Something a bit different this week: a cover.

This was submitted by PANELista Andy Bennett, so he’s recusing himself. Good luck to the rest of you guys.

Like this post? Share it!

9 Responses to “Monday Morning “Guess the Artist””

• Nate says:

Russ Heath? Seems like maybe that’s too obvious, but it looks like him to me.

The muzzle flash is making me think Jim Aparo.

• Nate says:

The more I look at it the more I think I’m wrong. The hatching isn’t quite Heath, and the water splashes and the shadow on the rock face look a bit too contemporary. I’m still not sure who it is, but I think those are the “tells.
      Great choice Bennett.

• Craig B says:

The only artist I know of that vintage who had a military background and a fetish for drawing warplanes is Herb Trimpe. Not sure he ever did anything for DC, though.

No correct guesses yet…it’s a toughie

• Craig B says:

Believe it or not, that small part of the cover where the propellor overlaps the tank jumps out at me. That plus knowing who was around DC at the time…

Simonson.

• Nate says:

I think Craig is right. The shadow has a definite Simonson quality.

• Andy Bennett says:

That tank is about the most outrageous shade of green I’ve ever seen. Not good for stealth, but great for making a cover jump off the shelf at you! What a beautiful piece of art.

Craig Bogart for the win!

Answer: This cover is by Walt Simonson. From G.I. Combat #169, DC Comics, February 1974.