Nice belt." (courtesy of Pete down at Cafe Corner.)

"What does Michael Jackson like about 27 year olds?"
"The fact that there's twenty of them." (courtesy of Tony Goins, as overheard from another stand-up)

Posted by Dara on 2/22/2005 12:57:00 PM :

Comics reviewed in Alive

Columbus' free alt/indy newspaper, Alive, has been doing more and more comic reviews. Kudos to J. Caleb Mozzocco for finally convincing his editors that comics do indeed warrant more mainstream coverage.

You can check out last week's half page column here, which looks at such diverse material as Marvel's Young Avengers and Runaways, Slave Labor's A Bag of Anteaters, and John Porcellino's self-published Diary of a Mosquieto Abatement Man.

Posted by Dara on 2/22/2005 10:48:00 AM :

15 Ways to Make Comics Better

Over at his Comic Book Galaxy blog, Alan David Doane has posted a great list entitled 15 Ways to Make Comics Better. I don't agree with all his points, but I do agree with a majority of them. Especially the portions pertaining to readers and publishers. Here's a sampling:
3. Publishers: Allow corporate-owned characters who have become creatively bankrupt through mis-handling to lay fallow for a few years. There's no reason at all why Green Lantern, Iron Man, Thor, or most other second-tier characters must be published month-in and month-out. Wait until a creator or creators have solid, original ideas with which to stage a true revival rather than a lame renumbering.

10. Creators: At all stages of the creative process, seek out the opinions and evaluations of people whose tastes and critical faculties you trust implicitly. Ask them to be brutally honest in judging your work, and accept that there is at least a grain of truth in everything they tell you, and likely a lot more than a grain.

11. Readers: Do not continue to buy and support comics that do anything less than dazzle you with their ingenuity, their quality storytelling, and their elegance of purpose and design. The only reason any publisher can continue to produce bad comics is because people buy them. Just stop.

Posted by Dara on 2/22/2005 08:40:00 AM :

Another earthquake hits Iran

"SARBAGH, Iran - A powerful earthquake toppled mud-built homes and flattened villages in central Iran on Tuesday, killing at least 270 people and injuring 950, officials and state-run television said. A senior official said the death toll could top 350."
Despite the tragedy, the quake wasn't as strong as the magnitude 6.6 quake that hit in 2003, destroying the ancient city of Bam and killing 26,000 people. Still, if you are able to donate to international relief agencies, it would go towards helping the survivors rebuild their homes and lives.

I recommend Relief International, the International Committee of the Red Cross, and Mercy Corps.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/21/2005 09:21:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 111

You know what I find funny? This headline: "Bush Takes Charm Campaign to NATO, EU".

Bush.

Charm.

EU.

Yeah, I know he was able to charm a whole bunch of bible-thumpers and conservatives over here, but I really don't see his "down home, good ol' country boy" shtick working in Europe. You know, especially since his entire first term was the political equivanet of kicking them in the nads while calling them frogs and krauts.

Then again, I could be wrong. Hell, he managed to get elected president twice. If that's not a sign of some sort of deal with Satan, I don't know what is.

Posted by Tony on 2/21/2005 02:03:00 PM :

here's to you, Hunter S.

At his best, he was brilliant. At his worst, he was a self-parody. But he was never boring.

Hunter S. Thompson shot himself over the weekend. I can’t imagine why he’d do it now, after all the stuff he’s lived through already. But this was a guy who acted as a kind of Geiger counter for all the crazy in the world, and I can see where 67 years of that would be a little too much.

I’ve read two of the Good Doctor’s books, “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” and “Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail.” They’re both excellent books, and they illustrate an essential truth about the American mind: Although we think our actions are perfectly logical, many of us are in fact crazy as shithouse rats.

Thompson’s influence on my writing is mostly indirect. He was a major figure in what was known in the 1960s as “New Journalism,” a very participatory, observational form of writing. I myself fall more into the Joan Didion/fade-into-the-background school, rather than Thompson’s method of becoming a part of the story. It can be used as a cheat, and it only works if you are yourself a tremendously fascinating character.

Thompson is indirectly responsible for getting me back into comic books in 1998, mostly because he served as an inspiration for Warren Ellis’ “Transmetropolitan.” Thompson has also left me with the vague sense that I should have done more drugs.

And of course, Hunter S. Thompson gave me my favorite quote about journalism:

“Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits - a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage.”

Here’s to you, Hunter S. I’m glad we got to know you.

Posted by Dara on 2/21/2005 11:16:00 AM :

All Star covers

Presented for your curiosity, the covers to All Star Superman (by Frank Quietly) and All Star Batman & Robin (by Jim Lee). Bigger versions available here. Even though I'm not a big Superman fan, I love the Quietly cover with Superman sitting on a cloud, observing the sunrise. I think it captures the awe and wonder of the character that's often overlooked in favor of cheap slugfests and superpower exhibitionism.

Posted by Dara on 2/21/2005 10:26:00 AM :

RIP, Hunter S. Thompson

"Hunter S. Thompson, the counterculture writer credited with creating a new form of journalism in books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," was found dead Sunday from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound in his Aspen- area home, authorities said."

Posted by Dara on 2/21/2005 09:49:00 AM :

Why I like working with Tom Williams, part deux

More character sketches for my "Skin Deep" story...

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/20/2005 05:59:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 110

Ok, I have to admit that I just don't understand dog shows.

While flipping through the stations, I just came across the highlights from the Westminster Dog Show on NBC Sports. (The fact that a dog show is considered a "sport" is an entirely different topic, not fit for discussion. And this coming from a guy who couldn't care less about watching sports on TV.) Anyway, I just don't get it. They bring out some dog, and the crowd goes absolutely wild. They pick a winner out of a bunch, and they go even more crazy. And I don't mean "loud applause" crazy. I mean "ape-shit" crazy. "Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show, I'm gonna scream till I spontaneously faint and lose my virginity" crazy. "Just saw the resurrected Christ bring peace to the entire world" crazy.

"I'm a coke dealer and I just found out George Bush is rolling through town looking to party" crazy. That's the level of intensity.

They're just friggin' dogs, people. Am I missing something?

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/19/2005 10:18:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 109

I picked up the first issue of the new Black Panther monthly from Marvel. Couple of quick thoughs to share on it, neither of which is particularly insightful, though I feel they still warrant mentioning:

Point the first: This whole "decompressed" storytelling has got to stop. Seriously. Now, I'm not opposed to storytelling diversity and esthetics and "cinematic" comics. But most writers don't use decompression to complement their intended theme or subject matter. They just write that way because a) it's what Marvel expects, b) they're "writing for the trade" (I suppose this is redundant, given point a), or c) they're lazy. Enough, already. Let's make comics that take more than 3 minutes to breeze through.

Point the second: editors don't seem to do any editing anymore. As a writer myself, I'll be the first to decry draconian editorial practices where entire sections are changed and rewritten for no discernable reason. On the other hand, the editor is there as more than just a babysitter or secretary. If, for instance, writer Reginald Hudlin turns in his script in which 5th century African soldiers are using 21st centurt slang such as "stay cool, stay cool" or "kiss my butt", then the editor should get the red pen out and say "I don't think so".

