Sorry for the skip weeks, I was on vacation and too lazy unable to post new artwork. But fear not, it’s a brand new year, and here’s a brand new page of artwork from a well-known comic book artist for you to try and guess.

As always, use the comments section to share your guess, and good luck.

Be Sociable, Share!

9 Responses to “Monday Morning “Guess the Artist””

• Nate says:

The first panel anatomy has Breyfogle written all over it.

• Matt Kish says:

Norm Breyfogle is the Alan Dean Foster of comics artists.

• Andy Bennett says:

Norm Breyfogle is the Egg McMuffin of comics artists.

• Nate says:

Can you fill me in on the Alan Dean Foster reference? I Googled the man, but I can’t make it out.

• Matt Kish says:

Hello Nate. It was actually a mildly disparaging reference. Also, I apologize if anything I write here is something you were already aware of. Alan Dean Foster is known primarily for writing the novelizations for many popular science fiction movies, television shows, and properties. In spite of the fact that he has actually written quite a few books of his own creation, he seems to always be remembered for these adaptations instead of his own work.

Since, in general, the nature of a novelization for Star Wars or Star Trek or Alien or Clash of the Titans or Krull or The Black Hole (Foster wrote them all, and the list goes on and on and on) is to be as bland, style-less, and generic as possible to appeal to the absolute widest number of buyers…oops, readers…some of my friends and I began to refer to any artist / writer / creator with an extremely generic style as “the Alan Dean Foster of X.”

I know it might rankle some, but I’ve never been able to tell Breyfogle apart from a couple dozen other comic artists, all of whom have decent storytelling skills and perfectly serviceable if utterly forgettable art.

• Nate says:

Ah, I get it. Thanks for the explanation.

Well, that was obviously an easy one.

Answer: Norm Breyfogle and Josef Rubenstein. This is from the Super Heroes Stamp Album, Book I: 1900 to 1909, jointly published by the United States Postal Service and DC Comics, 1998.

Breyfogle was guessed on the first try both times he’s been on here, so I’ll submit that he’s more distinctive than you think.