Buzzfeed has a rundown of some of the top comic books of 1993, which was apparently the high-water mark for comic book sales.

The only of these books I bought were Robin No. 1, Static No. 1 and Death: The High Cost of Living No. 3.

I dropped Batman a year or so before, and The Shadow Strikes wrapped in 1992. I was never an X-fan, and I missed the Rob Liefeld arm of the Image-Verse. I remember my friend Jason had the return of Superman in art class, and I read Deathmate many years later. I went to college the next year, and my fandom went more-or-less dormant until I got into Starman and Transmetropolitan around 1998.

I notice I’m less negative about the 1990s than a lot of people are. Apparently that’s because I missed it.

static-1

I do remember Static, though. Milestone comics were a pretty exciting development for me, back in those days. “You don’t start none, there won’t be none.”

Like this post? Share it!

8 Responses to “Comics of 1993”

Oh, crap. I just remembered what else I was reading in 1993. There was a nasty little Dark Horse gem called Accident Man and *gulp* Shadowhawk. WildCATS may have come later.

• Tom Williams says:

What few comics I bought that year, half of them that were in the dorm room were stolen by the prick that directed Tangled. Oh I still remember that Greno.

What-what-what?

• Matt Kish says:

I only owned two of these…that P. Craig Russell issue of “Sandman” and “The Maxx.” Of the rest on the list, I don’t think I’ve even read any of them to this day except for “Eightball” and the Chris Ware book. It’s kind of sad and humbling to realize I’ve been a pretentious asshole for 20 years now.

“Introducing the all-new, all-daring Spider-Armor!”

Good god.

Equally sad: a little over a decade later, they did the same schtick, but with a red-and-gold Iron Man designed Spider-Armor.

Sigh.

Oh, and of the list of comics, here are the ones I bought that year:

Death: The High Cost of Living
      Sandman
      Deathmate (don’t you judge me!)
      Shade the Changing Man (probably my favorite series at the time)

In my defense, I bought Deathmate because I was buying a couple of Valiant books at the time and liked their stuff, and ended up hating pretty much the whole mini-series due to the shitty, shitty Image side of it.

The red-and-gold armor was two years ago, right? As in, 18 years after 1993. Sweet Christmas, we’re old.

My confession is that I bought “Death: The High Cost of Living” when it came out … but I didn’t care for it.