Posted by Dara on 2/19/2005 11:24:00 AM :

Unofficial OHOTMU

Can't find your ragged copies of The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe? Fear not, this website has all that info available for free. And it's just a click away.
"Zzzax is an "electromagnetic intelligence," a psionically-charged electromagnetic field which has a humanoid form and which is capable of crude human level intelligence and superhuman strength. Zzzax generally appears as a gargantuan mass of electrical "sparks" in humanoid form. It is highly luminescent, whitish-yellow in color, and gives off the smell of ozone. Zzzax can hover or fly in the air. First Appearance: INCREDIBLE HULK #166"

Friday, February 18, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/18/2005 11:36:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 108

The following is a public service announcement for people (especially creators) who feel complelled to explain that the reason they get so many people pissed off at them is because they're a "no nonsense straight-shooter". You know the type I'm talking about. "I don't play the game," they say. "I call 'em as I see 'em, I'm honest and don't take no bullshit. That's why some people get mad at me, because they can't take the truth that I'm dishing out."

Well, you know what? I don't buy it. In fact, I'd say 95% of the time, what you really are is:

a) an insensitive jerk
b) an opinionated asshole
c) an ignorant loudmouth

Take your pick, asshat. The people who are really honest with their opinions? The ones who don't use hypocritical politician speak? They're usually the strong, silent types. They make their point without being confrontational, they don't grandstand, and they don't feel the need to offer their opinion every single minute of every single hour on every last little topic. And most of all, they don't have to constantly defend the fact that they're pissing people off. So shut the hell up, already.

Thank you. We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog.

Posted by Dara on 2/18/2005 10:33:00 AM :

Couldn't have said it better myself

Dorin over at (postmodernbarney) has written a great essay about why Marvel (i.e. "The House of Ideas") is currently in such a state of creative bankruptcy.
"You see, I'm sure that Marvel thinks that by killing the most prominent gay character in the Marvel Universe that they've actually done something shocking and worthy of comment, but the fact of the matter is that all they've really managed to do is demonstrate how creatively bankrupt they are. Marvel is now in some sort of strange perpetual hype mode. And the problem with that is eventually you have to pay off, or the audience gets tired of seeing nothing but a big tease. But the resolution can never live up to the hype, because it has been so built up by the teases and the promotion. Fans expect some huge event as the resolution, but the very nature of super-hero comics means that nothing too drastic an alteration to the status quo can ever be permitted to happen. So, in order to communicate just how bad and scary Wolverine would be if he were evil, he has to kill some super-heroes. Only there's no way that he can be permitted to kill off any major characters. So he offs a D-List character from a failed Spider-Man spin-off and Northstar, a marginally popular character but not one that any other writers had any plans for. The end result is, if Wolverine was evil, the Marvel Universe would have a lot less deadwood characters lying around."

Posted by Tony on 2/18/2005 09:46:00 AM :

Komedy Kwestions Answered (with a "k.")

This from the myspace.com Columbus Comedy group ... The old stand-up night has moved from Larry's to Scarlet & Gray, also on the OSU campus. Performances start at 9:30 p.m., show up an hour early to sign up.

Dara, I haven't forgotten our "suicide pact."

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/17/2005 11:32:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 108

Another mindless action flick at the el cheapo theater. This time: Elektra. Or as I like to refer to it, the creepiest lesbian kiss accompanied by the slowest friggin' action movie in the history of ever! Starring Jennifer "camel lips, dumbo ears" Garner. Oh, and did I mention her fivehead? Sorry guys, it's not that she's unattractive, but my god, she definitely doesn't live up to all her hype.

As for the movie itself. Meh. Elektra can see into the future, the girl she's trying to protect is so god damn annoying I actually wanted the bad guys to succeed, and there's no explanation of why she's "the prize", what makes her so special, etc. And what a waste of a cool characters like Stick and Typhoid Mary. Oops, sorry. In this movie she's just Typhoid. Ten years ago, this would have been a halfway decent made-for-TV movie. But I can't believe they thought it was going to be a theater hit.

And apparently Goran Visnjic's contract states that he must be unshaven in every role he appears in.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Posted by Tom on 2/16/2005 10:14:00 PM :

_I picked up the new DC guide to color and lettering by Todd Klein at the library today. Pretty cool book. I get asked on occasion scanning and file prep questions- this answers them. Personally I only found a few of the chapters useful. I almost vomited in my mouth when I came to the logo chapter. I'm suprised that with his innovations in lettering he bombs with masthead/ logo design. Granted DC put their stamp on this but geesh.. thank God for Dave McKean, Brian Wood and Chip Kidd. Without them DC would still be cranking out the stale book layout I've come to hate. Why does every book have to scream like a f'ing Cosmo circa 1985??? Why? Why? Why?!? Seriously. A big ass obnoxious masthead that shoots lazer beams on a cover is not the answer to every book. A good deal of comic shops I've been in don't have spinner racks or displays that cover up everything but the title.

_Other than that the section on coloring is good for anybody starting out or can afford color printing. Tips for Photoshop, Illustrator and the font creator programs are pretty keen. He does guide the reader to embrace the DC pallette. (Yes I know, it's the 'DC Guide') Walking thru the color trends in coloring. He also goes thru color theory as applied to storytelling. Go pick it up at the library. I wouldn't buy it namely because as always with software- a couple of years and it all changes.

Posted by Dara on 2/16/2005 10:11:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 107

Sorry, no musings tonight. You know how I generally like my day job and the company I work for? Well, not these last couple of days. Especially today. (personal stuff edited out) So other than typing up a string of expletives, I'm just gonna go read a comic, calm down a bit, and try to catch some sleep.

Posted by Dara on 2/16/2005 09:57:00 PM :

Why I like working with Tom Williams

I mean, other than the fact that he's a talented, kick-ass artist. He's a smart ass, too:

The original character design for Rick, from the "Skin Deep" story I serialized the last several days. I've since decided to redesign Rick a bit, but this still cracks me up.

Posted by Tony on 2/16/2005 02:40:00 PM :

Grab a shovel

Just when I think the GOP can't go any lower, they just keep digging.

We found out a few weeks ago the administration was paying columnists to shill for its policies. This comes after we find out Rush is addicted to painkillers, O'Reilly is pressuring his subordinates for loofah sex and Drudge generally lies his @$$ off.

Then, more recently, comes the news the admin let a fake reporter into its news conferences to ask softball questions. He called himself "Jeff Gannon" and he worked for a right-wing outfit called "Talon News."

Now we find out he's probably also a gay escort.

It's just what we've come to expect from the party of family values. Unbe-frigging-lievable.

Posted by Tony on 2/16/2005 02:39:00 PM :

Constantine -- not too bad

I saw a preview of Constantine last week. Not bad at all. They kept a lot of the flavor of the original character, and I didn't really mind the changes.

Constantine had a lot of "lovable prick" moments, and there were some truly funny bits. The supporting cast was suitably wierd and seedy. Something else they did right was give a good sense of what "damnation" really means. You can get some really solid horror by just taking regular Christian mythology (which most of us say say we believe in) and treating it as real.

They did change his origins and powers to make him a bit more of a do-gooder, though. And they introduced some touches like the crucifix/shotgun to make him a little more super-hero-ish. I found that odd. If you're trying to appeal to a mass audience, you should really try to tone down the superhero aspects.

