While we’re on the subject of our favorite television shows: for those that might be interested but are as yet unaware (probably a grand total of six people, I imagine…) this weekend will see the arrival of Neil Gaiman’s contribution to my personal Best Show Ever, Doctor Who, on BBC America (or BBC On Demand on my Time Warner service) or wherever on the internet people find shows their cable provider doesn’t carry.

Interview excerpts here.

Sadly, they rejected my suggestion for the episode title (see above) and went with The Doctor’s Wife.  Not familiar with the backstory of this 48-year old series?  He’s an alien with a time machine, the last of his race.  All you ever need to know.

Like this post? Share it!

8 Responses to “Planet of the Goth Wankers”

• Matt Kish says:

While nothing about the Doctor Who franchise really turns me off, I have just never ever been able to develop any kind of interest in it at all. I don’t know exactly why. I think that, despite Craig’s well-intentioned single sentence summation at the end, the staggering amount of continuity (there’s been like, what, 7 or 8 Doctors so far? But they’re really all the same? WTF?) is enough to make me run screaming.

• Craig says:

Strangely, to me the show has a non-dependance on continuity that appeals to me. Over the nearly fifty years the show has been on, there have been a gazillion contradictions and inconsistencies that a long time fan better be able to not worry too much about.

His race has the ability to heal when critically injured by regenerating into a new form. That’s how they’ve handled a change in lead actors on 10 occasions so far.

You know who’s a big Doctor Who fan now? Hanna.

I kid you not.

• Hanna says:

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!! Yes I AM A DOCTOR WHO FAN DARA! It is the best show in the WORLD!!!!!!!! But sadly I will miss it tonight but I will see it next Saturday along with the new one!

What’s this world coming to? First my brother started reading my blog, now my daughter. What’s next?

Oh, wait, grandma is writing on my Facebook wall…

• Tom says:

Like Craig said, the show’s designed to jump in at any given episode. That’s one of the reason’s the show’s lasted for so long. There usually is some overarching plotline each season but it’s not necessary to keep up with it. I missed two seasons (losing BBC America 🙁 ) and I jumped back in.

• Craig says:

Watched it last night; far spacier than usual, like watching a regular episode after taking a lot of cold medicine. Gaiman forgot the rule that no one else in the room is supposed to be odder than the Doctor himself. Also, elements of the plot came across like fan fiction (an observation I picked up elsewhere) of the what-if-these-two-characters-fell-in-love sort. Could have done without the overly mawkish ending, as well. Still mostly entertaining, though. A good mix of humor, mystery and horror, though I’m still nonplussed about the cult of Gaiman.

• Tom says:

Watched it yesterday and I loved it. Who’s taking a darker turn this season from where I stopped watching it (which was somewhere in the middle of Tennent’s run).