I’m few days out of Dark Knight Rises … anyone want to talk about it?
A few non-spoilery thoughts … spoilers go in the comments.
1. I was pretty blown away. There are definitely things I didn’t like about it, but I thought it was amazing. I’m still thinking through it, a few days later. I’m reading lots of reviews. I’m still engaged.
2. I was comparing it to a Russian novel, but apparently it’s more Dickens.
3. I found myself thinking of Hancock. Hancock starts out as a parody of the superhero genre, which I hate. Then it fills in its own backstory and becomes its own thing. I really liked Hancock, even if it’s not a great movie. At least it showed me something I hadn’t seen before.
4. I guess Dark Knight Rises borrows a lot from Knightfall and No Man’s Land, which I never read. I stopped reading Batman right around then.
6. These days, you can push a button and get a million Orcs out of a CGI rendering engine. So it’s kind of amazing to see just a horde of real people. It gives the piece some real solidity.
Sorry to Batman up the blog this week. No, excuse me. I don’t apologize for that at all.