Keanu does a workmanlike job delivering the dialogue but I didn't think he adds much to the character. He can brood, but he can't pull off roguish charm. Ron Perlman emotes better through five inches of latex.

If you're not completely outraged that they're pronouncing it "constan-teen," you'll probably enjoy it. And yeah, it was great to see the big DC/Vertigo logo in the opening titles.

Posted by Dara on 2/16/2005 10:54:00 AM :

Batman Begins

Want an early look at the costumes and characters (like The Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul) from the new Batman Begins movie? Check out the DC Direct toys and collectibles.

Posted by Dara on 2/16/2005 10:00:00 AM :

Every single MAD cover...ever!

Check out Doug Gilford's MAD cover site. He's scanned in all the covers for MAD magazine, from 1952 to present. Quite impressive, and a lot of nostalgic fun.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/15/2005 10:26:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 106

The only "sitcom" I watch anymore is Scrubs. I know some people find its particular brand of humor silly or annoying, but it's the only show that makes me laugh out loud. That, and the fact that it eschews the ubiquitous sitcom "laugh track". (By the way, I just met my 5-star vocabulary word usage quota with that last sentence alone.) But tonight's episode proved why it's such a clever and well written show. For about half the episode, they pretended to be a standard sitcom, complete with laugh track, cliched jokes, groan-inducing stock characters and plotlines, and all the other crap that gives TV comedies the bad rap they so richly deserve. And despite the parody (or maybe because of it,) it was still laugh out loud funny. Oh, did I mention the (ironic) guest star role by Clay Aiken?

Brilliant.

Posted by Dara on 2/15/2005 11:12:00 AM :

Let this be a warning to you kids

Never, ever forget the dark days of comics, circa 1992. Exhibit A: Conan the Barbarian cover, Rob Liefeld stylee. Actual art by Liefeld clone, Mark Pacella.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/14/2005 10:12:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 105

Ok, here it is. The conclusion of "Skin Deep". By the way, I'm not too crazy about that working title. It's very descriptive and sounds cool, but it's been used a million times in relation to tattoo stories. Any suggestions for an alternate title would be appreciated.

Page 5

Suggested Panel layout: 2x2x3

Panel 1: Exterior shot of the restaurant as Rick and Larry exit.

Larry: What the hell, man? She was about to flash us her --

Rick: Dude, enough. That was just a bit…weird. I mean, what kind of person drops trou in a restaurant to show a couple of complete strangers her new tattoo?

Larry: Off the top of my head, I’d have to say an exhibitionist.

Panel 2: Shot of them walking down the street, conversing.

Larry: Make that a nympho exhibitionist.

Rick: Man, that wife of yours must have you whipped. You need to get out of the house more often, dude.

Larry: Actually, my problem is I’ve been away from home too long. I really miss the missus, if you know what I mean.

Panel 3: Rick has suddenly stopped in front of a familiar storefront: Asylum Tattoos. He’s looking at the door, contemplating. Larry has just noticed this.

Larry: You young turks like to make fun of us married guys, but let me tell you, there are some definite benefits to --

Panel 4: Larry starts up his familiar pitch again, Rick is still contemplating silently.

Larry: Well, will you look at that. So, youngblood, what do you say?

Panel 5: Still an exterior shot. Rick suddenly opens the door and enters the shop, Larry is caught mid-pitch.

Larry: Pick out any design you like, I’ll --

Larry: Huh?!

Panel 6: Silent panel. A shot of a dumbfounded Larry standing alone outside the shop.

Panel 7: Now Larry opens the door rather excitedly to join his friend inside.

Larry: Oh, hell yes!

END.

Posted by Dara on 2/14/2005 02:18:00 PM :

Roger Wood

While we're on the subject of found object art, drop on by Klockwerks. Artist Roger Wood created gorgeous, funky timepieces out of found objects. Plus they're practical. I love this guy's work.

(another link ganked from boingboing)

Posted by Dara on 2/14/2005 02:14:00 PM :

Gina Kamentsky

Check out these awesome kinetic scuptures created out of found objects by artist Gina Kamentsky. There are little videos of each one in action.

(via boingboing)

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/13/2005 10:27:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 104

Ok, back on track to finish "Skin Deep". Only 1 page left after this one...

Page 4

Suggested Panel layout: 2x2x2

Panel 1: Smaller panel. Close up on Kathy’s tattoo. It’s a sun and moon design, about 2 inches in diameter. Located on the lower left side of her abdomen, below her waist line. Her hand is actually pulling down the corner of her thongs to show the full image (references: http://www.troytalmadge.com/TroyCelestial4.gif or http://www.eskimo.com/~lsstrout/images/barbeejuly04/Shindig002.jpg)

Kathy: I got it about a week ago, so it’s still a bit sore.

Panel 2: Bigger panel, all 3 sitting at the booth. Larry is quite pleased with this turn of events. Rick looks a bit shell shocked and just trying to make conversation.

Rick: Wow, that’s…pretty cool. So, uh, where did you have it done?

Kathy: Asylum. It’s the only place I trust to get ink done.

Larry: Oh yeah, we pass by that place all the time.

Panel 3: Shot of Larry, clearly enjoying the happenings.

Larry: I keep telling Rick he needs to go in and check it out. I’ve got a standing offer to pay for his tattoo.

Larry: So I take it you’ve got other tattoos from that place?

Panel 4: Back to Kathy and Rick. She’s still and bubbly and excited, starting to unbutton her blouse. He looks a bit uncomfortable..

Kathy: Oh yeah. They do really solid work. Check out the lines on this wicked dragon I got last year --

Rick: Uh, that’s ok. I trust you. I’ll have to check them out sometime.

Panel 5: Another shot of all 3, as Rick tries to make an excuse to leave and Larry tries to dissuade him.

Rick: Well, I don’t mean to be rude, but we really have get going.

Larry: Actually --

Rick: Yeah, we’ve got another long day of meetings tomorrow. But thanks again.

Kathy: Hey, no problem.

Panel 6: Shot of Kathy and Rick. She has stood up and is shaking Rick’s hand.

Kathy: Well, it was nice meeting you. Be sure to drop by when you get your tat, I’d love to see it.

Rick: Will do. And nice meeting you too.

Posted by Tony on 2/13/2005 01:54:00 PM :

RIP Charlotte

Charlotte, of course, was the name of my trust Micron 1mm. She gave her all in the service of comix on Saturday.

But like the spider from whom she gets her name, Charlotte leaves a legacy. I bought three more just like her yesterday at Michael's.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/12/2005 10:20:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 103

(post dated on Sunday)

Sorry, Saturday turned out to be a busy day and I didn't get a chance to post the next page of the script. On the plus side, it's been a good weekend for my brother. After many, many, many months of sending out cover letters and resumes and e-mails, he has finally landed a job. So congrats to him. In addition, Friday was his birthday, and Saturday was the birthday bash, complete with friends, food, beer, and fun. A bunch of us ended up at Sawmill Lanes at the end of the night and bowled from 11:30 till 2. (aside: I suck at that damn game, my personal best for the night was when I managed to break 100 on one of my games) And we won a free pizza while at the lanes. A birthday, a new job, a night out with friends, and a free pizza. Does it get any better than that?

I think not, my friends. I think not.

Friday, February 11, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/11/2005 08:19:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 102

...and the "Skin Deep" script locomotive keeps a' rollin'...

Page 3

Suggested Panel layout: 2x2x2

Panel 1: Ok, in this shot Rick’s tuned back to face us, and now we see Kathy’s face visible just over his shoulder as she turns around to see what’s going on. She’s got a smile on her face. Rick knows what’s coming next, and his expression shows it.

Kathy: Hey guys, did you say something?

Rick: Oh crap. Larry, don’t you dare!

Panel 2: Larger panel. Larry is enthusiastically bringing Kathy up to date on their little game, while Rick has his head in his hands in disbelief. Kathy is leaning over the booth, cleavage and all. (I know this may not work with all 3 characters in the shot…I was thinking maybe a side shot, but use your best judgment.)

Larry: Sorry to bother you, but I couldn’t help overhear your conversation. See, my friend here was thinking about getting a tattoo as well.

Kathy: Really? Right on!

Larry: Yeah, and he had some questions about the whole thing.

Panel 3: Kathy walks over to our guys’ booth, standing next to Rick.

Kathy: Hey, no problem. I was just going over the night’s receipts. I’m the manager here.

Rick: Oh…um, cool.

Panel 4: Smaller panel. She now pushes her way next to Rick, sitting right up against him, a big smile on her face. He’s got a “deer in the headlights” look on his face.

Kathy: Kathy, nice to meet you.

Rick: Rick. Uh, hi. And he’s Larry.

Kathy: Glad you guys dropped in. How was everything?

Rick: Uh...great. We love the food here.

Panel 5: Pull in tighter on the two of them, her cleavage front and center, and Rick trying not to just stare right down at it.

Kathy: So, you wanna see it?

Rick: Excuse me?

Kathy: My tattoo.

Rick: Well, I --

Panel 6: Smaller panel, or maybe inset into previous panel. A close up of her crotch as she begins to unzip her jeans. We can’t see anything yet, though.

SFX: ZZZZIP

Posted by Dara on 2/11/2005 04:42:00 PM :

Good ol' DC comics

Superman is a dick.

Seriously, he is. Just check out those covers.

Posted by Dara on 2/11/2005 03:15:00 PM :

Your political moment of the day

Courtesy of Jeff Danziger, Los Angeles Times Syndicate.

And Steve Benson, United Media

Posted by Dara on 2/11/2005 01:43:00 PM :

Comics are not art

Just discovered Don Simpson's blog (via postmodernbarney), and came across this posting, wherein Don argues that comics are indeed not "art", but that there's nothing wrong with what they are.
"My friends, comics ain’t art. What they are is reading material for adolescents – or older, emotionally stunted subliterates, if you like. They are the lowest form of written communication: soft-core pornography, junk -- a filthy, shameful garage habit of youth. They are something one outgrows – or is supposed to outgrow -- before moving on to adult forms of art. Or at least, to adult life. Why is this so difficult to accept?

It is time for American comics to drop its pretensions to art. 35 years of wishing and whining has only yielded arty curiosities for art school dropouts and superhero universes too complex for a kid to roll up and fit in his back pocket anymore. American comics used to be made by self-aware grown ups who could access their "inner children" but didn’t take themselves so doggone seriously..."
Can't say that I agree. Ok, maybe with the point about us not taking ourselves so seriously, especially when producing stuff like X-Force or whatever. But in the larger picture, comics are indeed art.

Certainly, not all comics. Not even most comics. But you can't dismiss the medium as a whole as being unqualified. It's the same with film. Yes, their first purpose is to entertain, and as such, they can do so without being considered art. But that doesn't mean that there can't be films that are a work of art as well.

And that bullshit about comics being "something one outgrows – or is supposed to outgrow -- before moving on to adult forms of art."? Excuse me? Why is that? Why are we supposed to outgrow comics? That's as asinine as saying "books are something one is supposed to outgrow once past a certain reading age..." Now if the argument was that one is supposed to outgrow Spider-man stories meant for an adolescent, instead of the medium changing Spider-man to be more dark and gritty and "adult" to appeal to the growing (age-wise) readership, then I could agree. But there's no way you can make an argument that an entire medium is only meant for a certain age range. You can't do it with music, you can't do it with film, with animation, with books, etc. And you can't do it with comics.

Posted by Dara on 2/11/2005 01:18:00 PM :

Are you bad enough?

In Pulp Fiction, the character Jules Winnfield carries a wallet that says Bad Motherf*****. So someone decided to see who else is qualified to carry the Bad Muthaf*** Wallet? It's quite a diverse list, from Inigo Montoya, to Hemingway, to Herbie the Love Bug. Funny stuff.

(via Progressive Ruin)

Posted by Dara on 2/11/2005 10:45:00 AM :

100 Things I Love About Comics

By Alan David Doane. (warning: 2+ MB graphic, dial-up users beware) Love the Rob Liefeld entry.

(via Thought Balloons)

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/10/2005 10:33:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 101

Continuing on with the script to "Skin Deep"...

Page 2

Suggested Panel layout: 2x2x2

Panel 1: The two argue amicably outside the tattoo parlor. Larry keeps needling his coworker, who despite his protests actually enjoys this little business trip ritual of theirs.

Larry: Pick out any design you like, I’ll pay for it.

Rick: You do this every time we’re here. For the last time, I’m not getting a tattoo. Especially not on a business trip.

Larry: Why not? C’mon, live a little. Life isn’t all interoperability standards and billable hours, you know.

Panel 2: Bigger panel. Rick turns and walks away, Larry closely behind.

Rick: What, so now Mr. SITCOM is preaching to me about living life to the fullest?

Larry: Sitcom?

Rick: Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage.

Larry: Ha ha, smart ass. Hey, maybe I just want to live vicariously through you.

Panel 3: The two of them reach their intended destination, a quaint little brewpub/restaurant called The Mash.

Rick: Sorry, Larry. No deal. Settle for a steak and some fine microbrews instead?

Larry: Are you kidding me? The wife’s got me on some damn rabbit food diet back home. What do you think?

Rick: Good, I’m starving.

Panel 4: Interior of the restaurant as the two slide into a booth..

Rick: I gotta say, this place is my favorite part of these trips.

Larry: Amen to that. And may god bless whoever invented the expense account.

Panel 5: Ok, it’s a short while, and many beers, later. The table if full of empty beer mugs, and half-eaten plates of food. Rick seems more relaxed and is in the middle of a long speech when he realizes that Larry isn’t really listening to him. Instead, he seems to be staring past him, at someone in the next booth (behind Rick’s shoulder).

Caption: Later...

Rick: ...love the techie aspect of it, I just hate dealing with these stupid customers. Just because they control the checkbook doesn’t mean they can --

Rick: -- uh, Earth to Larry? Dude, you’re not even listening to me.

Panel 6: Larry is still staring, as Rick turns around to look over his shoulder. We still don’t see who it is that Larry’s looking at. (I know this is probably a hard thing to draw, given the logistics of two people sitting in a booth. We can discuss other options if you have a better idea.)

Rick: What?

Larry: That woman behind you is talking about her tattoo...

Posted by Tom on 2/10/2005 02:50:00 PM :

Dayton Indie love pt.2...

The Bookery in Dayton, Ohio will be having another indie show on Saturday the 19th. *Mostly people involved in Ape's Point Pleasant will be on hand. Fellow Panelist Steve Black will be there as will I - selling my stuff (including copies of No Dead Time, Misa,etc. I've got buttons. oooooooooh ya! ). It's on byotch.

The event runs from noon to 4pm.

*As Chad has reminded me, yes I have done a couple of small things for APE ( Point's logo)

Posted by Dara on 2/10/2005 01:06:00 PM :

How much for a novel?

Ever wonder how muchg first time sci-fi authors get for their first novel? Well, so did Tobias Buckell, who's a first timer himself. So he "surveyed about 75 science fiction and fantasy writers to find out what their first-novel advances had been and how much they're getting these days." Results here, with plenty more statistics and analysis.
"The typical advance for a first novel is $5000. The typical advance for later novels, after a typical number of 5-7 years and 5-7 books is $12,500. Having an agent at any point increases your advance."
(vis boingboing)

Posted by Dara on 2/10/2005 10:05:00 AM :

347 year old tree pulled down

The oldest tree on the grounds of the palace of Versailles was pulled down yesterday after it had died.
"Measuring 35 metres (115 feet) high and 5.5 metres (18 feet) in circumference, the tree died of dehydration in the heatwave of 2003 after being deprived of surrounding cover in the devastating storms of December 1999."
I don't know why this story struck a cord with me, but it did. I mean, trees are cut down by the thousands for logging every day, many much older than this one. Still, there's a part of me that thinks there's a story waiting to be told in there somewhere.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/09/2005 10:39:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 100

Well, here we are. In the triple digits, almost 1/3 of the way through my self-challenge of posting an original thought/essay/musing every day on the blog, for a full year. And to celebrate, I thought I'd try something new. I'm currently writing a short 5-page comic book script, so I'll post it here as I finish each page. A bit of background: this is for that slice-of-life webcomic project I hinted at a short while ago. I'm planning on doing different vignetees with different artists. This one is tentatively titled "Skin Deep" and my partner in crime on it is going to be Oni golden boy, Tom Williams. As always, C&C is welcomed.

"Skin Deep", by Dara Naraghi

Characters:

Larry – middle-aged computer consultant, balding, glasses, a bit portly. Average looking, typical geeky tech guy hitting his late forties. Wearing a suit, though kinda disheveled; not exactly a fashion magnet. Carrying an old fashioned briefcase.

Rick – computer consultant, early twenties, good shape, handsome, but not too trendy. Also wearing a suit, but his is crisp and sharp. Carrying a messenger bag.

Kathy – restaurant manager. Very beautiful, late thirties, with a great body. She’s wearing tight jeans, and a tight blouse showing lots of cleavage and a belly button ring. She has a tattoo right above her crotch, off to the side, which will initially be covered by her jeans.

Setting:

Downtown Portland, Maine. Not sure if I’ll actually mention it in the story, but if you’d feel more comfortable having a “real” location, feel free to look up references. We’ll need outside shots of a nice tattoo parlor, and a funky little brewpub. Story will take place inside the restaurant.

Page 1

The “Suggested Panel Layout” for each page is just a suggestion; how I see them in my head. Feel free to do the layouts as you see fit, I’m flexible.

Suggested Panel layout: 2x2x3

Panel 1: Exterior. Establishing shot of an old, historic brick building converted into a nice office building in downtown Portland, Maine. A sign over the revolving doors identifies it as ML Technologies. The sign is pretty modern, in contrast to the historic building.

Rick (OP, from inside building): This is bullshit.

Panel 2: Pull in on the revolving door as Rick exits, all fired up and ranting about his day.

Rick: I told them six months ago at project kick off that we should support Mozilla, we can’t just develop for the IE browser. But did they listen? Hell no!

Panel 3: Same shot, now showing Larry exiting. He’s disheveled, but looks more resigned to their situation. He’s been there, done that, and doesn’t get fired up over this stuff anymore.

Larry: Rick, let it go. It’s not worth getting upset over. Work’s work.

Panel 4: Bigger panel. They both walk down the street, talking.

Rick: Yeah, and now that they’ve changed their minds, we have a ton of reengineering to do.

Larry: So what? We’re consultants, we get paid by the hour. Way I see it, this is job security.

Panel 5: Close up on Rick, still irritated.

Rick: Damnit, Larry, it’s the principle of the matter. I mean, what’s the point of them bringing us in if they’re not going to listen to our advice?

Panel 6: Bigger panel. Rick stops and looks back over his shoulder at Larry, who has stopped in front of a tattoo parlor. It’s a small joint, but nice and somewhat “upscale”, appealing to the hipsters. Sign identifies it as Asylum Tattoos.

Rick: Larry? Oh no, not this again...

Panel 7: Close up on Larry, sporting a smart-ass grin.

Larry: So, youngblood, you up for it this time? Same deal as before.

Posted by Tony on 2/09/2005 04:00:00 PM :

professionalism

I’m working on a story on indie film making, and one of my sources is our old friend Peter John Ross.

Ross, as you may recall, was the organizer of the Look at My Shorts short film festival at the Arena Grand. Dara panned it, but Ross said he didn’t mind the criticism.

“A lot of film makers need bad press,” Ross said. “We need to hear criticism.”

Posted by Dara on 2/09/2005 03:26:00 PM :

Eric Wight and The O.C.

Speaking of the whole comic book storyline on The O.C., USA Today has an interview with Eric Wight, the artist who provides all the comic art for the episodes. Here's Eric on how he got the gig:
"I did some comic book work for the adaptation of Michael Chabon's Adventures of Kavalier and Clay...I was selling one of the pages on eBay, and the guy that bought it was Allan Heinberg, one of the producers from the show. He was a big fan of my stuff and was like, "Yeah, we had this idea to take Seth in this direction, and I think you'd be perfect to do it."

Posted by Dara on 2/09/2005 03:21:00 PM :

Isotope Awards

SAN FRANCISCO (February 9th, 2005) Acclaimed San Francisco comics retailer James Sime, proprietor of Isotope - the comic book lounge, announced today that submissions for the much-celebrated 2005 Isotope Award for Excellence in Mini-Comics will be accepted until March 15th at midnight. 'Alright mini-comic creators, it's time to fire up your printers and copy machines again,' said Sime, 'And it's time to score yourself some of the gold and the glory that is the third annual Isotope Award for Excellence in Mini-Comics!'
The official site is supposed to be here, but it looks like they haven't updated it with the current 2005 info yet.

Posted by Dara on 2/09/2005 10:46:00 AM :

Your political moment of the day

Courtesy of the ever-astute Steven Grant:
"Speaking of the Iraqi elections, they're getting pretty interesting now, and it's probably not coincidental that the American press has all but stopped talking about them. While votes are still being counted, seems (not unexpectedly to anyone with half a brain) that Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sisani's Shia Alliance have swept up well over half the vote, more than twice what our puppet Allawi's organization did. Allawi doesn't even have the #2 bloc in the country; that's the Kurds. If the vote is allowed to stand, this means the Shi'ites will be in charge of the new parliament and will elect the new leaders. Seeing as how al-Sisani advocates normalizing relations with Iran and isn't likely to support the use of Iraq as a base of operations against that country, things could get... mmm... touchy, especially given that the Pentagon announced well in advance of the elections that our army was staying for years to come regardless of who wins the election. Not to mention the likelihood of all-out civil war prompted by the Ba'athists and Sunnis who sat out the election in protest (knowing the Shia majority in the country would doubtless sweep the polls anyway). If a civil war does break out, I wonder who we'll back: a legitimately elected (if, indeed, the election was legitimate) Shi'ite government not in step with our own goals in the gulf, or Ba'athist/Sunni rebels wishing to re-suppress the Shi'ites. Or will we simply follow the Vietnam paradigm and underwrite a military coup to shove Allawi down their throats again?"

Posted by Dara on 2/09/2005 10:16:00 AM :

Tutorials for artists

GFXartist.com has a huge collection of tutotials for artists, covering such topics as 3D Modeling/Animation, Anatomy and Figure Drawing, Digital Illustration and Painting, Photoshop Effect and Tips, and more. There's even a link to a great Glenn Fabry step-by-step walkthrough of his painting process. Definitely worth a look.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/08/2005 09:53:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 99

If you'll excuse me a bit of negativity...

Presented for your contempt/scorn/dismissal/eye-roll/whatever, two specimens of yak vomit:

Cosmopolitan magazine, for naming uber-talentless hack and nepotism beneficiary Ashlee Simpson "Fun, Fearless Female" of the year. Actually, that rag is beyond contempt. It's a stain on the very fabric of our society, not to mention one of the worst things to ever happen to women. Congratulations.

Asshat sculptor Anish Kapoor and the incompetent Chicago parks public officials who allowed his "Cloud Gate" sculpture to be installed in a public park paid for with $270 million of public tax dollars, despite his ridiculously stringent copyright demands. I realize that the sculpture itself was paid for with private funds and donated by SBC, but it's installed in a friggin' public park! You know, as a centerpiece to attract tourists! With cameras! Mr. Kapoor, I know many artists, and as a writer myself, I understand the need for, and the value in, copyright laws. But they shouldn't be abused, and shouldn't be illogical and draconian. You sir, are a complete, total, and utter asshat. And as beautiful as your sculpture is, it wouldn't bother me a bit if someone melted it down into slag and replaced it with the work of an artist who actually wants to contribute to the public experience and enjoyment of art, as opposed to stifle it.

Right on, boingboing, right on. I'm with you. Here are a couple pictures I took last year of Mr. Kapoor's precious secret art installation:

Posted by Tony on 2/08/2005 04:31:00 PM :

Hey, lonely fanboys ...

If you've got the finance, she's got the romance. Maybe.

(special thanks to D. for the link.)

Posted by Dara on 2/08/2005 03:41:00 PM :

Chaykin disses Morrison, Byrne, and others

Over on his blog here , here, and here, Ian Brill disvovers some gems from Howard Chaykin interviews, circa 1988 and 1989.

Chaykin on Grant Morrison: "this guy is the most pretentious asshole I have ever read."

Chayking on the Kuberts: "And what do they do? Adam and Andy [Kubert] come in [Beaver Cleaver voice] "Hey, dad, come in and give us a hand with this!"

Chaykin on 'Mazing Man: "...looked like storyboards for a TV show I would never watch."

Chayking on John Byrne: well, just go check it out yourselves...

I love the dude's art, but man does he come across like an elitist asshole. I remember meeting him at a Motor City Con, way back around 1991 or so. He was talking about The Flash TV show, and ragging on one of the writers and how he had to completely rewrite the guy's script to make it "watchable".

Posted by Dara on 2/08/2005 01:49:00 PM :

Geeks, Gangsters, and Comic Books on NPR

This is actually an old one, but well worth a listen. From October 2004, former comic scribe Gerard Jones interviewed on Talk of the Nation about his new book, Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book. It's a long interview and gets into some interesting aspects of the history of our medium, even touching on Stan Lee's self-made myth as the creator of all the early Marvel characters. Plus call-ins from Chris "The Mont" Claremont and Devin Graysen.

Posted by Dara on 2/08/2005 01:03:00 PM :

Best webcomics of 2004

While we're on the "late" theme, how about this: The Webcomic Examiner's list of The Best Webcomics of 2004. Some truly inspired and innovative comics are on the list. One of my favorites from the list is Dead Mouse.

Monday, February 07, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/07/2005 09:54:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 98

This past Sunday, over on his All The Rage column, Blair Marnell had this to say about the soon-to-be unveiled Visa Checkcard commercial featuring Marvel superhero characters: "I think the best we can hope for is that the Marvel ad isn’t a complete embarrassment for superheroes."

I find that funny on so many levels. First of all, when has a TV ad using a superhero motif not been a complete parody of the whole genre? And despite their playing-with-the-big-dogs, mega-billion-dollar Hollywood films, these days Marvel is whoring out their characters to any licensee who throws a few bucks their way. They had friggin' Marvel character hair clippers and beard trimmers from Wahl, for crying out loud. Marvel motivational posters featuring the mass-murderer, Magneto. Puffy foam Captain America costumes. Glow-in-the-dark Hulk bowling balls. Mr. Fantastic dildos.

Ok, I made the last one up. But I wouldn't put it past them.

So anyway, the commercial did indeed suck. Cheap-ass costume, dorky voices, the work. If you missed this gem, you can watch it online here.

Posted by Tony on 2/07/2005 02:43:00 PM :

More fun with local news

A group calling itself NewsBreakers sent a guy dressed as the Grim Reaper into a NewsCenter live shot.

NewsCenter is the umbrella for Channels 6 and 28, which are managed by right-wing Sinclair Broadcasting Inc.

"I’m tight with organizations like Sinclair," the reaper said in a press release. "I try to respect their deadlines as their own."

See the video and the stills here.

Posted by Dara on 2/07/2005 01:34:00 PM :

When good superheroes go bad

The BBC is reporting that a 23 year old man was assaulted by 3 men wearing Superman, Batman, and Spider-man costumes, respectively.
"The victim was assaulted by a man dressed as Superman after a dispute over a shortage of food at a burger van at about 0030 GMT on Christmas Day."
Here's a photo of the trio, captured by closed circuit TV:

Posted by Dara on 2/07/2005 11:15:00 AM :

February contest

It's a new month, which means a new giveaway comic contest. As always, you can check out the rules by clicking on the link in the red box towards the top left of this page. This month, we're giving away the 176-page third volume of the Monkeysuit anthology, titled Viva La Monkeysuit. The deadline for entry is February 28th. Good luck!

Posted by Dara on 2/07/2005 11:00:00 AM :

January winner

Ok, I know I'm running a little late, but them's the breaks. Anyway, we have a winner for the January Ferret Press Blog Free Comics Giveaway! Congratulations to Gary Esposito for winning the Strangehaven: Arcadia TPB. To win, entrants had to write in 50 words or less about their first experience with indie comics, and why they'd like to read Strangehaven. Here's his entry:
"My first experience with "independent" comics was Sabre #1 by McGregor/Gulacy and Eclipse Comics. I was a Gulacy fan and seeing a gun-toting black man and blonde woman blew my mind back in 1978. I was 12. Strangehaven? I just wanna believe the hype on all these blogs."
A lot of people forgot to answer the second part of the question. Also, many entries went over the 50 word count limit. Yes, here at Ferret Press central, we're bastards. Gots ta follow them rules, boys and girls.

Below are the two runners-up. They came >this< close to winning, but alas, as the rules clearly state, "Our decisions are occasionally arbitrary, sometimes illogical, but most importantly, final."
"My first experience with alternative comics was writing scripts with my own characters when I was 16. I never got them published or read by anyone, but the germ was there. I want to read STRANGEHAVEN to experience what sounds like the best magical realism series in comics. --Kevin J Church"
"The first indie I was really impressed with was Carla Speed McNeil's Finder. Strangehaven looks like something I'd enjoy. If I do, I'll have it added to a future order so 40 libraries will have the opportunity to buy it. And the guy on the cover looks like Roger Waters. --Rosemarie Lewis"
Kevin runs his own excellent blog over at beaucoupkevin.com, while Rosemarie is a Branch Manager at the Palm Springs North Branch Library. Her bribe almost worked. I'd like to see more comics activism like that.

The runners-ups don't win anything, but they get to see their name in print in this here blog. Whoop dee.

Thanks for everyone who entered, be sure to check out this month's contest.

Posted by Tony on 2/07/2005 10:07:00 AM :

Art show/tsunami benefit/support my friend’s husband!

Yo -- come out to support tsunami relief (and my friend Lori’s husband Jay) at the upcoming exhibit at Gallery 3131 in Clintonville.

The opening reception runs 6-9 p.m. Friday at Gallery 3131, located (conveniently) at 3131 N. High St. Other artists include Daniel Ferlan, Robb Hare, Donny Humes, Rafael Rosado and Clinton Reno. The six artists will auction off a collaboratative piece to benefit tsunami relief efforts.

Lori also advises that Gallery 3131 is closing, and Studio 16 is moving from Victorian Village to the old Curio-A-Go-Go space at High St. and Buttles Ave. Curio-A-Go-Go is moving up the street.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/06/2005 09:24:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 97

I've been going to the same barber shop since I was 12 years old. Howard's Barber Shop, one of those old fashioned places where they still give you a straight razor shave, the barbers know all the gossip on everyone in town, and they have a huge magazine rack for their customers. And when I was younger, the best part was that they had comics. Iron Man, Superman, Jonah Hex, The Hulk, Spider-man, Secret Wars, The Outsiders, The Flash...it was a four color stash that made the 45 minute waits well worth it.

Over the years, I noticed that their supply of comics was dwindling. The last few years, it's been non-existent.

I asked Howard about it yesterday, when I went in to "get my ears lowered". He said that he just couldn't find comics anywhere. He used to buy them from the drugstore, or grocery store. But once those supplies dried out, he kinda gave up trying to find them. And then more recently, a few parents complained that some of the remaining comics on his shelves were too violent for kids. So he got rid of all of them.

For those of you who have been comic book fans for a long time, his story is nothing new. Unfortunately, that's the state of the industry right now. But there is a happy ending to this particular story. I told him that I'd drop off a supply of kid-friendly comics for him on Monday. I've got some Marvel Age books, a few Justice League Unlimited issues, Amelia Rules, Bone, Mickey Mouse, and an assortment of mainstream superhero books that I've screened for any objectionable material. I know the kids will appreciate them, as I'm sure will the parents who have to keep them occupied until their turn in the chair.

I can't wait to see the wear and tear on the comics the next time I drop in for a cut. I'm hoping to see lots of dog-eared pages and loose staples.

Posted by Andy Bennett on 2/06/2005 01:36:00 PM :

Ted McKeever's EDDY CURRENT - back in print!

Kish and I can appreciate this, and hopefully now a lot of others can as well. Atomeka is re-releasing the seminal miniseries Eddy Current in a (rolls eyes) series of "manga-sized" graphic novels.

The official press release is available here at the Pulse.

If you've never read any of McKeever's early work, I would HIGHLY recommend picking this up. Although the goofy format is not ideal, I guess we can't be picky. Support art.

Permalink for this post by Andy Bennett || 0 comments || e-mail to a friend:

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Posted by Sean McGurr on 2/05/2005 10:25:00 PM :

Funny Joke on the OC
I realize that our group probably doesn't consist of too many fans of The O.C. (I only saw it once at a relative's house), but here is a funny line from a recent episode (thanks to Entertainment Weekly for pointing it out):

"What are you guys? Like, Kavalier and gay?" Summer (Rachel Bilson) to boyfriend Zach (Michael Cassidy) and ex Seth (Adam Brody), who are writing a comic book, on The O.C.

Posted by Dara on 2/05/2005 04:31:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 96

Recognition.

When you're self-publishing comic books, it's something you hope for, but realistically don't expect. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Between my solo work, and the work with PANEL, there's been a fair amount of recognition and positive reviews directed my way. But it's always great when it hits you out of the blue.

For instance, a few days ago I began corresponding with an artist to see if he'd be interested in working with me on a short story. His initial e-mail was directed to the generic e-mail at Ferret Press, so he didn't know who I was. But after my reply, he wrote back and surprised me by saying he was familiar with my work from the pages of the Ape Omnibus anthology. It may not seem like a big deal, but I thought that was pretty damn cool. I mean, those books don't exactly have a huge circulation, plus there are about a dozen creators involved with each issue. Maybe having an unusual name helped. Still, it was great for the ego :-)

And just today, a local Columbus artist e-mailed me with some questions regarding self-publishing. The guys over at the Laughing Ogre directed him my way. How cool is that?

Of course, I'm still waiting for my big Hollywood recognition. You know, the soulless 7 figure option kind? I'd feel like a dirty sellout, but hey, with that kind of scratch I could quit the day job and just create comics.

Friday, February 04, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/04/2005 08:03:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 95

You've heard me rant about the awful dreck that passes for "local TV news" in most cities. Well, leave it to our very own Sinclair Broadcasting, which runs both our ABC and FOX local news programs, for coming up with another winner. I'm guessing we're coming up on sweeps week again, judging by the promo spots for their hard-hitting news expose: teenage breast enlargements!

Gasp! Did you know? Could your daughter be next? Apparently more and more teenage girls are getting boob jobs, and Columbus' own NewsCenter is there!

They actually used this phrase in the spot: "Must increase their bust!" WTF? You know, it was pretty funny when Uncle Rico was selling "Must Bust +" in the movie Napoleon Dynamite, but this is supposed to be a news broadcast, for fuck's sake! But it gets better. They signed off with this tag line: "Generation DD. Monday at 10 on NewsCenter"

Wouldn't you be embarrassed to be associated with a "news" program like that? I mean, seriously. What's wrong with these people?

But do you know what the saddest part is? I'm willing to bet the segment will feature some rich Upper Arlington parents who have no problem going on camera to explain why giving their 15 year old daughter a boob job for her birthday is perfectly ok.

Posted by Tony on 2/04/2005 03:43:00 PM :

RIP “Enterprise”

Ain’t It Cool News is reporting “Star Trek: Enterprise,” the Scott Bakula-helmed edition of the venerable franchise, has been cancelled.

I have mixed feelings on “Enterprise’s” passage, largely because the show was so maddeningly uneven. At its best, the show brought a much-needed infusion of cowbell to the 38-year-old Trek franchise.

The best episodes of “Enterprise” combine Trek’s hallmarks, wonder and optimism, with the energy that made the show great in the first place. It wove concepts like man’s first steps into the cosmos and the meaning of humanity alongside stirring gun battles and a little naked Vulcan yoga. But every time they forgot the sex and violence, the show stumbled.

At its worst, the show managed to take some really good ideas and make them mind-numbingly boring. Take, for example, then end of last season: The Enterprise had to race time to stop an alien race from destroying the Earth -- but the episodes dragged like a ball and chain.

Another disappointing episode had aliens infect passing species with a deadly virus, just to see how they react. Warren Ellis described this episode thusly: “They could have just put a title card up for 44 minutes which read FUCK YOU FOR WATCHING. REGARDS, THE MGMNT.”

Posted by Dara on 2/04/2005 03:19:00 PM :

Jury Rigged Comics reviewed

Sean's mini-comic gets a nice review over at the Poopsheet.
"You know how my tolerance for superhero stories is low? Well, the story I like best here is "Mentor", illustrated by Leon Briones, about a retired hero who advises an impulsive up-and-coming cape. It's low-key, and charmed even my constipated sensibilities."

Posted by Dara on 2/04/2005 02:09:00 PM :

Second hand art

"each artist was asked to find a framed piece of artwork at their local thrift store and manipulate it into a piece of their own."

This one's my favorite:

(also via boingboing)

Posted by Dara on 2/04/2005 01:56:00 PM :

Battle hearse

Take a punk guy, give him a hearse, and let him mod it into a battle cruiser with working flamethrowers. You'll have this guy.

"Some of the many fascinating things that you might find obstructing my view of the road inside of Alexi. In case you have not guessed it already, Alexi is by no means the safest vehicle on the road. Between the 5% tint on the windows, the gas masks and wires blocking my front view, the highly questionable steering, and the 35 pounds of liquid propane on the roof, I pretty much have my bases covered in the "constant rolling threat to all things living" department. The IV drip bag is real, although the blood is actually Mountain Dew and cherry pie filling."

(via boingboing)

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/03/2005 11:58:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 94

Arrrrgh, having furnace problems today. So gotta keep this entry short.

Food for thought: "Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said on Thursday he twice offered his resignation to President Bush over the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal, but both times was asked to stay in the job."

Good call, Bushy Bush. Jackass.

And more from Rumy himself: "What was going on in the midnight shift in Abu Ghraib prison halfway across the world is something that clearly someone in Washington, D.C., can't manage or deal with."

"I have no regrets," Rumsfeld said."

Sure you don't. You got to keep your job. Douchebag.

Posted by Dara on 2/03/2005 04:04:00 PM :

Street Angel contest

Oops, forgot to post this earlier. The fine folks over at Comic Book Galaxy are giving away a whole slew of Street Angel comics.
"We're giving away complete, autographed sets of Street Angel #1-5 plus the rare, original Street Angel mini-comic to Comic Book Galaxy readers -- and their comic shops! Each winner will receive Street Angel #1-5 and the original mini-comic signed by creators Jim Rugg and Brian Maruca, and an identical, signed set will go to the store where the winner buys their comics! And, one Grand Prize Winner will also receive a one-of-a-kind piece of Street Angel Original Art!, and so will their comics shop!"
And all you gots ta do is e-mail them some info about yourself and your comic shop. Deadline is Feb. 28.

Posted by Tony on 2/03/2005 04:01:00 PM :

Do you want to make more money?

Sure, we all do. Here's a little bit of love from the upcoming Bizzle Fizzle:

"A pair of former managers at Limited Brands Inc. and Too Inc. have formed a staffing agency that would link advertising agencies with creative workers.

Kristen Harris and Catherine Lang opened Portfolio Creative Staffing LLC in January to help independent designers, writers, Web developers, photographers, directors and public relations specialists land freelance work. The two are working from Harris' Westerville residence. The firm's Web site is www.portfoliostaffing.com."

Posted by Dara on 2/03/2005 02:29:00 PM :

Right on, Dorian

"I was flipping through the Frank Cho Shanna The She Devil comic and, I'm trying very hard not to see this as indicative of some of the wider problems with the American mind-set; but I find it very interesting that showing people being violently disembowled or with half their faces ripped off is a-ok, but for God's sake, whatever you do, don't let people see a naked breast." -- (postmodernbarney)

Posted by Tom on 2/03/2005 02:28:00 PM :

Go and pick up the latest issue of Time Magazine...

That's where you'll find a profile on Paul Hornschemeier. Online (see the linky) you'll find a piece featuring Paul along with other graphic novelists. His next book- The Three Paradoxes is due out in the summer from Fantagraphics. The print piece is in the February 7th copy of Time.

Posted by Dara on 2/03/2005 10:22:00 AM :

Steven Grant does it again

This week's column is another great one. I have to say, Grant is my favorite columnist out there. Even when I don't agree with a particular point of view (be it about comics, politics, business, or whatever,) I'm always drawn into his crisp arguments and engaging style. One of my favorite bits from this week's column, in regards to the role of the monthly comic in the new era of trade paperbacks and graphic novels:
"...I doubt the comics pamphlet will die out altogether, but if it's going to become an effective marketing tool, comics companies will have to start approaching it more as marketing tool than artifact. Maybe it's like color film; a friend who taught film seminars used to say that black and white film wasn't really possible until color film was introduced. At that point, black and white could stop being a stricture and start being a technique. Maybe it's the same with the comics pamphlet; maybe it wasn't really 'possible' until the graphic novel was developed..."

Posted by Tony on 2/03/2005 09:51:00 AM :

Give me one moment in Time

Congratulations to C.O. product Paul Hornschemeier, who leads off Time magazine's two-page section on comic book artists this week. It starts on page 63, and he's listed as "The Line King." I used to work with this guy -- and I think I've seen him wear that shirt before!

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/02/2005 10:58:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 93

I was helping with Hanna's "Invention Convention" project earlier this evening, and as part of her invention journal, she needed to come up with a problem and brainstorm 10 different ideas on how to solve it. Now keep in mind that she's only 6 years old, so she needs a bit of help and guidance for something like this.

Ok, so she picked the problem of the gallon milk jugs being too heavy for a kid to pour without making a mess. We're brainstorming possible inventions to solve this problem. I was trying to get her to think broadly, so I'm giving her hints to hopefully have her suggest building a robot for the task. The conversation went a little something like this:

Me: "Well, how about something that humans build to do their hard work for them? You know, you see lots of them in cartoons about the future...they're stronger than humans, and some of them are evil, but there are also some that are good?"

Hanna: "Ummm...professional wrestlers?"

I love that kid!

Posted by Tony on 2/02/2005 02:08:00 PM :

Who says Islamo-fascist terrorists don't have a sense of humor?

Intelligence analysts say this picture of a captured American soldier may actually depict an action figure.

Next, The insurrectos will paint fake tunnels on the walls or hide bombs under piles of birdseed. Bush will probably fall for it.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Posted by Dara on 2/01/2005 10:31:00 PM :

Daily Musings: Day 92

Wherein I ponder at which point a group blog becomes a solo blog where I'm the only person posting new entries. I know you guys are lurking out there. What's on your minds? Spill the beans.

And on that note, I'd like to welcome the newest contributor to this blog, Mr. Matt Kish. Yes, that Matt Kish. Artist, writer, nude Polaroid photographer, CD mix master, PANEL member, grad student, and creator of the funky Spudd 64 mini-comic. I expect great things from this kid.